Requesting self islolation on deliveries and companies ignoring?

Lead deal editor14
Posted 23rd Mar
Hey folks, just wanted to see if this was happening to anyone else.

Various companies are offering 'doorstep deliveries' but i've requested this on two seperate occasions and neither played a blind bit of notice.

Currently working from home and ideally want as minimal contact, without the outside world, as possible.

Just Eat ignored my requests for leaving my deliveries on doorstep, they have steps in place for those who are in self isolation or want to avoid contact, yet totally ignored my requests.

It's just to get general thoughts of you folks, alo another delivery company, not food related, ignored the same also.

Guy wasn't really bothered....

PS: Stay safe folks!
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Yea, happened to me twice with Papa Johns and Uber Eats.
Simple solution don't buy takeaways and certainly don't get them delivered, at the moment I'll not be trusting a strangers hygiene routine with my food.
Thing is though if your self isolating and dont want the delivery person near you, why are you ordering takeaways ? The people preparing it can be infected and coughing on/touching your food then the delivery person is touching your box which your eating out of so it makes no difference.
If your eating a takeaway you might as well shake the delivery mans/womans hand
14 Comments
Yea, happened to me twice with Papa Johns and Uber Eats.
Not just that, but keep in mind that a virus can last up to 3 days on card board / plastic...

Stay safe
Yeah I ordered a Friday night takeaway through Uber Eats a few days ago and requested leave on doorstep. Delivery driver just knocked on my door and handed the food over as normal - if I wasn't a nervous person I would've said something. I reported it to Uber Eats and just got a generic copy and paste response.

Stay safe all hotukdealers - staff and community. We will all get through this together.
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 23rd Mar
I wouldn't worry too much, take the delivery with as much distance from the driver as possible, you should not need to get particularly close, although it is less than 2m, you can take it about 1m away. Then wash hands after touching the packaging and the door (should probably do this anyway even without Covid worries).

If they are coughing and sneezing badly enough that you need to keep back then there is more to worry about anyway!

Unless of course you are the one with the symptoms and you don't want to infect the driver!
Edited by: "jon81uk" 23rd Mar
Simple solution don't buy takeaways and certainly don't get them delivered, at the moment I'll not be trusting a strangers hygiene routine with my food.
Thing is though if your self isolating and dont want the delivery person near you, why are you ordering takeaways ? The people preparing it can be infected and coughing on/touching your food then the delivery person is touching your box which your eating out of so it makes no difference.
If your eating a takeaway you might as well shake the delivery mans/womans hand
Mark_Hickman23/03/2020 12:36

Thing is though if your self isolating and dont want the delivery person …Thing is though if your self isolating and dont want the delivery person near you, why are you ordering takeaways ? The people preparing it can be infected and coughing on/touching your food then the delivery person is touching your box which your eating out of so it makes no difference.If your eating a takeaway you might as well shake the delivery mans/womans hand

There has been no proof that you can actually catch the virus through food and all food handlers have extra guidelines put in place when handling food or all take away food premises would have been shut along with cafes/restaurants...I was working as a food handler until close of business on Tuesday and know exactly what guidelines and procedures put in place to follow....obviously I can’t speak for the people who actually do the deliveries on what procedures/guidelines have been put in place for them!
Ordered via Uber Eats twice this weekend and, to prevent this,when the driver arrived at my house (you can see his progress via the Uber Eats app/website), asked him via the upstairs window to leave the food on the doorstep which he duly did.

I then went downstairs and carefully transferred the food onto plates I had already setup in the porch with the packaging going straight in the wheelie bin and washed my hands thoroughly before eating.

Yes, I could still have picked up CV from the minimal contact with the packaging but it really is next to impossible to completely mitigate against the risk.
Edited by: "HappyShopper" 23rd Mar
If your in isolation just put a note outside your door stating instructions. Just put it out when your expecting deliveries if your embarrassed or all the time. Asda have said that's what they asked customers to do but very few are actually doing it.

Btw if your taking it seriously then I wouldn't even order takeaway unless they are wearing masks etc
Edited by: "MR1123" 23rd Mar
Mich8ll823/03/2020 12:45

There has been no proof that you can actually catch the virus through food …There has been no proof that you can actually catch the virus through food and all food handlers have extra guidelines put in place when handling food or all take away food premises would have been shut along with cafes/restaurants...I was working as a food handler until close of business on Tuesday and know exactly what guidelines and procedures put in place to follow....obviously I can’t speak for the people who actually do the deliveries on what procedures/guidelines have been put in place for them!

Went to McDonald's today they're doing nothing different, staff have no gloves or masks and no ones looking for proof that you can get infected through food because thats not even a question, you can get infected through food and no one else would even question that, thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard.
If you cough on food and it goes inside someone elses mouth they're going to be infected, there's no ifs, buts or maybes about it.
Same thing happened to me on Uber Eats, but don't think drivers can be bothered.
Mark_Hickman23/03/2020 17:16

Went to McDonald's today they're doing nothing different, staff have no …Went to McDonald's today they're doing nothing different, staff have no gloves or masks and no ones looking for proof that you can get infected through food because thats not even a question, you can get infected through food and no one else would even question that, thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard.If you cough on food and it goes inside someone elses mouth they're going to be infected, there's no ifs, buts or maybes about it.

Well excuse me for pointing out what food handlers should be doing...not my problem if their company isn’t being extra viligant with their food handlers and making them follow the guideline and procedures and if it’s bothering you so much in safe guarding your health...why would you even attempt to go into McDonalds today if it’s a breeding ground!
Mich8ll823/03/2020 17:24

Well excuse me for pointing out what food handlers should be doing...not …Well excuse me for pointing out what food handlers should be doing...not my problem if their company isn’t being extra viligant with their food handlers and making them follow the guideline and procedures and if it’s bothering you so much in safe guarding your health...why would you even attempt to go into McDonalds today if it’s a breeding ground!

I think you'll find if you look back over the comments its not bothering me at all, i was replying to someone who it is bothering, asking why they would even order a takeaway through ubereats if they're worried about the driver coming near them.
Then you replied to me claiming there's no proof you can get infected via food, which is bonkers to say, and that there's many guidelines in place to prevent it, then i was simply telling you what i observed today through the window, no gloves, no masks, operating as normal.
Anyway let's leave it there, your correct there should be guidelines for them to follow and they're idiots for not following them, and just shows you should never trust anyone like a delivery from ubereats which you can't see being prepared or the drivers hygiene care level during this pandemic
Yeah...let’s leave it...this topic is irrelavant...people are asking dumb questions now on this thread...I have been in the food trade for over 20 years so I follow every rule and procedure and I did have hope that every company would adhere to this as food handlers through this pandemic but obviously not and gives the rest of us food handlers a bad name and reason for people to mock our trade with the coronavirus going around and I had read in an article...just the other day that the virus wouldn’t be passed on through food but who knows as nobody seems to know much about the virus...I was miffed on how cafes/restaurants were shut but could still operate take away as that still makes it hard to social distance properly and still coming into contact with strangers...anyway stay safe(y)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants