Reporting Spotify for fraud

Found 8th Nov 2017
Nothing else else works. I've never had a free trial or an account but £9.99 a month comes out.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Be sensible, chap. Why would Spotify be defrauding you of £9.99 a month? How do you think that would even work?

If Spotify are charging you £9.99 a month, it's because someone has given them your card details. That someone may have been you. If it wasn't you, then you need to contact your bank to report that your card details have been stolen, and that someone is using your card to make purchases without your permission. You should receive a refund of all charges made (bank's obligations under the Consumer Credit Act) when you do this, after an investigation.
ceres25 m ago

So when you signed up in Aug 2011, that has nothing to do with it? Or …So when you signed up in Aug 2011, that has nothing to do with it? Or when you signed up again as a student 9 months ago? How many other times have you opened accounts?

Busted
56 Comments
Be sensible, chap. Why would Spotify be defrauding you of £9.99 a month? How do you think that would even work?

If Spotify are charging you £9.99 a month, it's because someone has given them your card details. That someone may have been you. If it wasn't you, then you need to contact your bank to report that your card details have been stolen, and that someone is using your card to make purchases without your permission. You should receive a refund of all charges made (bank's obligations under the Consumer Credit Act) when you do this, after an investigation.
Have you contacted them before you decided you wanted to report them for fraud?
Make sure you contact your bank asap, or other charges might appear on your account (if someone has your details)
I contacted my bank in August when I found the monthly charges then Spotify. But it's carried on. No emails nothing from them except one email that same day asking me to start a free trial, I ignored it. They just carried on.
I got a new card in September and nothing changed, £10 a month withdrawn
Just cancel the direct debit surely??
ceres25 m ago

So when you signed up in Aug 2011, that has nothing to do with it? Or …So when you signed up in Aug 2011, that has nothing to do with it? Or when you signed up again as a student 9 months ago? How many other times have you opened accounts?

Busted
mymymy40 m ago

I got a new card in September and nothing changed, £10 a month withdrawn

A new card will still have the same account details, that wouldn't change direct debits set-up
ceres1 h, 18 m ago

I LOVE it when this happens
You can logon to internet banking and cancel the direct debit
ceres2 h, 42 m ago

I've never ever had a Spotify account and I don't have a student discount card either. I don't even have Amazon prime. Don't assume everyone is the same as yourself.
Hallsie2 h, 38 m ago

Just cancel the direct debit surely??

It's not direct debit. That's why the bank can't stop it but now I've reported it to them if they attempt to take anymore it will flag up. I've never used Spotify in my life and have no desire to
miikeyblue1 h, 27 m ago

I LOVE it when this happens

When what happens? When someone gives a cretinous reply?
Did you contact spotify yet?
mymymy1 h, 9 m ago

When what happens? When someone gives a cretinous reply?

From this thread:

hotukdeals.com/dea…968

32394366-8xvId.jpg

Wasn't tricky to find. You have had a Spotify account.
miikeyblue6 m ago

From this …From this thread:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/spotify-unlimited-free-for-12-months-existing-customers-50meg-bb-virginmedia-994968[Image] Wasn't tricky to find. You have had a Spotify account.

And a few posts later the OP posted this

"32394387.jpg32394387.jpg
mymymy14th Aug 2011

NOT HAPPY!
I got this email....

We are glad you liked our Spotify offer. We are really sorry though, but you can only get the offer if you got an email from us about it. (We would love to make it available to everyone, but we only had a limited amount to give away this time).

We are bringing out great new offers for our customers all the time, so if youre already with Virgin Media keep an eye on your inbox, or check out the latest offers here.
shop.virginmedia.com/exi…tml

Thanks

The Virgin Media Team

I grabbed the deal really fast as well. "

Edited by: "tregs" 8th Nov 2017
tregs9 m ago

And a few posts later the OP posted this"[Image] [Image] mymymy14th Aug …And a few posts later the OP posted this"[Image] [Image] mymymy14th Aug 2011NOT HAPPY! I got this email....We are glad you liked our Spotify offer. We are really sorry though, but you can only get the offer if you got an email from us about it. (We would love to make it available to everyone, but we only had a limited amount to give away this time).We are bringing out great new offers for our customers all the time, so if youre already with Virgin Media keep an eye on your inbox, or check out the latest offers here.shop.virginmedia.com/exi…tmlThanksThe Virgin Media Team I grabbed the deal really fast as well. "

I didn't read that far down. Apologies!
2011 lol. Where does it say i had an account? It was for someone in my family who has a SIM on my account. What are you pointing out?

Regarding the nus card, my daughter is at college, at the time I thought she had a student email address, she didn't. Why don't you post the comments where I said I was getting a refund? I clearly stated I didn't know what I was doing. Nothing has changed.
Edited by: "mymymy" 8th Nov 2017
miikeyblue50 m ago

From this …From this thread:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/spotify-unlimited-free-for-12-months-existing-customers-50meg-bb-virginmedia-994968[Image] Wasn't tricky to find. You have had a Spotify account.

Just to add, my house doesn't have a cable from a telegraph pole, my bt comes underground like vm.
.MUFC.29 m ago

Just to add, my house doesn't have a cable from a telegraph pole, my bt …Just to add, my house doesn't have a cable from a telegraph pole, my bt comes underground like vm.

I don't understand technology at all, I used to think electricity was magic lol.
I'm sticking with them for now, they are all as bad as each other.
miikeyblue1 h, 50 m ago

I didn't read that far down. Apologies!

What does my post tell you? It confirms I have a Virgin Media account and tried to get the offer but couldnt. What is your point?
mymymy3 h, 24 m ago

It's not direct debit. That's why the bank can't stop it but now I've …It's not direct debit. That's why the bank can't stop it but now I've reported it to them if they attempt to take anymore it will flag up. I've never used Spotify in my life and have no desire to

No it's a continuous card payment. The bank should refund you everything if you state you don't recognise any of the payments

FCA INFO: Any related payments taken after you ask for a continuous payment authority to be stopped are considered to be unauthorised transactions. Card issuers must refund these payments and any related charges immediately. If payments continue, contact your card issuer to arrange a refund. If it fails to do so, you should make a complaint to the card issuer and, then, if you are not satisfied with its response, take the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
OllieSt6 m ago

No it's a continuous card payment. The bank should refund you everything …No it's a continuous card payment. The bank should refund you everything if you state you don't recognise any of the paymentsFCA INFO: Any related payments taken after you ask for a continuous payment authority to be stopped are considered to be unauthorised transactions. Card issuers must refund these payments and any related charges immediately. If payments continue, contact your card issuer to arrange a refund. If it fails to do so, you should make a complaint to the card issuer and, then, if you are not satisfied with its response, take the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Apparently I didn't ask them in August but it's been set up today. I'm thinking that the bank should have done this earlier when I first reported the problem to them months ago. They said I'd receive something from them in the post. I need to make a complaint for sure.
mymymy4 m ago

Apparently I didn't ask them in August but it's been set up today. I'm …Apparently I didn't ask them in August but it's been set up today. I'm thinking that the bank should have done this earlier when I first reported the problem to them months ago. They said I'd receive something from them in the post. I need to make a complaint for sure.

The bank should refund you immediately. Just say you informed Spotify and that after the 1st payment and that you just thought they would do as requested. It is none of anyones business to question you why it has taken you so long to take up this matter. I think you can go back 6 years. You tell the bank that FCA guidelines state:

Any related payments taken after you ask for a continuous payment authority to be stopped are considered to be unauthorised transactions. Card issuers must refund these payments and any related charges immediately.
Thanks I'll do it tomorrow as they referenced my call so the info is all there
ceres9 h, 12 m ago

Not so smart now are you? The links you posted show you up for what you are, twunt.
ceres8 h, 7 m ago

I didn't actually post any links. And I'm not the one with a continuous …I didn't actually post any links. And I'm not the one with a continuous authority on my card that's apparently been running for months, that I've done nothing about and for a Spotify account which I've forgotten about. Perhaps you should take better care of your finances in future

It was my VM account offering Spotify for 12 months, my son wanted it. NEVER had a Spotify account so why do you keep going on about it?
The money taken is since 2016.
mymymy1 m ago

The money taken is since 2016.

Then ask your kids which one has a Spotify account login to the account and remove your payment details. It's not fraud on their end as the issue is clearly your paying on behalf of them as a parent
ceres19 m ago

So your son used your card without your knowledge or permission to open an …So your son used your card without your knowledge or permission to open an account. That isn't fraud on Spotify's part. Perhaps you should change the title of this thread.

An account was never opened in 2011. It was an email from VM telling me the offer had gone. My son doesn't live at home anymore but had a VM SIM. I'm waiting for you to show me where I've said I had a student card because the link shows I didn't have one.
OP. it's a completely different scenario if a family member has used your card without your knowledge. You are still entitled to stop payments as far back as when you first informed either Spotify or the debit card supplier. What you will face is that Spotify will just state that the procedure to stop payments is quite straightforward if the payments are actually managing an account. If it's an account that you are unaware of think twice about reporting fraud if in fact the fraud was being committed by a family member. Depending on their age, it might be opening up a whole can of worms.
ceres51 m ago

So you didn't open and account and give Spotify your card details. And …So you didn't open and account and give Spotify your card details. And your son didn't open an account and give Spotify your card details. So here's what happened. Some criminal Spotify employee dreamed up a random name to open an account. And it happened to be your name. Same employee dreams up a 16 digit card number to go with the name. The name and account number happen to be yours. The employee then dreams up a card expiry date. Wow, matches your name and card number. The masterstroke, the employee dreams up a CVV number - and it matches! So the employee activates an account with all of these miraculously accurate details and starts taking money every month. And here's where the employee gets lucky - you're a bit financially challenged and don't bother checking your accounts and so they get a nice income stream for providing no service.Do you have a any idea how ridiculous this thread is? You've had multiple interactions with Spotify in the past, whether you 'think' you opened an account or not, they didn't magic your card details out of thin air. You need to look at your own incompetence before you start pointing fingers crying fraud. And there is a process for cancelling a continuous card authority - you haven't followed it. Not Spotify's fault. Yours.

Hello. You remind me of another heavenly body.
OllieSt35 m ago

OP. it's a completely different scenario if a family member has used your …OP. it's a completely different scenario if a family member has used your card without your knowledge. You are still entitled to stop payments as far back as when you first informed either Spotify or the debit card supplier. What you will face is that Spotify will just state that the procedure to stop payments is quite straightforward if the payments are actually managing an account. If it's an account that you are unaware of think twice about reporting fraud if in fact the fraud was being committed by a family member. Depending on their age, it might be opening up a whole can of worms.

Have got into the account and it says I'm Spotify free and would I like a free trial but taking money all the same. I've just got off the phone from my bank and they are refunding me.
In August when I got hold of Spotify and told them bla bla bla i thought that was the end of it but looking in my junk folder I was sent an email saying I'd just joined, and they took money. Interestingly the bank can see a couple of months where no money was taken. All very odd. It's definitely not a family member.
ceres1 h, 1 m ago

So you didn't open and account and give Spotify your card details. And …So you didn't open and account and give Spotify your card details. And your son didn't open an account and give Spotify your card details. So here's what happened. Some criminal Spotify employee dreamed up a random name to open an account. And it happened to be your name. Same employee dreams up a 16 digit card number to go with the name. The name and account number happen to be yours. The employee then dreams up a card expiry date. Wow, matches your name and card number. The masterstroke, the employee dreams up a CVV number - and it matches! So the employee activates an account with all of these miraculously accurate details and starts taking money every month. And here's where the employee gets lucky - you're a bit financially challenged and don't bother checking your accounts and so they get a nice income stream for providing no service.Do you have a any idea how ridiculous this thread is? You've had multiple interactions with Spotify in the past, whether you 'think' you opened an account or not, they didn't magic your card details out of thin air. You need to look at your own incompetence before you start pointing fingers crying fraud. And there is a process for cancelling a continuous card authority - you haven't followed it. Not Spotify's fault. Yours.

You've got issues mate. I've never opened an account and nowhere does it say i did. Your beginning to sound like a troll so go away and bug someone else.
Edited by: "mymymy" 9th Nov 2017
Kmore5 m ago

Hello. You remind me of another heavenly body.

Multiple usernames troll
ceres2 h, 6 m ago

In your post preceding this quote replying to OllieSt you confirmed you …In your post preceding this quote replying to OllieSt you confirmed you got into the account.You've studiously avoided answering the points that have been put you and you've resorted to ad hom attacks. You don't get to choose who replies or how they reply so if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Your referring to this?
"Have got into the account and it says I'm Spotify free and would I like a free trial but taking money all the same. I've just got off the phone from my bank and they are refunding me".

I got into the account yesterday after clicking I'd forgotten my details.
The username I apparently have is not something a normal person would use. I sent a message yesterday and today but as yet no reply.
The account set up says I'm Spotify free and I'm offered a free trial. What have I avoided and why are you so intent on catching me out?
Edited by: "mymymy" 9th Nov 2017
You know you could have used another email address which is linked to a paid subscription. Just because you have one free account doesn't mean you don't have another.
As far as I'm aware Spotify can't just magically get your bank details, I've used the free version for years, never had to hand mine over. The username could be linked to facebook most likely, mine is all numbers and I had to faff about after leaving FB.
Edited by: "bynouk" 9th Nov 2017
emodan24 m ago

You know you could have used another email address which is linked to a …You know you could have used another email address which is linked to a paid subscription. Just because you have one free account doesn't mean you don't have another.

I thought I'd be able to see more details on the account but they don't allow any real access. I can log out on all devices but there's nothing to show any activity. The emails I've sent both refer me to the community to get answers to my questions. It's automated! Their live chat is gone, no phone number or customer services. All the things your normally avoid.
mymymy1 m ago

I thought I'd be able to see more details on the account but they don't …I thought I'd be able to see more details on the account but they don't allow any real access. I can log out on all devices but there's nothing to show any activity. The emails I've sent both refer me to the community to get answers to my questions. It's automated! Their live chat is gone, no phone number or customer services. All the things your normally avoid.

Request password reset emails via their site for all the email addresses you use and may have used and wait and see if you have an account under another
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants