Request Competition for next year

Found 22nd Dec 2017
There seem to be a lot of people creating and using multiple accounts to gain advantage over proper members.

Please could we have a competition just for long term members next year.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Toptrumpet2 m ago

Even @deeky ‘s Christmas competition had clear instructions in the opening …Even @deeky ‘s Christmas competition had clear instructions in the opening post on who was eligible to enter. Yet time after time newbies tried their luck all to win a socket set from Halfords.

It did have a lifetime guarantee

I think this is the first time I've ever been able to look at the main prize winner's list in the Flamedeer comp and not recognise a single one

.MUFC.1 m ago

They should have a prize just for us pioneer members :).

How about a zimmer frame and a long service medal

Even @deeky ‘s Christmas competition had clear instructions in the opening post on who was eligible to enter. Yet time after time newbies tried their luck all to win a socket set from Halfords.
36 Comments

More people = More clicks = More money...

So it will be a 'NO'!

I do agree with you there.
However, I’ve noticed lots of what I call newbies asking for meerkat or unidays codes or silly ask threads such as This (as a random example), and when you click on their profile it looks like they’ve all been members for years but never engaged on the site before???.
I’m certain there must be a way to manipulate the profile date of joining somehow and that would need addressing before any competition was posted.

.MUFC.1 m ago

How about a zimmer frame and a long service medal

In past years they did have ones that only certain members could win although I always found them too restrictive as one of the conditions was to have posted a certain number of deals. I rarely come across a deal that hasn’t already been posted on here so I never had the right level

Original Poster

Toptrumpet9 m ago

I do agree with you there.However, I’ve noticed lots of what I call n …I do agree with you there.However, I’ve noticed lots of what I call newbies asking for meerkat or unidays codes or silly ask threads such as This (as a random example), and when you click on their profile it looks like they’ve all been members for years but never engaged on the site before???. I’m certain there must be a way to manipulate the profile date of joining somehow and that would need addressing before any competition was posted.

If you click on the picture/logo next to their name or in profile it shows the date they joined

Even @deeky ‘s Christmas competition had clear instructions in the opening post on who was eligible to enter. Yet time after time newbies tried their luck all to win a socket set from Halfords.

Toptrumpet2 m ago

Even @deeky ‘s Christmas competition had clear instructions in the opening …Even @deeky ‘s Christmas competition had clear instructions in the opening post on who was eligible to enter. Yet time after time newbies tried their luck all to win a socket set from Halfords.

It did have a lifetime guarantee

ajm0074 m ago

If you click on the picture/logo next to their name or in profile it shows …If you click on the picture/logo next to their name or in profile it shows the date they joined

But I think those dates aren’t correct or can be manipulated. Just by the sheer numbers that haven’t had any activity since registration, say 2014, that are now asking for movie codes etc.

One solution would be to limit trading to accounts that have been created x days/months prior to the comp

Original Poster

s795 m ago

One solution would be to limit trading to accounts that have been created …One solution would be to limit trading to accounts that have been created x days/months prior to the comp

That maybe a good idea ☺

s791 h, 8 m ago

One solution would be to limit trading to accounts that have been created …One solution would be to limit trading to accounts that have been created x days/months prior to the comp

I bet trading has no bearing on the competition at all, most people will have more than one of everything by the end of it.

I think the site needs to be more transparent on how they are generated plenty of time I gave spent browsing for a couple of hours and not seen one then others get three or four. Log on in a morning and one pops up within minutes.

No chance if change though as it’s the busiest time for clicks and new users each year I bet, only time a change might happen is when someone will report the site for using a lottery with no real rules. Someone will eventually they always try and spoil the fun.

I just had a spare over hot chocolate pop up now and he comp has finished

simonwakefield11 h, 22 m ago

In past years they did have ones that only certain members could win …In past years they did have ones that only certain members could win although I always found them too restrictive as one of the conditions was to have posted a certain number of deals. I rarely come across a deal that hasn’t already been posted on here so I never had the right level

Yeah but shirley after 5 years you could have come across one deal worthy of posting.
Or just do what many multi's do upon returning and just post some random deals.

I think this is the first time I've ever been able to look at the main prize winner's list in the Flamedeer comp and not recognise a single one

.MUFC.1 h, 42 m ago

They used to. Not sure why they removed that

Ooh don't get knickers in a twist people, it's only a website and is manipulated by a lot of things, in the big wide world lots worse happen. Don't become a victim

deeky15 m ago

I think this is the first time I've ever been able to look at the main …I think this is the first time I've ever been able to look at the main prize winner's list in the Flamedeer comp and not recognise a single one

Don't worry deek, I got three so will post you one

.MUFC.1 h, 59 m ago

Why would you want a prize when you have the badge?
32883591-DBMBe.jpg

Isnt it just like someone entering a competition for the Gadget Show and has never watched an episode before? They get the same chance as Joe Bloggs who watches it 24/7.

The competition is run to drive traffic to the site. It wouldnt be very beneficial to the site if it excluded new members or those without a great deal of activity.

RossD8926 m ago

The competition is run to drive traffic to the site. It wouldnt be very …The competition is run to drive traffic to the site. It wouldnt be very beneficial to the site if it excluded new members or those without a great deal of activity.

Some people don't understand marketing

shadey121 h, 55 m ago

Why would you want a prize when you have the badge?[Image]

A competition just for pioneers, it'd increase my odds as not many of us left ;).

They run to comp to attract new members and increase site traffic and referral purchases.

Its really quite simple.

They don’t want to exclude new people they want to attract them.
Edited by: "joanddan7" 22nd Dec 2017

deeky2 h, 35 m ago

I think this is the first time I've ever been able to look at the main …I think this is the first time I've ever been able to look at the main prize winner's list in the Flamedeer comp and not recognise a single one

Well before it started and noticed there were no £2 Amazon vouchers I knew I wasn't winning anything!

.MUFC.4 h, 19 m ago

Seconded.

Original Poster

Although the comments mentioned here have valid points, there is still maybe the opportunity to have one for long term members as well. Or maybe some prizes exclusively, then that wouldn't change the new me!mber traffic.

ajm00716 m ago

Although the comments mentioned here have valid points, there is still …Although the comments mentioned here have valid points, there is still maybe the opportunity to have one for long term members as well. Or maybe some prizes exclusively, then that wouldn't change the new me!mber traffic.

Just bear in mind some of those newbies who win stick around... I won a flamedeer prize as a newbie in 2015 and I stuck around and posted more deals in my first month or so, than you have managed in your 11 years of being here #justsaying

PrincessJellybean9 m ago

Just bear in mind some of those newbies who win stick around... I won a …Just bear in mind some of those newbies who win stick around... I won a flamedeer prize as a newbie in 2015 and I stuck around and posted more deals in my first month or so, than you have managed in your 11 years of being here #justsaying

Oh bitchy.... You will fit right in here!

cuzzy55 m ago

Seconded.

You have been on the dark side so you are not eligible.

GAVINLEWISHUKD3 m ago

Oh bitchy.... You will fit right in here!

Haha, no I think I'm a bit too much for misc tbh, I be crawling back under my rock soon enough....

GAVINLEWISHUKD6 m ago

You have been on the dark side so you are not eligible.

But I have seen the light..... Amen brother.

.MUFC.4 h, 21 m ago

A competition just for pioneers, it'd increase my odds as not many of us …A competition just for pioneers, it'd increase my odds as not many of us left ;).

Pioneers? Nah, let's have a competition restricted to the class of 2005

simonwakefield122nd Dec

In past years they did have ones that only certain members could win …In past years they did have ones that only certain members could win although I always found them too restrictive as one of the conditions was to have posted a certain number of deals. I rarely come across a deal that hasn’t already been posted on here so I never had the right level

Couldn’t agree more, I been a member since 2008 but recall I couldn’t take part in the competition last year as my post count wasn’t high enough. Some of us visit the site often and try to post deals however, search to see if it’s been posted before rather have 200 member jump down our throat that’s it’s already been posted and voted cold.
Edited by: "samosa" 24th Dec 2017

Is it over now?

LOL @ some of the comments...

I bet most of you dont recognise Cloud The Cat..... Like LOADS of you that have been on here for AGES and years and way back to when it was the OLD site - a LONG time before registering and so on... But I dont see an issue with others that have joined entering a "COMPETITION"...

To discriminate against certain "lengths of memberships" or any other type of similar example would be ... .. .Well .. . plainly wrong....

Tis the Season of Goodwill to one and all!

Have a happy xmas!
I only needed one more Flamedeer.... Well a few actually! LOL!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants