Posted 13th Nov 2021
Hi guys. So I had a reservation for a Michelin star restaurant which it had to be pre paid and on the way there our car brokedown in the middle of the motorway. I emailed them 2.15 hours before the booking telling us about our problem. It was for lunch... They are saying that breakdown is not in their cancellation policy... They don't want to even move for a different date. How can they do this? Is it legal? Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
It was not their fault or responsibility why should they lose money. It was your responsibility to get there.

If you booked a flight and didn't get to the airport on time you couldn't reasonably expect a refund from the airline. (if you had insurance you could always contact them of course).

One can't always blame someone else.

Of course if the restaurant also serviced your car maybe you have an issue - you did get it serviced didn't you?
Edited by: "joyf4536" 13th Nov 2021
Ivandelsur13/11/2021 20:46

I Already did! See what happens... It should work because I didn't recieve …I Already did! See what happens... It should work because I didn't recieve what I paid for

You got exactly what you paid for, a table reservation. You didn't use what you paid for so i wouldn't expect you to get your money back.

If you rang McDonald's and paid for £100 worth of food for collection and then never collected it, would you expect them to give your money back?
Ivandelsur13/11/2021 21:30

Then they should be sensible and charge me a bit not the entire deposit. …Then they should be sensible and charge me a bit not the entire deposit. That's how it should be

They charged you a bit of what your total bill would be, presumably if the deposit was £85pp then the meal and drinks would likely be quite a bit more than that.
I think you're a disgrace doing a chargeback, you've posted the T&C's which clearly state they can refuse a refund unless you cancel 72 hours before the booking. You didn't. Simple as that.
Is it annoying, yes, very, but you agreed to the terms when you booked and paid the deposit, you can hardly cry about it when it was you who broke them.
Ivandelsur13/11/2021 20:50

I Understand their Point but I don't think they would have made a huge …I Understand their Point but I don't think they would have made a huge loss for two people at lunch time. I

I really don't think you get their point. Why do you feel you can devalue the restaurant? They have bills to pay and have lost revenue due to your actions. In fact since you invoked a charge back your booking has actually impacted their profit for the day as they will incur the charge back fees on top of the lost revenue. It's actions like this that drive prices up and force restaurants to put non-refundable deposit requirements in place in the first place.
I can't understand how people can be so blinkered to the reality of their actions.
48 Comments
  1. Avatar
    You signed up to some t&cs when you booked, check them out and I bet it says no cancellations 24 hours before. Reason they do this sort of thing is they often can’t then give your table away as they work on bookings so have invested in you being there, they probably will get someone to take the table but no guarantees.
  2. Avatar
    Author
    eslick13/11/2021 20:30

You signed up to some t&cs when you booked, check them out and I bet it …You signed up to some t&cs when you booked, check them out and I bet it says no cancellations 24 hours before. Reason they do this sort of thing is they often can’t then give your table away as they work on bookings so have invested in you being there, they probably will get someone to take the table but no guarantees.

I Understand that but there are circumstances where is impossible to attend due to this kind of things and they'll still take the money?

Ivandelsur13/11/2021 20:31

I Understand that but there are circumstances where is impossible to …I Understand that but there are circumstances where is impossible to attend due to this kind of things and they'll still take the money?

46063378-NDHBp.jpg
    Terms and conditions
    Edited by: "Ivandelsur" 13th Nov 2021
  3. Avatar
    If it was prepaid you would have to look into the terms and conditions of whichever site you booked it from. It sounds like an unfortunate situation, but you may have bear the consequence if the restaurant are not accountable.
  4. Avatar
    If you paid by card you can try to do charge back as you didn't received what you paid for.. but that would be a bit a looong shot
  5. Avatar
    Author
    Admast7913/11/2021 20:45

If you paid by card you can try to do charge back as you didn't received …If you paid by card you can try to do charge back as you didn't received what you paid for.. but that would be a bit a looong shot

I Already did! See what happens... It should work because I didn't recieve what I paid for
  6. Avatar
    yes looks perfectly legal and yes things happen but is it their fault you did not make good on the booking and resources they lined up for you?

Of interest you got any travel insurance as last one I signed up up covered this scenario albeit was really taken in case I broke down abroad.
    Edited by: "Bertz99" 13th Nov 2021
  7. Avatar
    It was not their fault or responsibility why should they lose money. It was your responsibility to get there.

If you booked a flight and didn't get to the airport on time you couldn't reasonably expect a refund from the airline. (if you had insurance you could always contact them of course).

One can't always blame someone else.

Of course if the restaurant also serviced your car maybe you have an issue - you did get it serviced didn't you?
    Edited by: "joyf4536" 13th Nov 2021
  8. Avatar

I Understand that but there are circumstances where is impossible to …I Understand that but there are circumstances where is impossible to attend due to this kind of things and they'll still take the money? [Image] Terms and conditions

as it states so in their t&c, they are entitled to take the money as their policy does not allow for mishaps that may occur. you took the risk when you booked so they are fully entitled to keep the deposit.

a lot of businesses may offer a partial refund due to extenuating circumstances to keep good will and customers but they have decided not to do so on this occasion.

you could write in to management and show them evidence of the breakdown, as you will need evidence, and ask if they would consider allowing you to book a different date and transfer the deposit over rather than lose it, as it was a very stressful situation that was out of your control. you are very upset that you can not have the meal at their restaurant as you were really looking forward to it, so it has come as a great disapointment.

you may be lucky and find management more sympathetic than someone on the phone.
  9. Avatar
    Author
    Bertz9913/11/2021 20:46

yes looks perfectly legal and yes things happen but is it their fault you …yes looks perfectly legal and yes things happen but is it their fault you did not make good on the booking and resources they lined up for you?Of interest you got any travel insurance as last one I signed up up covered this scenario albeit was really taken in case I broke down abroad.

I Understand their Point but I don't think they would have made a huge loss for two people at lunch time. I
  10. Avatar
    deleted272703313/11/2021 20:50

Comment deleted

My KFC don't charge me a deposit nor do I have to book in advance.

Granted, they're not Michelin star...
  11. Avatar
    Author
    mutley113/11/2021 20:49

as it states so in their t&c, they are entitled to take the money as their …as it states so in their t&c, they are entitled to take the money as their policy does not allow for mishaps that may occur. you took the risk when you booked so they are fully entitled to keep the deposit.a lot of businesses may offer a partial refund due to extenuating circumstances to keep good will and customers but they have decided not to do so on this occasion. you could write in to management and show them evidence of the breakdown, as you will need evidence, and ask if they would consider allowing you to book a different date and transfer the deposit over rather than lose it, as it was a very stressful situation that was out of your control. you are very upset that you can not have the meal at their restaurant as you were really looking forward to it, so it has come as a great disapointment.you may be lucky and find management more sympathetic than someone on the phone.

I explained it briefly, managers response : I am very sorry to hear this but unfortunately this doesn’t fall under our cancellation policy so I am unable to reschedule your table or process a refund.

Kind regards,
  12. Avatar
    Ivandelsur13/11/2021 20:52

I explained it briefly, managers response : I am very sorry to hear this …I explained it briefly, managers response : I am very sorry to hear this but unfortunately this doesn’t fall under our cancellation policy so I am unable to reschedule your table or process a refund.Kind regards,

then that is the end of the matter then as they obviously do not value your custom. down to KFC you go then, where they will appreciate you more, especially if you pay £85pp
    Edited by: "mutley1" 13th Nov 2021
  13. Avatar
    Author
    mutley113/11/2021 20:54

then that is the end of the matter then as they obviously do not value …then that is the end of the matter then as they obviously do not value your custom. down to KFC you go then, where they will appreciate you more, especially if you pay £85pp

HAha. Seems like it, LOL. What an expensive Saturday! With the car on top
  14. Avatar
    Ivandelsur13/11/2021 20:54

HAha. Seems like it, LOL. What an expensive Saturday! With the car on top

you win some, you lose some i am afraid.

the restaurant is probably popular so it doesn' worry about losing your custom. i would never go anywhere that charges £85pp. £85 for two is already quite expensive in my opinion
  15. Avatar

I Already did! See what happens... It should work because I didn't recieve …I Already did! See what happens... It should work because I didn't recieve what I paid for

You got exactly what you paid for, a table reservation. You didn't use what you paid for so i wouldn't expect you to get your money back.

If you rang McDonald's and paid for £100 worth of food for collection and then never collected it, would you expect them to give your money back?
  16. Avatar

I Understand their Point but I don't think they would have made a huge …I Understand their Point but I don't think they would have made a huge loss for two people at lunch time. I

Two places on food alone for Michelin ranges from £46 upto £750 and then drinks ontop (that are rarely cheap in michelin restaurants). Price up what you would have had on the menu with drinks and see if you would have any change for that £85. If you would then maybe you have an area you could dispute the difference.

Would be surprised if you got chargeback, although if you do and restaurant decided to follow up you could end up worth more costs.
  17. Avatar
    Restaurants, especially top end ones, have major problems with people making bookings and then being no-shows. Lots of people will make bookings at 2 or 3 (or more) places with the intention of choosing at the last minute which booking they will take up.

Thats why they have these policies.

Yes you've fallen foul of it, but there isn't anything you can do about it.
    You could ask if they got a walk-in for the table and for them to waive the cost if they did, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Every no-show will claim they were in an accident or their mother died or whatever.
    Unless you are a regular you are unlikely to get anywhere.
  18. Avatar
    The way I see it - if you can afford to book @ £110pp then you can afford to get there regardless (ever heard of a taxi? I spent £300 in one to keep my last reservation)
    You should always factor to expect the unexpected, when you have money it makes the unexpected flow smoother.
    If you can't afford to waive the £110pp deposit I would recommend you book somewhere cheaper next time.
    I would invoke the old adage if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it...
    Found a picture I took:
    46063732-Kg8Yo.jpg
    Edited by: "aLV426" 13th Nov 2021
  19. Avatar
    Write a letter to the owner of the restaurant.
    Managers are often jobsworths these days and lack basic common sense.

I can guarantee that you will recieve a favourable reply.
  20. Avatar

I really don't think you get their point. Why do you feel you can devalue the restaurant? They have bills to pay and have lost revenue due to your actions. In fact since you invoked a charge back your booking has actually impacted their profit for the day as they will incur the charge back fees on top of the lost revenue. It's actions like this that drive prices up and force restaurants to put non-refundable deposit requirements in place in the first place.
    I can't understand how people can be so blinkered to the reality of their actions.
  21. Avatar
    Author
    aLV42613/11/2021 21:22

I really don't think you get their point. Why do you feel you can devalue …I really don't think you get their point. Why do you feel you can devalue the restaurant? They have bills to pay and have lost revenue due to your actions. In fact since you invoked a charge back your booking has actually impacted their profit for the day as they will incur the charge back fees on top of the lost revenue. It's actions like this that drive prices up and force restaurants to put non-refundable deposit requirements in place in the first place. I can't understand how people can be so blinkered to the reality of their actions.

I Think you may own a restaurant? My dad has a Bar and would never do anything similar to this to a customer. People have lost feelings and not matter what happens to them. It is all covered by a paper of terms and conditions. This is the world we live in...
  22. Avatar
    a666andy13/11/2021 20:57

You got exactly what you paid for, a table reservation. You didn't use …You got exactly what you paid for, a table reservation. You didn't use what you paid for so i wouldn't expect you to get your money back.If you rang McDonald's and paid for £100 worth of food for collection and then never collected it, would you expect them to give your money back?

That's like comparing apples to oranges. If you pay for £100 worth of food at McDonalds then a staff member has had to prepare that food and make it and it would be sitting there going cold. In this situation the op didn't have the restaurant do anything. They didn't prepare any food, their waiters didn't spend any time doing anything. It's cost them nothing.
  23. Avatar
    Author
    Exactly that! They may have lost profit that day but not their own costs. That's for sure!
  24. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9013/11/2021 21:25

That's like comparing apples to oranges. If you pay for £100 worth of food …That's like comparing apples to oranges. If you pay for £100 worth of food at McDonalds then a staff member has had to prepare that food and make it and it would be sitting there going cold. In this situation the op didn't have the restaurant do anything. They didn't prepare any food, their waiters didn't spend any time doing anything. It's cost them nothing.

Except for lost revenue.
  25. Avatar
    aLV42613/11/2021 21:22

I really don't think you get their point. Why do you feel you can devalue …I really don't think you get their point. Why do you feel you can devalue the restaurant? They have bills to pay and have lost revenue due to your actions. In fact since you invoked a charge back your booking has actually impacted their profit for the day as they will incur the charge back fees on top of the lost revenue. It's actions like this that drive prices up and force restaurants to put non-refundable deposit requirements in place in the first place. I can't understand how people can be so blinkered to the reality of their actions.

I really don't think a Michelin star restaurant which sells a £5-£10 cost price meal for £80 to hundreds of people per day will be worried about a tiny cashback claim.

a666andy13/11/2021 21:27

Except for lost revenue.

They wont have lost anything. Said restaurant will also have walk ins and there's a very high chance the place was filled anyway.
    Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 13th Nov 2021
  26. Avatar

I Understand that but there are circumstances where is impossible to …I Understand that but there are circumstances where is impossible to attend due to this kind of things and they'll still take the money? [Image] Terms and conditions

You don’t get it do you you paid £85pp and don’t think they will have made a loss because you werent there. You do know that they still had to put the lights on, buy food which they would have charged you a fortune and paid for staff, rent etc. Yes things happen but they will have had so many no shows like you not turning up they have to charge you. Restaurant are complaining that they have lots of no shows big numbers and it all affects their bottom line.
  27. Avatar
    Author
    eslick13/11/2021 21:29

You don’t get it do you you paid £85pp and don’t think they will have made …You don’t get it do you you paid £85pp and don’t think they will have made a loss because you werent there. You do know that they still had to put the lights on, buy food which they would have charged you a fortune and paid for staff, rent etc. Yes things happen but they will have had so many no shows like you not turning up they have to charge you. Restaurant are complaining that they have lots of no shows big numbers and it all affects their bottom line.

Then they should be sensible and charge me a bit not the entire deposit. That's how it should be
  28. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9013/11/2021 21:28

I really don't think a Michelin star restaurant which sells a £5-£10 cost p …I really don't think a Michelin star restaurant which sells a £5-£10 cost price meal for £80 to hundreds of people per day will be worried about a tiny cashback claim.They wont have lost anything. Said restaurant will also have walk ins and there's a very high chance the place was filled anyway.

A Michelin star restaurant may not have walk ins that’s the point of a deposit.
  29. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9013/11/2021 21:25

That's like comparing apples to oranges. If you pay for £100 worth of food …That's like comparing apples to oranges. If you pay for £100 worth of food at McDonalds then a staff member has had to prepare that food and make it and it would be sitting there going cold. In this situation the op didn't have the restaurant do anything. They didn't prepare any food, their waiters didn't spend any time doing anything. It's cost them nothing.

That blinkered mentality is what costs people jobs. Again why devalue a restaurant? I really don't think it's fair to compare a restaurant to a fast food franchise. It's not like McDonalds need to employ a Michlen starred chef...
  30. Avatar

Then they should be sensible and charge me a bit not the entire deposit. …Then they should be sensible and charge me a bit not the entire deposit. That's how it should be

If it should have been you would have known that when you paid the deposit but you agreed to the terms and conditions.

Restaurants are new to deposits but if you booked a hotel room and had paid the full price for a non refundable room and couldn’t have gone you wouldn’t have got the money back for that either. Buy a made to order product and pay a deposit and change your mind you don’t get the money back. Book a holiday pay a deposit and can’t go you don’t get your money back. This is the same thing.
  31. Avatar

Like I said I would recommend you book somewhere you can affford next time...
  32. Avatar
    aLV42613/11/2021 21:37

That blinkered mentality is what costs people jobs. Again why devalue a …That blinkered mentality is what costs people jobs. Again why devalue a restaurant? I really don't think it's fair to compare a restaurant to a fast food franchise. It's not like McDonalds need to employ a Michlen starred chef...

