restore my files in vista

hi, i have a home network... i shared my docs in the network sharing folder.. then i wanted to disable it. so i deleted it from there.. now i have my my docs folder lost.. all my pics, mp3, movies,data all lost.. ma pc is a lyk a empty notebook
im using vista premium... anyone can help me undo my mistake..
please help me,..

i hope some smarty cud help me out

15 Comments

Ideally you should power the notebook down and remove the hard drive then work with it by attached it to another PC by a USB caddy as the more you use the laptop the less likely you are to get files back. I'd recommend something like this:

pcinspector.de/Sit…e=1

It's very much hit and miss what you'll get back especially with larger more complex files.

John

Original Poster

is there anyway to undo it.. cuz i lost all the files in my user profile..
in my desktop folder, music, pics, docs all.....

i got recovery softz ..but i need a way to undo it lyk to the state it wuz a hour ago

Banned

Johnmcl7;2502184

Ideally you should power the notebook down and remove the hard drive then … Ideally you should power the notebook down and remove the hard drive then work with it by attached it to another PC by a USB caddy as the more you use the laptop the less likely you are to get files back. I'd recommend something like this:http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/info.htm?language=1It's very much hit and miss what you'll get back especially with larger more complex files.John

Thats a bit drastic.

Have you checked the recycle bin?

If files are not in there, try a system restore back 1 or 2 days.

What version of Vista is it? Most versions of Vista have shadow copy running as default. Try right clicking the containing folder and looking for a "previous versions" tab.

Banned

MrShed;2502549

What version of Vista is it? Most versions of Vista have shadow copy … What version of Vista is it? Most versions of Vista have shadow copy running as default. Try right clicking the containing folder and looking for a "previous versions" tab.

Good point! You will need to create a new My Documents folder etc and then right click for previous version (if any).

The Home Editions lack the "Previous Versions" feature, even though the Volume Snapshot Service is included and running. Using third party tools it is still possible to restore lost or altered files

csiman;2502612

Good point! You will need to create a new My Documents folder etc and … Good point! You will need to create a new My Documents folder etc and then right click for previous version (if any).The Home Editions lack the "Previous Versions" feature, even though the Volume Snapshot Service is included and running. Using third party tools it is still possible to restore lost or altered files

Thats a shame suppose it would mainly be a business use. Sounds as if this user has Vista Home Premium at a guess so probably wont be available - always worth checking though!

Banned

I would still go for a system restore (after checking the recycle bin lol).

System restore doesnt touch user files though? Only system files and registry? Or so I thought...

Should be in misc.

emasu;2502895

Should be in misc.

Agreed

csiman;2502213

Thats a bit drastic.Have you checked the recycle bin?If files are not in … Thats a bit drastic.Have you checked the recycle bin?If files are not in there, try a system restore back 1 or 2 days.

It's not drastic, it's likely to be the only option if the files have been deleted and cleared from the recycle bin. System restore is for system settings, not user data and will not recover deleted files.

microsoft.com/win…spx

"System Restore does not affect your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e–mail) so you won't lose changes made to these files."

Unfortunately this works in reverse as well.

John

Original Poster

csiman;2502213

Thats a bit drastic.Have you checked the recycle bin?If files are not in … Thats a bit drastic.Have you checked the recycle bin?If files are not in there, try a system restore back 1 or 2 days.

tried system restore it doesnt fix user files

Original Poster

emasu;2502895

Should be in misc.

where is misc??

Original Poster

MrShed;2502549

What version of Vista is it? Most versions of Vista have shadow copy … What version of Vista is it? Most versions of Vista have shadow copy running as default. Try right clicking the containing folder and looking for a "previous versions" tab.

vista home premium

Original Poster

thanks to all who tried to help me out.. i found the perfect solution
its a 550kb software called shadow explorer.. it helpd me to get my pc to the previous state..its lyk a sys restore date stamp thingi.. gets back the data aswell...

koolio... im mr.happy now
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846094
    2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??77
    3. Xbox One X - (News, updates, etc)3381
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213601

See more discussions