Restaurants in UK

Found 6th Mar
What to do if the food you order certain dish in a restaurant is not up to the mark in taste. Do we still have to pay the bill. ?
Community Updates
AskGroceries
14 Comments
I wouldn't eat it. Tell the staff that it's not acceptable and then only pay for what you've had (drinks etc).
I wouldn't allow them to offer you something else as a replacement dish.
Consumer Rights Act

If you are unhappy with the quality of food and/or the service you have received, you may have the right to a price reduction or a refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (CRA). Diners are legally entitled to have food provided with reasonable care and skill.

The CRA sets out various rights and remedies available to consumers who receive poor service or poor quality goods from business organisations. However, if the food is not good (ie. it is not of satisfactory quality), it is best to bring it to the attention of the waiting staff or the manager to strengthen your position.

If the diner believes the food was defective (eg. the bread is stale or the vegetables are old and inedible, or burnt, or the meat is off) they may have an arguable case to refuse to pay at all, or negotiate a price reduction. It must be remembered that tastes are subjective, so what may be burnt or overcooked to one diner may be perfect to another. There must, therefore, be room for negotiation between the parties – and reasonableness on both sides.

If possible, take photographs of the food: these could be useful as evidence if it becomes necessary. If you are concerned that you could become ill as a result of food you have eaten, it is worth remembering to try to take a sample of food home with you. This could be vital if you are seeking compensation for your pain and suffering.

Diners have specific rights under the law in relation to goods and services – this includes food and drink served in a restaurant. However, the taste and food experience is to a large extent subjective: what is great food to one person may not be to another.

This means diners who don’t feel they should pay their bill must be able to recognise, as far as possible, what comprises a failure on the part of the restaurant to comply with their legal duty, and what are unacceptable expectations or a misunderstanding regarding the quality and presentation of the food.

Restaurant owners must honour the reasonable expectations of the patrons. This means honouring price promises on promotional materials, advertising and menus. Where diners are not happy with the food provided, the parties should attempt a reasonable settlement of the matter.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 6th Mar
I had a similar experience in a well established restaurant, with a great reputation. I ordered the roast chicken meal. The chicken tasted of sausages, was seeped in oil and was raw next to the bone. It was obviously deep fried. I called the waitress over and discretely told her I couldn't eat it. I explained my complaints. Next thing I know the chef is there screaming at me telling me it is perfectly fine, not raw. After a minute of his ranting I calmly said "You eat it then!".
He stormed off, the manager came over and offered to get me another dish. I refused of course. We paid for three meals and our drinks and left.

Just pay for what you eat, if the reason you don't eat it is that it is unacceptable.
Edited by: "mrty" 6th Mar
Just eat it and get out
All depends on what you define as not up to the mark in taste.
- If it doesn’t taste like mother used to make. Then maybe that’s because she has a secret family recipe or what the restaurant has is how it should taste
- Isn’t cooked properly, tastes off or has some other detrimental finish like a caterpillar. Then refuse to pay for it making sure you don’t polish off the plate.
mrty9 h, 3 m ago

I had a similar experience in a well established restaurant, with a great …I had a similar experience in a well established restaurant, with a great reputation. I ordered the roast chicken meal. The chicken tasted of sausages, was seeped in oil and was raw next to the bone. It was obviously deep fried. I called the waitress over and discretely told her I couldn't eat it. I explained my complaints. Next thing I know the chef is there screaming at me telling me it is perfectly fine, not raw. After a minute of his ranting I calmly said "You eat it then!".He stormed off, the manager came over and offered to get me another dish. I refused of course. We paid for three meals and our drinks and left.Just pay for what you eat, if the reason you don't eat it is that it is unacceptable.

If that happened to me I would have told the manager to mange his staff in a proper manner, walked out without paying anything, stating you will re-evaluate the overall service and food bill at a later stage after giving the whole scenario some serious thought.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 6th Mar
mrty45 m ago

I had a similar experience in a well established restaurant, with a great …I had a similar experience in a well established restaurant, with a great reputation. I ordered the roast chicken meal. The chicken tasted of sausages, was seeped in oil and was raw next to the bone. It was obviously deep fried. I called the waitress over and discretely told her I couldn't eat it. I explained my complaints. Next thing I know the chef is there screaming at me telling me it is perfectly fine, not raw. After a minute of his ranting I calmly said "You eat it then!".He stormed off, the manager came over and offered to get me another dish. I refused of course. We paid for three meals and our drinks and left.Just pay for what you eat, if the reason you don't eat it is that it is unacceptable.

I know someone who had a very similar experience on a cruise ship, the chef was a well known chef from Yorkshire, who comes across as all calm and friendly on his TV programs!
WTF?? Normally any half decent establishment will ask you after about 5 minutes of you receiving your food if everything is ok. That is the point you tell them so they have the opportunity to rectify anything you consider to be unsuitable. If you're looking for a one-size-fits-all excuse which will mean you don't have to pay for food every again I suggest you never go out.
yes, you would still have to pay. you could complain and they can give you a discount or another dish.

we just don't go back again.
If you find what you are supplied is unsatisfactory then you have the right to reject it as such.

If you consume it then that is deemed to have accepted.

If you reject (sooner you do then the stronger the case) then you need to be amenable to the restaurant rectifying the issue to your satisfaction. If they can't or are unwilling (like the example of the chef shouting above) then you need to give them your details should they wish to progress a civil matter against you as you refuse to pay. You do still have to pay for everything but what you have rejected as unsatisfactory though.

If you walk out without giving your details then this could be viewed as a criminal matter and I would expect the restaurant to make a phone call to the police.
Nice comprehensive answers. I just had a similar experience as the food wasn't up to the mark and asked for price reduction but the owner refused to reduce the bill or provided any compensation.
mwkhan698 h, 45 m ago

Nice comprehensive answers. I just had a similar experience as the food …Nice comprehensive answers. I just had a similar experience as the food wasn't up to the mark and asked for price reduction but the owner refused to reduce the bill or provided any compensation.

What do you mean by the food not being "up to mark"?
mwkhan699 h, 0 m ago

Nice comprehensive answers. I just had a similar experience as the food …Nice comprehensive answers. I just had a similar experience as the food wasn't up to the mark and asked for price reduction but the owner refused to reduce the bill or provided any compensation.

Did you complain before eating it all?
Yes we did and they no one ever complaint b4. I said i don't know about others if they ve ever complained or not. Its how we make.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants