Groups

Replacing/reseating laptop screen cable is it difficult?

I have built and taken apart loads of pcs over the years but never a laptop.

A laptop I just bought seems to have a loose ribbon cable or so I assume, when I first powered on I couldnt see anything until I looked closely I could make out the screen, the pc failed to boot on first attempt though worked on subseqent ones.

It works attached to a monitor at least at boot up but as I cant see what I am doing so cant extend/replace to monitor.

So do you think its the ribbon cable as the screen looks intact and in excellent condition.

9 Comments

Could be the ribbon cable, it all depends on what make laptop it is, and how old it is. I repaired one of the old E System PC World jobbies once, and it was a pig. Sometimes you have to break the laptop apart, the whole thing to get access. And even then it wont work properly!!

Depends what make it is but some makers give detailed instructions on how to take the laptop apart (HP for example).

tony_s1;8383265

Depends what make it is but some makers give detailed instructions on how … Depends what make it is but some makers give detailed instructions on how to take the laptop apart (HP for example).

+1

Lenovo have these as well and all the old IBM ones as well. They are designed for the repair engineers and have very good photos, instructions, sequences etc

Sounds like the backlight has gone to me,

Another vote here for the backlight. If the screen is very dark but you can still see the desktop, icons, etc then it does sound like that is the problem.

Original Poster

Thanks, well at first all I could see was this dark desktop but even that was unreadable unless you put it under a bright light and even then I could see a picture was there but not what was on it.

Its a modern HP Pavillion btw

try a replacement inverter

ryouga;8383574

Thanks, well at first all I could see was this dark desktop but even that … Thanks, well at first all I could see was this dark desktop but even that was unreadable unless you put it under a bright light and even then I could see a picture was there but not what was on it.Its a modern HP Pavillion btw

Have a look on the HP UK site, you should be able to download the service guide for your specific model. At least it will give you an idea of the work involved.

I've built loads of desktops but only ever taken one laptop (an HP) apart. A very frustrating experience. :x

Original Poster

tony_s1;8383837

Have a look on the HP UK site, you should be able to download the service … Have a look on the HP UK site, you should be able to download the service guide for your specific model. At least it will give you an idea of the work involved. I've built loads of desktops but only ever taken one laptop (an HP) apart. A very frustrating experience. :x

I have got most of it apart without help from the website but a bit stuck now lol since I cant lift off part of it despite getting all screws out, I want to do it as the laptop is filthy inside, got all the cables out of the screen though and reckon I can temp fix hinge.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1015
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?917
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2484
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416151

See more discussions