Reseeding/overseeding and patching existing lawn

Posted 11th Jun
Hi, I'm hoping for some tips for reseeding my existing lawn and patching up a large area (thanks to trampoline damage!).

I know the grass needs to be cut quite short prior and raking through, from here is it a case of distributing the seed evenly then a relatively thin layer of top soil then regularly watering?

We get a LOT of birds so I would like to protect the seed but not cause any harm to them. Can I lay a net over the lawn just until the grass begins to shoot?

In terms of the 10ft wide circular patch... any advice? Turn it all over, seed, soil, water? Also, our soil is terrible, high clay content....

Existing lawn is fine to be honest, kept on top of but because of the trampoline and wanting to patch that up I figured to seed the whole garden in the hopes of it not looking too odd.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
As are any links to seed you have used, particularly if you have experience with clay soil.

Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Put things like plastic bags or foil on canes- it may keep them away.
Good luck. If the birds you have are anything like those in my area, nothing will stop the determined ones.

A net on the ground or just a few inches above proved pointless, they would land on it and the flex in the net allowed them to get to the seed.

The best solution I found was covering the seed with a layer of top soil. I also had a net about 2 ft above the grass. The net stopped most the birds and the top soil saved most the seed. In most areas I now have a nice thick lawn, but I still have some small patches to work on.
We have used the grass people seed and had good results.
41054789-41RQr.jpg
41054789-jmRPn.jpg
My soil used to be awful with clay. I dug it over, pulled out the bigger bits of clay I could and poured some sand on. Then laid some top soil on before grass. It drains so much better now and grass actually grows. I chuck on some seeds and topsoil every year now.
laurenlouise6311/06/2020 12:16

We have used the grass people seed and had good results. [Image] [Image]

Looks good. How long did it take to grow?
Which lawn seed did you use?
Danze198411/06/2020 12:34

My soil used to be awful with clay. I dug it over, pulled out the bigger …My soil used to be awful with clay. I dug it over, pulled out the bigger bits of clay I could and poured some sand on. Then laid some top soil on before grass. It drains so much better now and grass actually grows. I chuck on some seeds and topsoil every year now.

How deep did you dig over to remove clay?
Edited by: "ran123ran" 11th Jun
ran123ran11/06/2020 13:07

Looks good. How long did it take to grow?Which lawn seed did you use?

I used the superstar back lawn seed. Took about 7 weeks until we could cut it. A lot of working watering, especially when it was hot.
- Mow it as close as low as you can go
- dig over / rough up the existing patch
- chuck your seed down - apply liberally
- put some top soil on top (very thin layer)
- water and keep moist

As for the netting, I've only ever done small patches not big spaces, so hopefully someone else ill be able to help.

But I can also 2nd the grass people, their seed worked fine for me.
Another one is A1 which I think sell through Amazon
ran123ran11/06/2020 13:08

How deep did you dig over to remove clay?

About a foot. Area was 8x4m & took a weekend and bent 2 spades in the process. If I was doing it again I'd definitely hire a mini digger or heavy duty rotavator.
Post a comment
@
    Text