Request to help to start legal campaign against Phones2UDirect

Hello people,

This thread has been started due to the sheer number of peope who have not received their rightful cashback from Phones2UDirect for 12 months free line rental deals.

This motivation for this thread started here: hotukdeals.com/for…e=7

Firstly, I urge that NO ONE buys a phone on a 12 month free line rental deal with this company - so many people are being conned out of their hard earned money. This company is very dishonest.

My father and I bought 2 such 12 months free line rental deals, and have received no money back from this company, who are claiming that they did not receive our cashback claim letters. I find it very hard to believe that our two separate letters posted on separate days both got lost in the post, as well as the letters of many of our friends whom we recommended buy a phone from this website. Granted, Royal Mail do lose a few letters now and then, but it is exceedingly rare and it has not happened to me once yet during my 21 year lifetime.

I know that many people on this forum have had exactly the same experience, so my father and i have vowed to fight back against this company, if not for our money then simply on the principle that such a fradulent company should not be allowed to carry on 'trading'.

If we get enough support, we can launch a class action law suit against this company and bring it to justice.

Thanks for all our your help,

Qi

36 Comments

Isnt it a must to send the letters by recorded delivery. Im sure this is what they always say when i look at these deals on the forum?

Original Poster

Even some people who have sent letters by recorded delivery are not getting their money back!

But even if the letters are not sent recorded delivery, surely the company should honor its deal?

But if you have sent them recorded and have a copy of your bills then you have proof, without this then you wouldnt have a case.

Unfortuntately gary_rip is correct.

All mobile retailers with cashback deals, GAMBLE on the fact that people will forget make mistakes and just not bother.
No offence but this is obvious but then I have had dealt with over 8 cashback contracts.
The trick is to always keep all paperwork sent via mail, make note of the specific requirements of your cashback contract for easy reference (saving T&Cs to ur PC doesn't count) and put alongside that the worked out dates for sending off bills along with multiple e-mail/calender/phone reminders to send them off and do so via recorded mail WITH cerificate of posting at the minimum (Special Delivery + ceritificate of posting is recommended)

The whole idea is to create too much hassle for the customer to bother and hence screw up.
The conditions are very clear from most retailers on this so create these quite legal hurdles, all it is, is administrative annoyances, can be easily achieved, but naive and people who want their freebies hasslefree always screw up and cost themselves hundreds, which in a way subcidises the rest of us who make the proper preparations.

If Phones2U have never paid anyone you have a good case, otherwise it seems to me u expect to circumvent your legal contract because you bypassed the conditions you agreed to and are upset about it, that won't hold up in a small claims or civil court.

Original Poster

Thanks for your comments guys. I am perfectly aware of what I am required to do for a 12 months free contract deal and have had many in the past (i,e, about 10). I am also perfectly aware of what theft means.

This company is stealing people's money. If i breached the contract, then its my fault and i should lose the money. If i stick to the terms of the contract, i should have my money back. Is that so unreasoanble?

If you have not bought a contract from this company, then you have no idea what i am talking about, so you have no need to be so condescending and explain to me how a 12 month free deal works.

I am asking for the help of people who have been conned by Phones2UDirect, not for just anyone on this forum who thinks they know better than me and that i must have screwed up in order for me not to get my money back.

Read the review thread about Phones2UDirect - there are many people in my situation. I did not circumvent my legal contract, and i find it very rude and disappointing that people like you have immediately decided to side with the company rather than the customers.

Well in your post you wrote...

"Even some people who have sent letters by recorded delivery are not getting their money back!"

Which would imply that you have not been sending them recorded. This is the reason for our helpful information especially provided by ]schizoboy. Don't get us wrong - if you can prove they received your letter and they still are not paying then that's a different story and i would suggest you file legal proceedings against them via the following website...

]https//ww…jsp

This is by far the easiest and cheapest way to issue legal proceedings.

So...did you send the required documents back to them via Recorded or Special Delivery or not?

Just going off what you originally said, u must see that.

My father and I bought 2 such 12 months free line rental deals, and have … My father and I bought 2 such 12 months free line rental deals, and have received no money back from this company, who are claiming that they did not receive our cashback claim letters. I find it very hard to believe that our two separate letters posted on separate days both got lost in the post, as well as the letters of many of our friends whom we recommended buy a phone from this website. Granted, Royal Mail do lose a few letters now and then, but it is exceedingly rare and it has not happened to me once yet during my 21 year lifetime.

Directly to that I am responding, that your father sent off claims without recorded or special delivery means and no certificate of postage means they will deny it, is it illegal when they probably did recieve it? Of course, reality and proving otherwise is an entirely different league though, hence all the suggested measures.

I'm not siding with the company I'm siding with abiding by contract details with common sense and appropriate measures, poor criminal and incompetent Royal Mail serves their purpose unfortunately.

I would be interested to know what % of non signed for RM Phones2u lose however, suspect all mobile retailers have a higher than normal percent. If you are so experienced in this why did your father not use recorded?

Original Poster

schizoboy

I would be interested to know what % of non signed for RM Phones2u lose … I would be interested to know what % of non signed for RM Phones2u lose however, suspect all mobile retailers have a higher than normal percent. If you are so experienced in this why did your father not use recorded?

Quite simply becuase this has never happened before with any other phone company! I realise that we should have used recorded delivery, after 8 or so previous contracts which went off without a hitch, why would we suspect that this company would lie and cheat us out of our money?

Read the thread about Phones2UDirect- plenty of people posting using recorded delivery have apparently not had their letters receieved, and i'll bet that Royal mail actually delivered the letters and that they were signed for.
Not many letters get lost by Royal Mail - packages maybe, but not letters.

If we can find enough people in the same position as us, we'll contact Watchdog and do whatever we can. I'm sure there's probably some legal action we can take. However you look at it, this company is breaking the law by stealing people's money. I refuse to believe that the British Legal system makes that such an easy thing to do.

On the Phones2UDirect website, the terms and conditions state that:"To claim each instalment you will be required to send us the complete original postal invoice from your network for the month you are claiming for. "
So we had to send off our entire original bill and couldn't just send a copy.

"i'll bet that Royal mail actually delivered the letters and that they were signed for"

[SIZE=2]If this was the case then you would be able to check via the tracking number on ]http//ww…com[/SIZE]

"So we had to send off our entire original bill and couldn't just send a copy."

That is true, you do need to send off the original but when we suggest taking a copy in case an instance like this was to happen. Then as least you have "proof".

While what they are doing in not "right" it does seem that the simple "best practices" when coming to claiming cashback have not been followed in this example and as such I'm sure you can appreciate and understand our original response.

Let's not turn this into a series of flames and get back to the original purpose. I'm sure that qpan and others regret not having used recorded or special delivery with phones2udirect and realise their mistake.

Qpan - you may want to tone back your accusations against phones2udirect. You appear to be directly accusing phones2udirect of fraud. This would be extremely difficult to prove and, if you are unable to do so, could lead to legal action against you for making that accusation. You must restrict your comments to things which you know to be factually accurate. I suggest that you edit your earlier posts to remove anything which could come back to haunt you.

In the previous thread, I advised that there were limited legal options where there was no proof of receipt. However, I went onto suggest that if qpan could identify large numbers of people in the same situation, this might be used to prove systematic abuse by phones2udirect. At the very least, it would be worth sending a letter from a lawyer threatening legal action on behalf of anyone in this situation.

I suggest that anyone in this situation should contact qpan with their details.

Lowtrawler,

I agree completely with what you say. However we wasn't starting to flame at all we was defending ourselves from the attacking comments made in our direction - all of which we have risen above and have now been forgotten.

"However, I went onto suggest that if qpan could identify large numbers of people in the same situation, this might be used to prove systematic abuse by phones2udirect."

This could also be pointed to Royal Mail as phones2udirect are not the only people in the chain!

Original Poster

The purpose of this thread was for other people in the same situation to provide evidence against this company. I was annoyed because instead of fulfilling that purpose, it turned into a thread discussing how foolish i was not to send the letters via recorded delivery, and assumptions that i must have "screwed up" for me to lose all my money.

Lowtrawler has been very helpful both in this thread and the feedback thread about phones2u direct, but i really do not understand why other people felt the need to post arrogant and unhelpful messages. For example:

schizoboy

The whole idea is to create too much hassle for the customer to bother … The whole idea is to create too much hassle for the customer to bother and hence screw up.The conditions are very clear from most retailers on this so create these quite legal hurdles, all it is, is administrative annoyances, can be easily achieved, but naive and people who want their freebies hasslefree always screw up and cost themselves hundreds, which in a way subcidises the rest of us who make the proper preparations.

Do you want to rub it in any more schizoboy? How would you like it if i stole £720 from you then called you naive and essentially stupid?

Original Poster

gary_rip

This could also be pointed to Royal Mail as phones2udirect are not the … This could also be pointed to Royal Mail as phones2udirect are not the only people in the chain!

1. I haven't thrown any attacking comments in your direction
2. Do you honestly believe that all the letters from my friends and family (around 6) who have used this company have been lost in the post? Only one person out of the people we know have received cashback from them.

He wasn't directing that at you - he was stating the motive behind the phone companies trying to get out of cash back.

I feel you have... "i find it very rude and disappointing that people like you" - Calling me rude and dissapointing for a start!

If its a dogey sorting office or postman at the phones2udirect end then a court could belive it - its not down to what i think!

If you feel Lowtrawler has been so helpful then i would recommend you take their advice!

Original Poster

gary_rip

While what they are doing in not "right" it does seem that the simple … While what they are doing in not "right" it does seem that the simple "best practices" when coming to claiming cashback have not been followed in this example and as such I'm sure you can appreciate and understand our original response.

by not "right" do you mean wrong?

simple "best practices"? - all that i did not do was send recorded. Copies of the bill can still be obtained from the Three website, so i did not need to copy them.
Even if i send it in again now, they will say its too late.

I think you underestimate me - i realise you have a lot of "reputation" on this forum, but that doesn't mean anything in real life.

Original Poster

gary_rip

He wasn't directing that at you - he was stating the motive behind the … He wasn't directing that at you - he was stating the motive behind the phone companies trying to get out of cash back.I feel you have... "i find it very rude and disappointing that people like you" - Calling me rude and dissapointing for a start!If its a dogey sorting office or postman at the phones2udirect end then a court could belive it - its not down to what i think!If you feel Lowtrawler has been so helpful then i would recommend you take their advice!

"I find it very rude and disappointing" is not calling you rude and disappointing.

I do intend to take his advice.

Don't want to get into the slanging match. But want to add my experience to the weight of evidence against Phones2uDirect.

Qpan, you have my sympathy. I too can ill afford to lose £720 to dishonest traders.

Fortunately, I seem to be one of the few people who have received a payment. I did use Special Delivery. After the 45 day wait they stated in the T&C's had been and gone, I phoned them almost daily. You can NEVER get to speak to anyone in the relevant department but I find a bit of courtesy, charm & persistence can get you a long way! I kept the pressure on whoever I did get to speak to (hint: Use saynoto0870.com. And don't just use the published phone numbers, try all the numbers around them too!). I also emailed almost every conceivable address firmly pointing out that the payment date in their T&C's had been and gone, and that I was prepared to go to small claims if claim not met. Most of my emails bounced but some of them got through.

Eventually my cheque was received (cheques actually ... my wife took out a contract too).

Qpan may have been unwise to have not used Special Delivery (NB - always use Special Delivery ... Recorded is absolutely worthless in disputes with the PO) but there is a bigger picture here. The company doesn't stipulate using recorded delivery in it's T&C's. There would seem to be a suspicious amount of mail not being received. It is well worth trying to get those people together to press for a class action.

I suspect P2uD are a pyramid scheme whereby they can only afford to pay out when they get sufficient new customers. It's all got to blow up in someones face eventually.

I currently have my 2nd set of cashback claims in. I will wait and see what happens. If the 45 days go by again I intend to buy a copy of the company reports and start appealing to the directors in person.

Original Poster

Thanks for your input Shieldsy - sorry about the slanging match you witnessed above - it was just a kick in the teeth to lose £720 and then get told what i should have done earlier. As if hindsight was a mystical skill!

I'm glad you managed to get your money! I have called them before, and i must say their sales staff are some of the most courteous people on a phone i have spoken to. However, they aren't the ones who deal with cashback, and could only email the claims department on my behalf (whom did not email me back).

Its such a shame the company only put helpful members of staff where sales are being made, but then they seem to be very money orientated and so its not unexpected, i guess.

I'll try contacting them some more. I did get an interesting email this morning (in reply to an email i sent last week) saying they had processed my claim and that i should have received a letter - nothing about whether the claim was successful or not, and i definately have not received a letter. I'd rather not go to court, but if needs be then i will.

Cheers for your helpful reply!

Update: when Phones2UDirect said "processing" they actuallly meant declining, as the letter states that they apparently did not receive my bill, or my fathers.

Another unhappy customer here...
I have sent 2 bills, both "signed for", and I have the signatures.
I even received an email response to one query on 19th September (none from the other 20 odd emails!), stating

HiSorry for the delay, your claim has been agreed and a cheque is … HiSorry for the delay, your claim has been agreed and a cheque is beingraised and you should receive it shortlyRegardsCashbacks Dept Phones 2 U Direct

Of course, nothing has been received.
Cheers,
Mike

Original Poster

Ok - here's an update. After my father consulted his legal advisor and trading standards, its looking promising that we can do something about this company. My father has taken his lawers advice and sent a recorded letter to P2UDirect to ask them for our cheques to be sent to us within 10 working days. If we do not receive them, the lawyer says to report back and that he will do somethng about it against the company on our behalf.

So if anyone else has been conned by P2UDirect and wants to support us, email your experience to [email protected]

Thanks!

The ball is rolling...

good luck qpan

Nothing personlly but I keep earing this time again moblie phone comanys offering cashback and it either never gets paid out, or the company goes bump..leaving the customer high and dry. I dont touch them with a pole.

Hellscaretaker

Nothing personlly but I keep earing this time again moblie phone comanys … Nothing personlly but I keep earing this time again moblie phone comanys offering cashback and it either never gets paid out, or the company goes bump..leaving the customer high and dry. I dont touch them with a pole.

There are many many satisfied customers of Cash-Back mobile phone deals. I had no problems at all reclaiming all my money from OneStopPhoneShop.

What we need to do is weed out the bad ones so we get left with the reputable ones. The feedback threads started by DuckMagicUK2 should help us with the weeding.

Original Poster

shieldsy

There are many many satisfied customers of Cash-Back mobile phone deals. … There are many many satisfied customers of Cash-Back mobile phone deals. I had no problems at all reclaiming all my money from OneStopPhoneShop.What we need to do is weed out the bad ones so we get left with the reputable ones. The feedback threads started by DuckMagicUK2 should help us with the weeding.

I totally agree - i have complete faith that companies like Coolnewmobile and Phoneboxdirect (note - NOT Phones2UDirect, different company!) will give me my cashback, and have used them on many occasions. The downside is that for those two companies (part of the same group-mobile affiliates) require 5 cashback claims, but after having had 3 contracts with them in the past and my girlfriend using them twice too, i feel that they are very reliable.

I think that more people need to leave feedback - both positive and negative, and that a rating system should probably be allowed to rate the companies by people who have used them. This will warn people against bad companies without having to read hundreds of pages of messages.

That way, fewer people will buy phones from companies with bad reputations and have more of a chance of getting their cashback!

Following the advice from qpan's dad, I sent an email and snail mail threatening to contact the TSA (Trading Standards), and today I have received a cheque for my 1st cashback installment (which was due in July).

Hoorah for qpan and his Dad! Let's hope others have similar success.
(and I hope the remaining cheques come without as much hassle, but at least it is a start)

I've gone to CarPhoneWarehouse for my next contract, as I think they are much more trustworthy ;-)

[SIZE=2]My cashback claim has taken over 3 months and I have finally received a cheque today. I emailed and used the website to send them what was in effect a final demand. I gave them 48hrs to respond before I would get my solicitor to send a letter before action. I did this on tuesday 21st and I got home today to a cheque dated the 21st. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]BTW there is a website that will send a letter before action for you for free (first letter free £2 each after that) I can't remember the site off the top of my head but I will get it tomorrow if anyone wants it. They will also initiate small claims preceedings for you after the 7 days if you want.[/SIZE]

Seems like they've gone out of business!!

shieldsy

Seems like they've gone out of business!!

who has? phones2udirect? What makes you say that?

No ... DebtCollectorsOnline .. or at least the link to their website is defunct. Who collects bad debts from a debt collectors?!!

shieldsy

No ... DebtCollectorsOnline .. or at least the link to their website is … No ... DebtCollectorsOnline .. or at least the link to their website is defunct. Who collects bad debts from a debt collectors?!!

works for me.

signed up yesterday and got a letter from them today. Included a letter from one of the solictors they work with giving some t&c.

the solicitor was luttons dunford from gloucester

Ok ... working for me too now!! Which makes the last couple of posts a bit redundant!

Original Poster

We're just using family legal cover - this will take Phones2Udirect to court for on our behalf.

I can't believe some people on this forum - here i am trying to help people get some justice against this company, and people are leaving me negative rep such as "numpty"- lol! I really can't understand it.

Does anyone know when they say on the Cashback T & C to send in the original invoice and letter to them after 6 month, 9 month and 12 month which month do they mean to send it to them I have bought my phone on a 12 month contract at the begining of January 2007. Does it mean I should send a claim in after my June invoice, then after September invoice and then after December invoice?
Also does anyone know if you need to send any additional information to them other than the order/invoice number from them (I have this), all invoice from my mobile contract and the letter stated in their T & C?

Hi, I have total and utter sympathy for you; I was scammed by a company called Mobiles4free last year and I am now paying £120 per month to Orange (should be £25 after re-imbursement!) as they say that I have a contractual agreement regardless of the fact that I never signed any documentation with Orange directly. They have gone bust and I have been unable to discover which solicitors are dealing with their liquidation. I have had to put this down to experience and let it go because it was stressing me out to much. I 100% symapthise and if you are strong enough then you should fight the b******s all the way! good luck x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764023
    2. Better watch out for these...1017
    3. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports813
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846094

See more discussions