Found 3rd Jan 2011
Hi,

I have reserved this TV @ currys and plan on picking up tomorrow.
The thing is, this is a 42" and the 32" version of the same TV is the same price.

Seems a bargain, just wondered if anyone has it or what people think about it before I part with £500 of my hard earned cash

Thanks

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

1. Misc
  2. TV
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. TV
23 Comments

Original Poster

Im no expert but certainly seems like a good deal to me for an LED tv with full HD

no advice about which tv but don't forget to use topcash back or quidco

Original Poster

sameena1

no advice about which tv but don't forget to use topcash back or quidco

I'm collecting instore, can I pay online (get my cashback) and still collect instore?

jonny619447

I'm collecting instore, can I pay online (get my cashback) and still … I'm collecting instore, can I pay online (get my cashback) and still collect instore?

Yep, you can get cashback for collect instore. You need to keep the receipt and enter some details I think.

Oh, and I think you pay in store, not online with collect instore.

TBH I wouldnt reccomend LG not a very reliable brand compared to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc. Have you tried Richer sounds, John Lewis, House of Fraser, Debenhams etc?

Original Poster

sarbjeet_

TBH I wouldnt reccomend LG not a very reliable brand compared to Samsung, … TBH I wouldnt reccomend LG not a very reliable brand compared to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc. Have you tried Richer sounds, John Lewis, House of Fraser, Debenhams etc?

All quite a bit more expensive, 42" on them sites cost at least £600+.

Dont know much about spec except I have just bought the Samsung 40" with HD ready Freevew which this doesnt have, HD freeview comes to my area on 28th September this year so cant wait.

I did read something on here about back lit TVs if you put LCD into the search box it will come up with all the deals posted then you will need to read the comments Im sure it was something about the picture bleeding but I could be wrong, anyway have a look

Original Poster

Wirley

Dont know much about spec except I have just bought the Samsung 40" with … Dont know much about spec except I have just bought the Samsung 40" with HD ready Freevew which this doesnt have, HD freeview comes to my area on 28th September this year so cant wait.I did read something on here about back lit TVs if you put LCD into the search box it will come up with all the deals posted then you will need to read the comments Im sure it was something about the picture bleeding but I could be wrong, anyway have a look

I have virgin, so freeview doesnt really bother me.
Ok, I will have a look. Thanks

Around the same price at AJ Electronics but seems a good deal, although I wouldn't go for an LG

Looking at Sony and Panasonics myself

Original Poster

sickly sweet

Yep, you can get cashback for collect instore. You need to keep the … Yep, you can get cashback for collect instore. You need to keep the receipt and enter some details I think.

didnt know that, thanks

I am assuming you want to spend around the £500 mark this one is £50 more but better than the LG in terms of looks reliability and quality and you will get 5 years guarantee for free.
johnlewis.com/231…spx
the price is quoted £599 but you can get that price matched to Richer sounds at £550.:)

Original Poster

sarbjeet_

I am assuming you want to spend around the £500 mark this one is £50 more … I am assuming you want to spend around the £500 mark this one is £50 more but better than the LG in terms of looks reliability and quality and you will get 5 years guarantee for free.[url=http://www.johnlewis.com/231050685/Product.aspx]http://www.johnlewis.com/231050685/Product.aspx[/url]the price is quoted £599 but you can get that price matched to Richer sounds at £550.:)

Out of stock at the moment. I could give them a ring to find out when/if it will be back in stock.

If you definitely want one around 42" at £500 your only led options are LG or Samsung, personally I'd always go with a Samsung display over an LG. I'd much rather have this

bestbuy.co.uk/pro…825

sarbjeet_

I am assuming you want to spend around the £500 mark this one is £50 more … I am assuming you want to spend around the £500 mark this one is £50 more but better than the LG in terms of looks reliability and quality and you will get 5 years guarantee for free.http://www.johnlewis.com/231050685/Product.aspxthe price is quoted £599 but you can get that price matched to Richer sounds at £550.:)

I meant to say you would have to get this done instore im pretty sure they wouldnt honour the price match online.

Original Poster

forest2002

If you definitely want one around 42" at £500 your only led options are … If you definitely want one around 42" at £500 your only led options are LG or Samsung, personally I'd always go with a Samsung display over an LG. I'd much rather have this [url=http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/1000121825/Samsung-UE40C5100-40%20inch-LED-Full-HD-1080p-TV.aspx?ref=google&loc=Flat-PanelTVs&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=1000121825]http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/1000121825/Samsung-UE40C5100-40%20inch-LED-Full-HD-1080p-TV.aspx?ref=google&loc=Flat-PanelTVs&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=1000121825[/url]

That one sarbjeet recommended looks the better option with the 5 year warranty. Think I will check stock of that tomorrow.
If not, then I will look at the best buy one. Only abou 3 mile from lakeside bestbuy

Pretty certain Its the same tv just with freeview hd, for £599. I thought you said you had virgin?

I wasn't suggesting you get it from Bestbuy, more just suggesting the tv.

Have a look around for the 5100 on other sites to see if you can get it with a 5 year warranty. No point in paying more for tech that your not going to need.

jonny619447

I'm collecting instore, can I pay online (get my cashback) and still … I'm collecting instore, can I pay online (get my cashback) and still collect instore?

Yes you can reserve online & collect instore but you have to keep receipt & enter the the receipt no,

Original Poster

forest2002

Pretty certain Its the same tv just with freeview hd, for £599. I thought … Pretty certain Its the same tv just with freeview hd, for £599. I thought you said you had virgin?I wasn't suggesting you get it from Bestbuy, more just suggesting the tv. Have a look around for the 5100 on other sites to see if you can get it with a 5 year warranty. No point in paying more for tech that your not going to need.

I do have virgin so yes the freeview HD is not needed. Yes I will have a look. Thanks for the advice though

jonny619447

I do have virgin so yes the freeview HD is not needed. Yes I will have a … I do have virgin so yes the freeview HD is not needed. Yes I will have a look. Thanks for the advice though

If you don't necessarily need a 40inch screen, the 32" 5100 is only £350 in most places. Which to me seems better value for money. As its getting on for double the price for an extra 8 inches. Depends how much of an issue size is though.

Original Poster

I'm looking for an absolute minimum of 37 inches but prefer 40 or 42 inch

jonny619447

I'm looking for an absolute minimum of 37 inches but prefer 40 or 42 inch

ok cool, i'd go with one of the the 40 inch samsungs then
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Foo fighters presale code.1615
    2. Foo fighters pre sale code22
    3. Building a PC Need Help!22