Requesting days off at work.....

Hi misc, what do you think of this situation.

I work shifts for my job and about 4 weeks ago I requested next Saturday and Sunday off (20th+21st) off as friends party.

Looked at the rota a couple of days ago and found they have put me down for an evening shift on both of the days I requested off!

Asked management and all they said is sorry they could not give me the requested days off.

Really annoyed considering I gave so much advanced notice etc.

43 Comments

But I expect a lot of people want the weekend before Xmas off to go to parties

You drew the short straw, or your boss hates you

Original Poster

sofia_the_last

But I expect a lot of people want the weekend before Xmas off to go to … But I expect a lot of people want the weekend before Xmas off to go to parties You drew the short straw, or your boss hates you

My boss hates me.

TheBoss96

My boss hates me.

I'm afraid its a fact of employment life - just like time off for hols ,and when you can book . Just have to keep badgering away until you get a firm yes or no - never make plans on "we'll see what we can do " (_;)

Original Poster

Just caught a gingerbread deer X)

see tbh this is normal i know guys to put in for new years day etc on the start if the year ..its bad to say but just call in those days sick and have the time

Cought splutter - call in sick.

Original Poster

i32999guy

see tbh this is normal i know guys to put in for new years day etc on the … see tbh this is normal i know guys to put in for new years day etc on the start if the year ..its bad to say but just call in those days sick and have the time

But wouldn't they obviously cotton on that I am "sick" on the days I requested off

Can't help with your holiday problem.. but I'm loving the irony in your username X)

LizziBear

Can't help with your holiday problem.. but I'm loving the irony in your … Can't help with your holiday problem.. but I'm loving the irony in your username X)

You beat me to it, I was just going to tell him to explain that he's the boss X)

Original Poster

Haha I know ^^ X)

Just call in sick and self certify (had the trotts). There is f all the can do to you. Since your working sat and Sunday night I doubt you are planning on staying there until retirement.

Or turn up, feign a dramatic illness and have to unfortunately go home via your mates party...

im guessing that your job isimpoertant and the money pays the bills etc
some companies will actually check if you are sick in these circumstancies iee a home visit or call. its not worth it and where are your values? honesty?

Speak to your colleagues and see if you can find cover for the days you want off.

If you can find cover, speak to your boss and ask again.

Boo won a £5 itunes voucher on this thread, I hope that doesn't lessen my chances of winning other golds

oh well off to hunt for some apple sheep to take it off my hands

on second thoughts I'll hang on to it for now, might win an ipad or iphone, you can get free apps and games for kids on Apples things can't you?
Edited by: "Error440" 13th Dec 2014

i32999guy

see tbh this is normal i know guys to put in for new years day etc on the … see tbh this is normal i know guys to put in for new years day etc on the start if the year ..its bad to say but just call in those days sick and have the time

I would strongly recommend you don't follow the above guidance. Most companies I know track leave requests and then cross reference sick days against declined ones.

The best approach is to seek a colleague who will cover for you or wait until later in the week and ask them to reconsider, depending what kind of work you do it might be that demand for the service may have been lower than anticipated in the week and it may allow them to reconsider.
Edited by: "Bingohomer" 13th Dec 2014

If you hadn't heard back whether it's been authorised or not you should of chased it up and trust me there are a people who will be a lot worse than you for taking time off work, so I wouldn't recommend the 'going sick.'

I wanted last night off. Sent my boss a text yesterday lunchtime to ask, he said OK, and I had the night off.

Sorry, was that not what you wanted to hear?

miikeyblue

I wanted last night off. Sent my boss a text yesterday lunchtime to ask, … I wanted last night off. Sent my boss a text yesterday lunchtime to ask, he said OK, and I had the night off.Sorry, was that not what you wanted to hear?

I wanted last night off too. Not enough operators on so had to grimace and go in. Bah.

got a special birthday coming up........aug 2015,(21 :{).....I,ve put in a holiday request for this already!....didn,t even bother asking for xmas,low staff and sick leaves,so not a chance in hell of crimbo off

TheBoss96

Just caught a gingerbread deer X)

now there is your excuse for being off sick..gingerbread man...or diarrhoea (no one can probe further when you play that card)
urban dictionary 5

miikeyblue

I wanted last night off. Sent my boss a text yesterday lunchtime to ask, … I wanted last night off. Sent my boss a text yesterday lunchtime to ask, he said OK, and I had the night off.Sorry, was that not what you wanted to hear?

I don't work weekends.

Hey OP, I'll go to the party in your place

Edit: Just remembered that I have to go to the office today to get some paperwork done and sent off.... X)
Edited by: "RossD89" 13th Dec 2014

Just call in sick, but make it believable, walk in to work 1 day before the party with a 'I have Ebola, stay away' sign on your jumper, with a gask mask on, and your boss will send you home for the week Happy days!

burn the place down, then you will have all of Christmas off

miles136

burn the place down, then you will have all of Christmas off

The op is a fireman.

At my old job i always asked for christmas off (2 weeks) and i always got it as i gave 1 years notice and was always at the front of the queue

Mark2111

The op is a fireman.

ooo a fire man, get him to post a pic of him with his hose and I will belive it

ed1980

At my old job i always asked for christmas off (2 weeks) and i always got … At my old job i always asked for christmas off (2 weeks) and i always got it as i gave 1 years notice and was always at the front of the queue

Selfish.

My wife works with a bloke who has a caravan. Every summer and Christmas his wife goes beserk saying she has booked places to go and they must have the holidays honoured. She books three weeks at a time! They used to get it as the woman was so vile but new bosses now have a rota so its fair on all staff although full time get priority over part time.

Error440

Boo won a £5 itunes voucher on this thread, I hope that doesn't lessen … Boo won a £5 itunes voucher on this thread, I hope that doesn't lessen my chances of winning other golds :(oh well off to hunt for some apple sheep to take it off my handson second thoughts I'll hang on to it for now, might win an ipad or iphone, you can get free apps and games for kids on Apples things can't you?

Baaaaaaaaaaa

Mark2111

Selfish.My wife works with a bloke who has a caravan. Every summer and … Selfish.My wife works with a bloke who has a caravan. Every summer and Christmas his wife goes beserk saying she has booked places to go and they must have the holidays honoured. She books three weeks at a time! They used to get it as the woman was so vile but new bosses now have a rota so its fair on all staff although full time get priority over part time.

I t wasn't selfish at all, the rules were 1st come 1st served with all 300 staff. Considering 95% of the work force didnt even celebrate Christmas it wasn't an issue.

How about not judging people before you know the full story

As for the boss's at your wifes firm, they should of grown a back bone and told her no. She didnt even work for them lol

Edited by: "ed1980" 13th Dec 2014

i'd definitely phone in sick, spending time with your friends in the run up to Crimbo is more important.
they can't sack you for being ill but you'll probably get an unofficial verbal warning/pep talk from someone who thinks they're important X)
you gave plenty of notice but it sounds like they're still screwing you over,
maybe they've shown favouritism to some other staff & given them that time off instead.

you're not a doormat Boss so don't let people treat you like one, have a good time
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/crazyjapan/party-hard.jpg

I've requested only 2 weeks this financial year, both were agreed to and I got paperwork approving them, on both occasions the manager went into the computer system, removed my leave and told me he never agreed to it a few days before. Took it to the union rep and he couldn't of cared any less because (as I later found out) he's chums with the manager.

I miss being self employed sometimes, I'd forgotten how corrupt most workplaces are.

Sounds a bit unfair especially as you give 4 weeks notice.
Maybe speak to your boss again, or deputy manager?
Or find cover?

unless you can arrange a shift swap with someone else from a weekday or just call in sick.

My boss is my best friend so I always get my holidays I've got the whole of Christmas off whoop whoop :-!

Original Poster

Rach75

My boss is my best friend so I always get my holidays I've got the whole … My boss is my best friend so I always get my holidays I've got the whole of Christmas off whoop whoop :-!

Lucky you (_;)

Become self employed, you can have as much time as you want off then lol
Mind you, you may not get a wage all the time, pros and cons

I really don't recommend calling in sick after asking for the time off and it being refused. They won't believe you this time, and then if you go sick again they won't believe you then either!

just do it then look for another job in the new year they didnt even get back to you to talk about it sounds like a crap company have fun and move on

There always swapping your shift with a colleague!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona1850
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764048
    3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2023
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846099

See more discussions