Replacing the universal programmer with something more clever

Found 11th Nov 2017
I've got a universal programmer installed for my central heating and hot water. This is pretty rubbish because I have to manually program times the heating/water goes on and off which means i either get too hot or too cold.

I want it so that if the temp drops in the house then the heating goes on. When it reaches a certain temp, it turns off.

I want the water to heat up itself when it falls below a certain temperature or when new water is pumped in. Having said that, probably just better to heat at times I anticipate use?

I want to be able to control stuff with my smartphone.

Now I know about nest etc but I've been told there are lots of cheaper and sometimes better alternatives out there.

My question - what is your setup like, does it match my requirements above and what would you recommend as a device to install?

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

I have tried a few systems. I have a honeywell wireless programmer which can be moved to the room you're in.

It also comes on earlier if the house is particularly cold. It's basically a dumb programmer with a few extra functions, frost, holiday, manual etc. It's not Internet enabled but I think it's a bit of a gimmick having Internet connectivity. All the energy savings for nest etc are based on no having any programmer as the extra savings are so small for being able to turn it off if you're at work late are minimal.

i assume you have a gas boiler and immersion hot water tank. you can get HIVE for the boiler, which allows you to control the boiler remotely.

you can get a room thermostat installed, which will turn the boiler on when the room gets below the set temperature. you can get a thermostat installed in the immersion hot water tank, which will keep the water at the said temperature.

Original Poster

mutley114 m ago

i assume you have a gas boiler and immersion hot water tank. you can get …i assume you have a gas boiler and immersion hot water tank. you can get HIVE for the boiler, which allows you to control the boiler remotely.you can get a room thermostat installed, which will turn the boiler on when the room gets below the set temperature. you can get a thermostat installed in the immersion hot water tank, which will keep the water at the said temperature.

thanks. Did some research and nest looks better as it can learn as you go.
Questions:
where does the temperate get sensed from? I assime the actual next device? If so, wouldnt that give the temp for just one part of the house? How would you measure may?
Also, what would I need to buy to make sure hot water tank is a max temperature? I assume it keep filling up as the water goes down (just generally speaking)

Thanks!

We've got a salus its not internet connected, it has a wireless thermostat and controller(in one)measures room temp and turns its self on when whichever room its in falls below a temp you've set, it has 5 timed presets(which i set up, a bit long winded but easy to do) and if you need to boost the heating for a bit longer easy to do from the controller

sido55 m ago

We've got a salus its not internet connected, it has a wireless thermostat …We've got a salus its not internet connected, it has a wireless thermostat and controller(in one)measures room temp and turns its self on when whichever room its in falls below a temp you've set, it has 5 timed presets(which i set up, a bit long winded but easy to do) and if you need to boost the heating for a bit longer easy to do from the controller

+1

easiest and cheapest option (£30)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants