Restaurant hygiene issue.

Found 21st Nov 2017Edited by:"SOUTHWALES"
Hi, Today My wife wanted kfc for lunch, I myself am not fussed on fast food but though okay let's go, the way the restaurant is arranged is that to get to the toilets you go through the same door that gets the staff I to the kitchen area and behind the counter, so basically you go trough this door and it's either left to the toilets, straight ahead to the kitchen or right to behind counter, my issue with this being that there must be many customers using the bathroom and not washing there hands especially children, and at the same time you have staff using that same door and handle as they take food or drink to some tables, this usually happens when your food is going to be several minutes and they say take a seat and we will bring it over, then it is back behind the counter to prepare the next customers food.

I am already put off pizza Hut as last time I was there you got to use your plate over and over again, the problem being that although you used a pair of tongs to put your food on the plate, the tongs from other customers kept touching the plate from where they had eaten there last load of food, if you are cutting through your pizza etc with your knife and fork then placing said fork in your mouth and back and forth to plate it is a sure way to spread bacteria and possible viruses.

I am totally put off fast food for life.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
That'll be where all the reported deaths from pee-poisoning following a visit to KFC came from.

Seriously though OP,

'I am already put off pizza Hut as last time I was there you got to use your plate over and over again, the problem being that although you used a pair of tongs to put your food on the plate, the tongs from other customers kept touching the plate from where they had eaten there last load of food, if you are cutting through your pizza etc with your knife and fork then placing said fork in your mouth and back and forth to plate it is a sure way to spread bacteria and possible viruses.'

does seem a little obsessive.
Edited by: "deeky" 21st Nov 2017
Well I got a right telling off from a vegetarian behind me in Toby Carvery.
Being on yet another diet I chose the meat and offered half of it to my hubby, readily accepting I picked up the tongs on top of the batter puddings and used them to transfer the meat from my plate to his, then picked up a batter pudding. The woman behind me yelled at me for using the tongs for meat and then placing them back on the batter puddings. Being a vegetarian how could she then use them to pick up a batter pudding? and then made a big fuss asking for fresh tongs.
I did point out that she shouldn't even be eating the batter puddings as they were made with beef dripping. It was at that point she blanked me, suddenly turning deaf
(Bit off topic I know.)
I'm put off fast food because it tastes vile. I do think you are over analysing the hygiene issue though. Not saying these places are clean but boycotting pizza hut because someone might possibly have used tongs which may have touched a plate they have eaten off is going a bit far.
Toptrumpet14 m ago

Well I got a right telling off from a vegetarian behind me in Toby …Well I got a right telling off from a vegetarian behind me in Toby Carvery.Being on yet another diet I chose the meat and offered half of it to my hubby, readily accepting I picked up the tongs on top of the batter puddings and used them to transfer the meat from my plate to his, then picked up a batter pudding. The woman behind me yelled at me for using the tongs for meat and then placing them back on the batter puddings. Being a vegetarian how could she then use them to pick up a batter pudding? and then made a big fuss asking for fresh tongs.I did point out that she shouldn't even be eating the batter puddings as they were made with beef dripping. It was at that point she blanked me, suddenly turning deaf(Bit off topic I know.)

Why on earth was a vegetarian at a carvery ? What is the point in that?
49 Comments
You want to watch pamela anderson and kfc to put the final nail in the coffin
That'll be where all the reported deaths from pee-poisoning following a visit to KFC came from.

Seriously though OP,

'I am already put off pizza Hut as last time I was there you got to use your plate over and over again, the problem being that although you used a pair of tongs to put your food on the plate, the tongs from other customers kept touching the plate from where they had eaten there last load of food, if you are cutting through your pizza etc with your knife and fork then placing said fork in your mouth and back and forth to plate it is a sure way to spread bacteria and possible viruses.'

does seem a little obsessive.
Edited by: "deeky" 21st Nov 2017
deeky3 m ago

That'll be where all the reported deaths from pee-poisoning following a …That'll be where all the reported deaths from pee-poisoning following a visit to KFC came from.

You're the carrier. Should've washed your hands
Well I got a right telling off from a vegetarian behind me in Toby Carvery.
Being on yet another diet I chose the meat and offered half of it to my hubby, readily accepting I picked up the tongs on top of the batter puddings and used them to transfer the meat from my plate to his, then picked up a batter pudding. The woman behind me yelled at me for using the tongs for meat and then placing them back on the batter puddings. Being a vegetarian how could she then use them to pick up a batter pudding? and then made a big fuss asking for fresh tongs.
I did point out that she shouldn't even be eating the batter puddings as they were made with beef dripping. It was at that point she blanked me, suddenly turning deaf
(Bit off topic I know.)
I'm put off fast food because it tastes vile. I do think you are over analysing the hygiene issue though. Not saying these places are clean but boycotting pizza hut because someone might possibly have used tongs which may have touched a plate they have eaten off is going a bit far.
Toptrumpet14 m ago

Well I got a right telling off from a vegetarian behind me in Toby …Well I got a right telling off from a vegetarian behind me in Toby Carvery.Being on yet another diet I chose the meat and offered half of it to my hubby, readily accepting I picked up the tongs on top of the batter puddings and used them to transfer the meat from my plate to his, then picked up a batter pudding. The woman behind me yelled at me for using the tongs for meat and then placing them back on the batter puddings. Being a vegetarian how could she then use them to pick up a batter pudding? and then made a big fuss asking for fresh tongs.I did point out that she shouldn't even be eating the batter puddings as they were made with beef dripping. It was at that point she blanked me, suddenly turning deaf(Bit off topic I know.)

'Eat fast, die young'

After not eating in a fast food chain for many, many years I had a KFC about 2 weeks ago, I was heading somewhere for an evening out. So I choose KFC. The coffee machine was OOO, so I had tea. Once finished, I took off the top to get the last mouthful, THERE staring back at me was a black hair (I'm blonde) . I was close to vomiting. NEVER AGAIN.
Zixxxx14 m ago

'Eat fast, die young'After not eating in a fast food chain for many, many …'Eat fast, die young'After not eating in a fast food chain for many, many years I had a KFC about 2 weeks ago, I was heading somewhere for an evening out. So I choose KFC. The coffee machine was OOO, so I had tea. Once finished, I took off the top to get the last mouthful, THERE staring back at me was a black hair (I'm blonde) . I was close to vomiting. NEVER AGAIN.

Was it curly?
Toptrumpet36 m ago

She could use her fingers. Then she would have to sue herself if she got poisoned. Then again, her fingers are meat. How do you eat a bag of crisps or a sandwich if you are vegetarian. Do you have to wear gloves?
So I guess this restaurant also has two entrances into it, one for people who wash their hands after a pee and ones who don't, because if they only have one entrance which everyone uses it would make your whole point completely irrelevant.
And, what about the condition of the loos. Does no one clean them ?
I worked in Tesco thirty years ago the 'butchers' were renowned for not washing after coming back from the bathroom

welcome to the UK
Fast food also comes in boxes and the people serving it are not the people cooking it. The staff serving the food don't touch it. They pick up stuff wrapped in paper swathed in cardboard and deliver it to you on a tray with a sheet of paper on it just in case that is dirty. I went to a restaurant yesterday and the waitress put my plate down and she wasn't wearing gloves. She was the same waitress who handed me the menu. The previous person to handle that menu may have touched the doorknob of the toilets when someone had not washed their hands had also touched it. Somebody may also have sneezed on that table within the last thirty days. Germs exist. Such is life.
deeky26 m ago

Was it curly?

Fortunately not
If you are this concerned about food hygiene then why bother eating out at all?
Edited by: "RossD89" 22nd Nov 2017
I do know that reason my local pub has been turned down form serving food is because the chef/staff would have to walk past the toilets from the kitchen to be able to serve the food. Why should it be any diffrent for a fast food store.
I would say that any germs you might pick up from these places will still be more healthy than the food!

I'm sure I read somewhere that a lot of public transport seats and handrails etc have traces of faeces on them. You can't obsess too much or you'd starve.
I am obsessive like this.

I know that a large amount of men don't wash their hands after using public toilets. I also for this reason never open the toilet door with my bare hands, which always seems to need to pull towards you to exit, which i find odd. I always use tissue or worst case my sleeve to pull the door, or my foot. Yes, if i have to juggle it looking like mr bean then so be it.

Before I do all the above i also check scores on the doors app to make sure that i am not served poor quality food and to see if they have a minimum of 3 stars for hygiene, i'd normally only go if they were 4 or 5 stars though.

Tripadvisor for reviews too.

I do eat out in a decent restuarant at least once per week minimum, usually its a regularly joint. So the above may sound a big faff, but it really isn't.

Buffet eating is a big put off for me.

I also don't touch KFC regardless of their hygiene rating.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 21st Nov 2017
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 0 m ago

because they always have a vegetarian option
I like to smear my poo everywhere in fast food toilets, that way I know if there is any fecal matter on it it's probably mine.
I very rarely do KFC these days myself, every other time I eat it I seem to go off like a shotgun – I do enjoy their corn on the cob though. Yummy!
J4GG447 m ago

I am obsessive like this.I know that a large amount of men don't wash …I am obsessive like this.I know that a large amount of men don't wash their hands after using public toilets. I also for this reason never open the toilet door with my bare hands, which always seems to need to pull towards you to exit, which i find odd. I always use tissue or worst case my sleeve to pull the door, or my foot. Yes, if i have to juggle it looking like mr bean then so be it.Before I do all the above i also check scores on the doors app to make sure that i am not served poor quality food and to see if they have a minimum of 3 stars for hygiene, i'd normally only go if they were 4 or 5 stars though.Tripadvisor for reviews too.I do eat out in a decent restuarant at least once per week minimum, usually its a regularly joint. So the above may sound a big faff, but it really isn't. Buffet eating is a big put off for me.I also don't touch KFC regardless of their hygiene rating.

If you use your sleeve, that's embedded in your clothing all day. If you use your hand, or say your pinky finger you can wash that at your earliest convince.

I know which I'd prefer.
The people who notice these issues..if I owned a restaurant I would be offering a good wage for your input

Some people just don't think before touching
I'd be more much worried about the crap in the food chain that will be in junk food than some kids who don't wash their hands.
unreality10 m ago

The people who notice these issues..if I owned a restaurant I would be …The people who notice these issues..if I owned a restaurant I would be offering a good wage for your inputSome people just don't think before touching

Most employers would probably not hire someone who suggested closing the restaurant for an expensive re-model because some staff and customers happen to use the same door.
J4GG41 h, 9 m ago

I am obsessive like this.I know that a large amount of men don't wash …I am obsessive like this.I know that a large amount of men don't wash their hands after using public toilets. I also for this reason never open the toilet door with my bare hands, which always seems to need to pull towards you to exit, which i find odd. I always use tissue or worst case my sleeve to pull the door, or my foot. Yes, if i have to juggle it looking like mr bean then so be it.Before I do all the above i also check scores on the doors app to make sure that i am not served poor quality food and to see if they have a minimum of 3 stars for hygiene, i'd normally only go if they were 4 or 5 stars though.Tripadvisor for reviews too.I do eat out in a decent restuarant at least once per week minimum, usually its a regularly joint. So the above may sound a big faff, but it really isn't. Buffet eating is a big put off for me.I also don't touch KFC regardless of their hygiene rating.

This might help
Toptrumpet2 h, 30 m ago

If I saw you do that believe me I would have had a right go at you for your ignorance or lack of courtesy.
Too many ignorant morons out there.
'Poo, it's getting everywhere. Faecal bacteria are present on 26% of hands in the UK, 14% of banknotes and 10% of credit cards, according to new research carried out by hygiene experts from Queen Mary, University of London (QMUL) and the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). It has been published to promote the UN's Global Handwashing Day.'

bbc.com/new…975

That's a whole lotta inconsiderate dirty sods.
MSK.2 h, 16 m ago

If you use your sleeve, that's embedded in your clothing all day. If you …If you use your sleeve, that's embedded in your clothing all day. If you use your hand, or say your pinky finger you can wash that at your earliest convince.I know which I'd prefer.

So picture the scene, you're in a restaurant about to eat, you go to the toilet and use your pinky finger to open the toilet door. You then sit down and your ribs turn up that you pick up and eat with your fingers. What time is this earliest convenience to have washed your hands then?. I would not feel comfortable eating even with a fork knowing that my pinky could have poo on it.

1. Use tissue
2. Use sleeve
OllieSt1 h, 56 m ago

This might help

Have you not got to put that loodini in your pocket, since i don't carry a handbag around?. Covering your pockets with poopski.
Crossings with the buttons on em, buses and trains, all doors anything can have poo on it, even sticks.

Do people still lick their fingers to count folding money
OllieSt4 h, 49 m ago

This might help

Thats stupid, just buy tissues, hand gel or wet wipes
J4GG43 h, 55 m ago

So picture the scene, you're in a restaurant about to eat, you go to the …So picture the scene, you're in a restaurant about to eat, you go to the toilet and use your pinky finger to open the toilet door. You then sit down and your ribs turn up that you pick up and eat with your fingers. What time is this earliest convenience to have washed your hands then?. I would not feel comfortable eating even with a fork knowing that my pinky could have poo on it.1. Use tissue2. Use sleeve

Don't order ribs? Pick something that uses cutlery? Eat somewhere cleaner? Hold that wazz in till after dinner?

I'd rather do pretty much anything than walk round in clothes potentially besmirched by someone else's urine all day.
Edited by: "MSK." 22nd Nov 2017
Toptrumpet10 h, 37 m ago

Wtf is a batter pudding and why is it repeated a dozen times in this story?
RossD897 m ago

Wtf is a batter pudding and why is it repeated a dozen times in this …Wtf is a batter pudding and why is it repeated a dozen times in this story?

I assumed yorkshirers
Just prepare food yourself if you are sensitive about public hygiene, no-one with respect for hygiene would eat in a fast food restaurant or takeaway...look at their cleanliness rating too. Their rating out of 5 can vary widely between establishments in your area. Some adults and children get sick because some people have very poor habits when they are meant to wash their hands... probably poor parenting is at fault.

You can only be so careful when you are in public places so best to use hand sanitizer when you are out and about
If you want to guarantee food hygiene stick with eating at home.

I am lucky in that I have a robust system and can happily munch street food in India and thailand or the burger van that pitches up in town on a saturday night with no ill effects, the only occasions I have had food poisoning is from 4 and 5 * hotels.
Toilet Doors should push out from the exit. Pointless washing your hands before you eat when you have to pull a handle. Don't think restaurants got the memo. I suppose you could stand at the door and wait for someone to come in..

I also use the pinky to open the door. Had a nice burger at the weekend, it hasn't killed me yet.
RossD891 h, 0 m ago

Wtf is a batter pudding and why is it repeated a dozen times in this …Wtf is a batter pudding and why is it repeated a dozen times in this story?

I called it a batter pudding as it was made in Essex, if it was made in Yorkshire I'd have called it a Yorkshire pudding.
Toptrumpet35 m ago

I called it a batter pudding as it was made in Essex, if it was made in …I called it a batter pudding as it was made in Essex, if it was made in Yorkshire I'd have called it a Yorkshire pudding.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where it's made. It's a Yorkshire pudding.

But that's beside the point. I was just confused lol. Cheers for clearing it up
Edited by: "RossD89" 22nd Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions