Require Tires this year, Told Tread is 2.2mm. How to find good price?

Found 26th Feb
Vehicle Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, Tire 215/55 16 V.

I'm looking at New and a set seems to be £320+ . Are part worn's even worth a look or just wasting my money in the long run ? Any shops or sites people can recommend please
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
First off, check what you NEED according to manufacturers spec vs whats on there. You may find the car was up sold previously. Its usually speed rating thats upped but sometimes going up is cheaper

Black Circles
F1 Autocentres
Martin's tyres - if you live nr Lightwater, Surrey
Costco sometimes - and they insist on rotating no matter what you want. That just increases wear as per manufacturers wishes
Google shop but usually delivered rather than fitted
Some places sell part-worn which are rejects from Germany or wherever . These will all be limited tread.
Better by far is a car breakers where you can see the make and tread condition for yourself.In my area these are usually £25 each.
Cheap chinese tyres are not that bad - try and find a review if poss.
Ebay has your size new tyres 45 up , should get fitting for a fiver each

ebay.co.uk/sch…=15
Edited by: "zzzz" 26th Feb
KwikFit sbe added to the list...the budget tyres if paid and booked online can be a decent solution. V good customer service. It is cheaper to pay online than in the garage though.
Edited by: "davewave" 26th Feb
Try Amazon and Ebay as you can get some good deals. I bought 4 new tyres for my sons car off ebay and 4 new tyres for my car off Amazon.
+1 Martin’s
Ouch 320 at them sizes seems expensive. Part worn are around 15-25 quid depends where u are u can goo look at the thread depth etc sometimes they are almost new around 6.5mm+ thread depends go around a few places and see you might get lucky if you go for used then get branded tyres otherwise pointless. New tyres budget ones should he around 35-40 quid each the half decent ones and avoid remoulds.
davewave18 h, 59 m ago

KwikFit sbe added to the list...the budget tyres if paid and booked online …KwikFit sbe added to the list...the budget tyres if paid and booked online can be a decent solution. V good customer service. It is cheaper to pay online than in the garage though.

Seriously, Kwik Fit V. good customer service. Have you been sniffing burnouts again?

Best bet if going New is look at Blackcircles or something similar, for fully fitted price. Then look at tyre rating A-C is the sensible range. As we live in a wet country don’t discount wet grip.
Assuming you don’t drive your barge like a F1 car most tyres will do. Though cheap can be a false economy and very slippery in the wet.

Also do you really need a full set. The fronts will wear at least twice as quickly as the rears.

Finally don’t forget the best car in the world still relies on the 4 handprint sized bits of rubber touching the road. It’s a family car think safety first.

Edit: should also have asked, who said they were 2.2mm and why a full set?
Edited by: "Oneday77" 27th Feb
Oneday7747 m ago

Seriously, Kwik Fit V. good customer service. Have you been sniffing …Seriously, Kwik Fit V. good customer service. Have you been sniffing burnouts again?Best bet if going New is look at Blackcircles or something similar, for fully fitted price. Then look at tyre rating A-C is the sensible range. As we live in a wet country don’t discount wet grip. Assuming you don’t drive your barge like a F1 car most tyres will do. Though cheap can be a false economy and very slippery in the wet. Also do you really need a full set. The fronts will wear at least twice as quickly as the rears. Finally don’t forget the best car in the world still relies on the 4 handprint sized bits of rubber touching the road. It’s a family car think safety first.Edit: should also have asked, who said they were 2.2mm and why a full set?

I've used Kwik-Fit several times and their customer service is very good, in fact the company is honestly customer-focused so I would dispute your criticism, what happened when you used Kwik-Fit?

In fact furthermore, I found my tyre deflating quickly a couple of days ago and popped into my local Kwik-Fit and they identified the faulty tyre valve and fixed it free of charge.
Edited by: "davewave" 27th Feb
davewave47 m ago

I've used Kwik-Fit several times and their customer service is very good, …I've used Kwik-Fit several times and their customer service is very good, in fact the company is honestly customer-focused so I would dispute your criticism, what happened when you used Kwik-Fit?In fact furthermore, I found my tyre deflating quickly a couple of days ago and popped into my local Kwik-Fit and they identified the faulty tyre valve and fixed it free of charge.

They passed my car for an MOT when it was actually a failure, yes it was something I missed myself when taking it in. They should not have and couldn't have failed to notice when they carried out a service. Especially asit was an item that both the MOT and service should check.
They claimed to have replaced brake fluid, by siphoning the reservoir. This is impossible as every brake line should be run through with fresh fluid. None of the bleed nipples were disturbed.
They lied to my face about other aspects of my service\MOT.

This was all backed up by an independent VOSA Head MOT Tester inspection, the MOT tester was charged and the manager severely disciplined.Trading standards also upheld my complaint.

So while opinion can be subjective on quality of service, mine is factual.

I've had colleagues told they need new XYZ when they had such components replaced in teh last 12 months and were perfectly fine, etc.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 27th Feb
I would wait for the weather to warm up. It could take you a while to get to 1.5mm tread
Modern remoulds aren't that bad big lorries usually have them on.
I'd opt for remoulds over cheap Chinese tyres if your on a budget.
davewave6 h, 9 m ago

I've used Kwik-Fit several times and their customer service is very good, …I've used Kwik-Fit several times and their customer service is very good, in fact the company is honestly customer-focused so I would dispute your criticism, what happened when you used Kwik-Fit?In fact furthermore, I found my tyre deflating quickly a couple of days ago and popped into my local Kwik-Fit and they identified the faulty tyre valve and fixed it free of charge.

Dave you have been very lucky with Kwik Fit they are well known in the rouges gallery of garages you do find one off places though so maybe you have been lucky or are self promoting :):)
eslick8 h, 21 m ago

Dave you have been very lucky with Kwik Fit they are well known in the …Dave you have been very lucky with Kwik Fit they are well known in the rouges gallery of garages you do find one off places though so maybe you have been lucky or are self promoting :):)

I don't work for em but that does remind me of their advert from years ago. I guess I've been lucky ...I'd be interested how others have fared with KwikFit?
davewave2 h, 44 m ago

I don't work for em but that does remind me of their advert from years …I don't work for em but that does remind me of their advert from years ago. I guess I've been lucky ...I'd be interested how others have fared with KwikFit?

just have a look at reviews and news articles on google, its been the case for years you occasionally see the odd place where they are ok but they are few and far between. Their biggest issue is telling customers they need additional work done when they don't before 20 years ago, I know a long time, it was happening then but you weren't aware of how they worked as we didnt have the tinternet. I went for a brake check, had no intentions of getting them to do the work as they were so expensive and I came out with a long list, bill somewhere around £700, took the list to a local garage and he quoted £200 for the list of jobs. When I picked up the car he I stood there with the £200 and he said that will be £70 when I asked why it was different he said you went to Kwik Fit didnt you never went to Kwik Fit again. Friend took their 4 year old Merc for two tyres, in the last 5 years ordered them online as they were the cheapest, after they fitted them he was told your cat has gone! you can imagine the price they quotes, following week it passed its MOT.

Sadly from when they were doing it and people didnt know about the practices, until now when we know better, and despite being on the likes of watchdog and other media they are still the same. Normally see the same comments on here on any Kwik Fit deal.
davewave2 h, 53 m ago

I don't work for em but that does remind me of their advert from years …I don't work for em but that does remind me of their advert from years ago. I guess I've been lucky ...I'd be interested how others have fared with KwikFit?

They once told me my car needed new brake discs amogst other stuff, Put me off that particular branch, Tried another branch when I had a puncture and to check my exhaust for leaks as I had fitted a new cat and it was a little louder than I expected and it was fine. They didn't try and up sell etc.. So maybe it's hit and miss. They certainly aren't the only ones that try and up sell everything, I used to trust Formula 1 but they seem to have gone to pot and invent problems that don't exist.

Fortunately I'm mechanically clued up, I know when they're trying it on, I just walk away, They lose a customer. More gullible people take things a little too gospel sometimes.
One of the advantages of buying from a national company is in most cases you can call in at other branches with any problems. . . . . . I bought a new Silencer from KwikFit which cost a little more than my local dealer but as I was in Manchester some 30 miles from home I had to buy it. but a few weeks later while in Scotland I could hear a vibration and called in a branch in Stranraer who replaced it. I realised if I had have bought it at my local garage I would I had to buy again and try and recover the cost when I returned home
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants