Groups
    EXPIRED

REQ: Notebook / Netbook Wanted - Advice needed pls.

Hi,

Decided to get myself a notebook for my hols to watch movies and surf the net etc whilst there. My spec is that I want one which is going to costs circa 200-250 pound. Must have over 100GB of hardrvie space. And, also I'd like it to be relatively small, somthing between 8-12 inches monitor size.

I've seen the very good offer at the moment on one off here, buts its 16inches, so guess that one is not as portable as I'd like.

The best I've found so far is an Acer one on the below link. Anyone know if this is decent please?

shop.bt.com/pro…tml

Your help will be really appreciated and I'll take on baord any suggestions etc.

Thanks,

Dan

14 Comments

is battery life important at all?

samsung nc10 nuff said:thumbsup:

I was looking at the Acer and Samsung nc10. Friday night
    Got Nc10 from ************** £309 2 years warr'ty inc slip case.
    Works great

I would recommend the Samsung Q35 / 45 they are going down in price these days, if you are watching movies i wouldn't recommend a netbook they aren't entirely designed for that and you would only end up disappointed with the poor graphic performance from the smaller models.

The Samsung also boasts a ~6 hour battery life i have had the Q25 for a year or two and cant fault in infact would go as far as saying i love it

although i cant quote prices etc been out the notebook buying game for some time

edit>

the samsung q35 is 12 inch that sort of size

Original Poster

Battery life was something i forgot to put on, but yeah, this is really important.

Re: The quality of movies. Currently I watch them on my ipod video when away. Playing a avi file through this Samsung surely must be an improvement to this isnt it?? Or are these pretty poor then?

Definitely go for the Samsung NC10, nothing else will come close to that. It has everything you want and can be picked up for just over £260

but for movies I don't think a netbook, I think you may have to sacrifice one of your needs, or go for a higher priced notebook.

]http//ww…nre

Perfect for what you want at £189
    & for another £40 you can get this battery which is about 9 hours life, but it takes about 2 weeks to come

]http//ww…493

I use my EEE 701 for movies and its great

IMO the eee 701 is a little too small (and this is coming from an ex-owner!)

I'd recommend the NC10 if you want a rocking battery - if not then the MSI Wind.

Jakg;5178139

IMO the eee 701 is a little too small (and this is coming from an … IMO the eee 701 is a little too small (and this is coming from an ex-owner!)I'd recommend the NC10 if you want a rocking battery - if not then the MSI Wind.

I was not suggesting the OP get one, but I still love my EEE 701, it works for what I need, I have a very Top of the range Desktop, and a Good Server, and the 701 is for surfing on the move or while watching the TV, and watching Films on long train jouneys and It is great for that. I have upgraded the Ram in mine to 2Gb thou, but makes it even better lol

If i did not have a Netbook already I would buy the Acer Aspire One with 120GB HD for £189 I think

Original Poster

Chuckles1001 - You say you watch films on yours which would tick the box of why I want one. They are watchable right? And would I be able to view these on the Acer Aspire as I fancy purchaing one of these after the positive reviews?

Thanks all.

Original Poster

Another thing - Whats Linux like? I've never heard of it before, but assume its a substitute for Xp. Is this something I'd need to delete and overwrite with Xp, or is it perfectly capable itself.

Thanks,

biggielove;5183755

Another thing - Whats Linux like? I've never heard of it before, but … Another thing - Whats Linux like? I've never heard of it before, but assume its a substitute for Xp. Is this something I'd need to delete and overwrite with Xp, or is it perfectly capable itself.Thanks,

Linux is just another operating system. Think windows XP, vista etc but made by someone else. Simply put it is how you interact with the computer and your programs. However the down side to linux is that it requires more work to get programs you might want to work from windows over, however linux as and of itself has 100s of **free** alternatives. So worth a try, maybe consider visiting your local computer retailer that might have some models showing the linux operating system in use, try before you buy is always a good idea.

I myself had a similar issue to yourself of which netbook to get and decided on an NC10 as the trackpad buttons on the acer aspire one are just frankly placed stupidly. Plus the NC10 has a much better standard battery and acer have in the past stuffed me up when it came to warranty repairs so the samsung won for me.

No matter which netbook you go for you wont be disappointed but if movies and internet with a long battery life are what you want then the NC10 fills those boots well as I can get a good 6hours of basic browsing online with my NC10 off the standard battery. You will be lucky to get half that with the acer.

Simply weigh up the pros and cons of all the laptops you have looked at and decided based on your own budget what to compromise one and what to make sure to have. At the end of the day most of the netbooks with larger hard drives will do you proud so long as you stick to main stream makes.

biggielove;5183755

Another thing - Whats Linux like? I've never heard of it before, but … Another thing - Whats Linux like? I've never heard of it before, but assume its a substitute for Xp. Is this something I'd need to delete and overwrite with Xp, or is it perfectly capable itself.Thanks,

Linux itself isn't a single operating system, it comes in lots of different varients so asking what it's like doesn't make much sense - that depends on which distribution you're using.

However, a lot of them behave similarly to Windows and OS X and are generally as capable. They're not guaranteed to run the windows version of program though, some programs will work if WINE is installed, and others often have identical Linux versions (some web browsers for example) and some will have Linux equivelents.

The eee 901 was posted on here a while ago for £180, and if you can get it at that price then it's a great deal as it's smaller, lighter and has the same battery life as the NC10.

Original Poster

Had a look around after work and I reckon I'm going to go for the N120. Looks fantastic.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should pay? Can find them around 300 quid, but seen some posts around saying they are likely to drop soon. However when I look at places like play.com they are 380, so is this 300 I've seen the dropped price that its likely to stay to for some time pls?

Cheers,
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Swarovski styling mirror from Hadleigh.11
      2. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1145
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64556
      4. Win Swarovski earrings with OK magazine11

See more discussions