Found 12th Oct 2008
OK, my dad has given me his old laptop and it;s in a mess! I'm not that good so thought best thing is to try and do something like a factory reset.

Is this possible on a laptop? And if so, how do I do it!

Whilst my PC has got just one "Hard disk", my Dad;'s laptop has 2:

BOOT (C:)
RECOVER (D:)

I juts want to start rfom scratch cos there is no Windows media (so can't have any sounds- just bleeps!)

It's running XP SP 2
Any help gratefully rec'd!!

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
24 Comments

whats the make and model of your laptop ?

Original Poster

Medion MIM2220. I'd like to do away with the 2 hard drives and go back to a simple soluton as my 6 year old son will be using this.

Note the laptop has NOT got two hard drives. It has one PHYICAL hard drive, but it has been split into 2 PARTITIONS (C and D).

The D: drive (Recover) will contain a copy of Windows that will install on the C: drive.

The problem is that each company uses a slighlty different method of re-installing Windows from a recovery drive (which is why the last person asked for make and model)

See if you can find the documentation that came with the laptop and it will tell you how to re-install Windows from the recovery drive.

Or when you boot up your laptop see if any messages are displayed on the screen before it goes into Windows. It may only be on the screen for a few seconds but it may say "Press the XXX key for Windows recovery" or something lke that.

You need to do this BEFORE Windows starts to load.

it is usually possible but read the manual or instructions on medions website for the correct procedure.
Doing away with the recovery partition will remove your ability to do a factory reset in the future tho.

I think its one of the F keys to try, cant remember which one but its F8-F12 i think one of them ones by pressing on start up, give it a go and see what happens.

You really need to format everything and reinstall windows, do you have windows discs? Is there a windows key sticker on the laptop?

You could always install ubuntu for free, thats what I did with my sons laptop, it's perfectly adequate for him and runs much quicker than xp did.

ubuntu.com/get…oad

melmorc;3178013

Medion MIM2220. I'd like to do away with the 2 hard drives and go back … Medion MIM2220. I'd like to do away with the 2 hard drives and go back to a simple soluton as my 6 year old son will be using this.

I would leave it as it is. The recovery drive is good to keep in case you ever need to re-install windows.

Because it is the D drive your 6 year old son is unlikely to ever do anything to the D drive and it is a good "back up" in case he ever trashes Windows and it needs reinstalling.

Some laptops allow you to make a back Windows CD from the recovery drive. It may be worth doing this. Again, read the instructions that came with the laptop.

A suggestion.

If you do manage to re-install Windows set up a separate userid for your 6 year old son and tell him to use that.

This is very easy to do. Go into the Windows Control Panel and find "User Accounts" and select "Create a new account". Create an account with your sons name and tell him to use that.

So you will finish up with 2 userids, one for DAD that he never uses which means that whatever he does to the computer you can always get back into it using DAD.

The other userid will be for SON and he should always use this ID. Then if he does manage to trash the "son" userid you can always logon as yourself to sort it out.

Once setup, when you start Windows it will offer you these two userids so it is very easy to sign on as DAD or SON.

You could even set a password on your DAD userid, so he cannot use it, and he can only log on a SON. Just dont forget the password.

Original Poster

OK - I do have a MEDION Recovery Disc. It says on the disc "The software included on this recovery disc was preinstalled on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup"
I have also found a booklet so will have a read of this and see what happens! Thanks - I'll prob be back!

I will leave rep but not when I'm using the laptop - keypad too small!!!

Banned

Sounds like its just a sound driver problem, so you don't need to do a restore.

On the "D" Drive there may be a folder called "Drivers", look for the audio folder and re-install the driver.
Somethnig like...D:\Driver\Audio\XP_ver.blah,blah.

If not, then these should be the right ones: softwarepatch.com/uti…tml
Or
Put 220 in the full text search, here: medion.co.uk/ and get the chipset drivers.

Install, Reboot and you should then have sound.

Hope it helps

Original Poster

soupy;3180309

Sounds like its just a sound driver problem, so you don't need to do a … Sounds like its just a sound driver problem, so you don't need to do a restore.On the "D" Drive there may be a folder called "Drivers", look for the audio folder and re-install the driver.Somethnig like...D:\Driver\Audio\XP_ver.blah,blah.If not, then these should be the right ones: http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/ac97.htmlOrPut 220 in the full text search, here: http://www.medion.co.uk/ and get the chipset drivers.Install, Reboot and you should then have sound.Hope it helps

Cheers Soupy. In that drive it says:

D:\Driver\Audio\XP_ver.5.10.0.5148

So if I dowload the driver that you have put in the first link (and save it to the same folder on the D Drive) this shd work?

Edit: I am downloading the drivers you stated above - will let you know in an hours time!

Banned

Yep,as far as I remember ver.5.10.0.5148 is the right version, so you shouldn't need to download it., just use the one int the current folder.

Original Poster

Nope - no luck. If i boot up WM it says it cannot play the sounds as there is a problem wth sound device. How do i check what sound device I have installed?

Also it says No Active Mixer Devices installed - que?????

Banned

ah, ok then its probably the chipset driver that you need. Thats why there is no active device.

This one: Put 220 in the full text search, here: medion.co.uk/ and get the chipset drivers.

To see your audio device, goto control panel, system, hardware, device manager, and look in the sound video and game controller part.

Also check Control panel, sound & audio devices, Audio. What is the default audio playback device?

Original Poster

OK - I downloaded and extracted the files for the laptop. I then (after restart) checked the Audio device and it says :

Volume tab - No Audio Device
Audio - No Playback Devices

How do I resolve this?? Does it mean there is no Sound card? Altho not sure what the heck my Dad did!!!

did you perform a restore? ,the correct drivers will usually be included with that

Original Poster

maddogb;3196347

did you perform a restore? ,the correct drivers will usually be included … did you perform a restore? ,the correct drivers will usually be included with that

Will that reslve my Noa Audio Device issue?

Yesterday before updating things, I did restore back to May 2007 (when everything was ok) but this hasnlt helped? I donlt want to do another restore and then have to reinstall WM11 again? BUT if this does the trick????????????????

not system restore, factory restore time for bed for me up early so read the manual for instructions on how to do that, will check progress tomorow nite

Banned

melmorc;3195538

OK - I downloaded and extracted the files for the laptop. I then (after … OK - I downloaded and extracted the files for the laptop. I then (after restart) checked the Audio device and it says :Volume tab - No Audio DeviceAudio - No Playback DevicesHow do I resolve this?? Does it mean there is no Sound card? Altho not sure what the heck my Dad did!!!

Looks like the driver has not installed, thats why there is no device, try this link instead:
[url]ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_A406.exe[/url]
Hopefully it will finally get the sound up and running.
Another option is to look in control panel, system, hardware, device manager, and see if the audio has a little yellow symbol with an apostrophe in it, then manually install the driver, by selecting the correct .inf file.

I'll check back & see how you get on :thumbsup:

Banned

Working now?

Original Poster

Sorry - have been working too much. Am going to try this tomorrow ight so will def let you know! Your help has been invaluable!

Banned

I'll check back later then

Original Poster

Yippee!!!! All done and now have glorious sound! Many thanks to all, especially soupy!!!!

Banned

Well done :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Domain renewal12
    2. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?46
    3. 48 hour working time directive69
    4. Installing google play store on Kindle Fire 2nd gen?615

See more discussions