I've only ever eaten in 1 Michelin star restaurant and it really wasn't that great. Certainly not worth the money. When you're charging £10 for a portion of chips and £6 for a coke zero i'm pretty sure the wages will be covered just fine.
  33. Avatar

I really don't think a Michelin star restaurant which sells a £5-£10 cost p …I really don't think a Michelin star restaurant which sells a £5-£10 cost price meal for £80 to hundreds of people per day will be worried about a tiny cashback claim.They wont have lost anything. Said restaurant will also have walk ins and there's a very high chance the place was filled anyway.

It's not just the cost of the food you are paying for - it's the experience, both of the visit and the Michelin starred chef. Not all chefs are equal, not all chefs can cook a £20 piece of meat the same. I really don't think you understand how a restaurant works or the costs involved. Imagine if everyone decided to request a refund - the restaurant would be out of business...
    Also it sounds like you haven't experience a meal cooked by a Michelin starred chef.

MonkeyMan9013/11/2021 21:42

I've only ever eaten in 1 Michelin star restaurant and it really wasn't …I've only ever eaten in 1 Michelin star restaurant and it really wasn't that great. Certainly not worth the money. When you're charging £10 for a portion of chips and £6 for a coke zero i'm pretty sure the wages will be covered just fine.

You went to a Michelin starred restaurant and ordered chips & a coke? I think the point of that restaurant was lost on you...
    Edited by: "aLV426" 13th Nov 2021
  34. Avatar
    Author
    aLV42613/11/2021 21:37

Like I said I would recommend you book somewhere you can affford next …Like I said I would recommend you book somewhere you can affford next time...

There are people who saves money to go to more expensive restaurants instead of eating out every weekend. That is my case and I don't like when people don't look at individual situations.
    Edited by: "Ivandelsur" 13th Nov 2021
  35. Avatar
    aLV42613/11/2021 21:46

It's not just the cost of the food you are paying for - it's the …It's not just the cost of the food you are paying for - it's the experience, both of the visit and the Michelin starred chef. Not all chefs are equal, not all chefs can cook a £20 piece of meat the same. I really don't think you understand how a restaurant works or the costs involved. Imagine if everyone decided to request a refund - the restaurant would be out of business...Also it sounds like you haven't experience a meal cooked by a Michelin starred chef.

I agree but the experience i had wasn't great so i wont ever visit another. First impression is a lasting impression and all that. Also why would everybody request a refund. This is an isolated incident which i think the restaurant has handled poorly and probably lost a customer.
  36. Avatar
    aLV42613/11/2021 21:46

You went to a Michelin starred restaurant and ordered chips & a coke? I …You went to a Michelin starred restaurant and ordered chips & a coke? I think the point of that restaurant was lost on you...

No that was just an example of costs lol. I'd have gone to the local chippy if i ordered that.
  37. Avatar
    Author
    MonkeyMan9013/11/2021 21:50

I agree but the experience i had wasn't great so i wont ever visit …I agree but the experience i had wasn't great so i wont ever visit another. First impression is a lasting impression and all that. Also why would everybody request a refund. This is an isolated incident which i think the restaurant has handled poorly and probably lost a customer.

Its not the same eating in a michelín star in the UK than in Spain. If you go to Spain, try it there! You will see the difference
  38. Avatar
    Ivandelsur13/11/2021 22:00

Its not the same eating in a michelín star in the UK than in Spain. If you …Its not the same eating in a michelín star in the UK than in Spain. If you go to Spain, try it there! You will see the difference

Thanks I will try that.
  39. Avatar
    Ivandelsur13/11/2021 21:27

Exactly that! They may have lost profit that day but not their own costs. …Exactly that! They may have lost profit that day but not their own costs. That's for sure!

You were their profit!

They may have bought extra steak that they now have to bin.

You agreed to pay that deposit, A deposit is quite often none refundable.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 13th Nov 2021
  40. Avatar
    Witnessed at Royal Hospital Road (Restaurant Gordon Ramsay) a couple turned away and refused deposit refund as they attended 15 minutes late. Ruthless, but to the letter of the terms. This was several years back now so might have changed, but doubt it.
Post a comment
Top Merchants