Restriction on the resale of PS4 games?

Found 15th Jun 2015
Someone who deals with Amazon has just told me that there will be new restrictions on the resale of PS4 games (like the Final Fantasy remake) - sort of like a barcode on the back - so that reselling them on ebay will now be a lot more difficult.

Can anyone confirm/refute this please?
Community Updates
22 Comments
I don't even know how that could possibly work. It doesn't make sense.
sennasnit

I don't even know how that could possibly work. It doesn't make sense.

I'm sceptical as well, but he seemed pretty sure about it. It could be a brand new thing they're doing but I can't find any mention of it.
This is the closest thing I found:
pushsquare.com/new…ine
Sounds doubtful but If it were to be true then it will be down to Sony to announce it at E3, the same place where they originally announced there would be no restrictions on the sale of pre-owned games.
copperspock

I'm sceptical as well, but he seemed pretty sure about it. It could be a … I'm sceptical as well, but he seemed pretty sure about it. It could be a brand new thing they're doing but I can't find any mention of it.This is the closest thing I found:http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/05/you_wont_be_able_to_re-sell_your_ps4_copy_of_the_elder_scrolls_online

Same for both consoles technobuffalo.com/201…ed/

I wouldn't be surprised if some publishers re-introduce the online pass. It was only abandoned when the XB1 was announced because of it's restrictive DRM.
Whatever happens, you'll still be able to sell your games.
This sounds like a flare-up of the controversy after Sony updated their terms of service 2 years ago and people started to worry. There were loads of rumours going around that games would not be able to be resold but Sony issued a press release advising that this was not the case (eurogamer.net/art…ine)
I'm not sure if it's a Sony or Amazon thing but I'll keep an eye out for any announcements from it yeah. It does seem a bit nuts, especially since they made such a point of there being no restrictions in the first place. The fella could well have been vocalising out of his rear end.
sennasnit

Same for both consoles … Same for both consoles http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/05/14/elder-scrolls-online-on-ps4-and-xbo-requires-cd-key-rental-and-resale-hindered/I wouldn't be surprised if some publishers re-introduce the online pass. It was only abandoned when the XB1 was announced because of it's restrictive DRM. Whatever happens, you'll still be able to sell your games.

That story was updated:
videogamer.com/ps4…tml
I just don't think there's any truth in it. As not everyone has a camera, what use would a barcode be? Not everyone would be able to scan it to register it to their PS4. Sounds wrong to me.
copperspock

That story was … That story was updated:http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_elder_scrolls_online/news/update_elder_scrolls_online_doesnt_require_a_cd_key_on_ps4_and_xbox_one_bethesda_clarifies.html

Yes, I think they backtracked on that. Your original link was from a playstation website so there was no mention of XB1. They've had a tough time with Elder Scrolls Online, it originally had a subscription too.
sennasnit

Yes, I think they backtracked on that. Your original link was from a … Yes, I think they backtracked on that. Your original link was from a playstation website so there was no mention of XB1. They've had a tough time with Elder Scrolls Online, it originally had a subscription too.

It did? Wow that's some turnaround oO!
I would say it's a fake claim.

Why would sony stop resale of titles when we all saw what happened to Microsoft when they wanted drm.

Sony aren't that stupid to ruin their sales. And it would've been mentioned by someone at Sony, not someone who sells on Amazon.

I'll wait for more information. But got a feeling it's a false claim.
shasnir

Sounds doubtful but If it were to be true then it will be down to Sony to … Sounds doubtful but If it were to be true then it will be down to Sony to announce it at E3, the same place where they originally announced there would be no restrictions on the sale of pre-owned games.

kos1c

I would say it's a fake claim. Why would sony stop resale of titles when … I would say it's a fake claim. Why would sony stop resale of titles when we all saw what happened to Microsoft when they wanted drm. Sony aren't that stupid to ruin their sales. And it would've been mentioned by someone at Sony, not someone who sells on Amazon. I'll wait for more information. But got a feeling it's a false claim.

I'm hoping your right. Well E3 has been and gone (and what an E3!) so it's looking like he was talking out of his ****.
With Xbox one announcing backwards compatibility I'm sure this would be unwise of Sony
ding

With Xbox one announcing backwards compatibility I'm sure this would be … With Xbox one announcing backwards compatibility I'm sure this would be unwise of Sony

This has nothing to do with backwards compatibility.
sennasnit

This has nothing to do with backwards compatibility.

But it would make the ps4 even less of a popular choice
ding

But it would make the ps4 even less of a popular choice

If the rumour was true, it would cover both consoles anyway.
I'd be a bit worried if being able to play last gen games was the only thing going for a console.
sennasnit

If the rumour was true, it would cover both consoles anyway.I'd be a bit … If the rumour was true, it would cover both consoles anyway.I'd be a bit worried if being able to play last gen games was the only thing going for a console.

But it might be a deal breaker for parents or people with no loyalty to a particular console
ding

But it might be a deal breaker for parents or people with no loyalty to a … But it might be a deal breaker for parents or people with no loyalty to a particular console

Only if you already have a 360 and games, no one is going to buy an XB1 and buy 360 games for it.
You could play PS1 games on a PS2, I did that about 10 times and I certainly didn't buy any PS1 games to play on my PS2, not after two years of a new console oO
sennasnit

Only if you already have a 360 and games, no one is going to buy an XB1 … Only if you already have a 360 and games, no one is going to buy an XB1 and buy 360 games for it.You could play PS1 games on a PS2, I did that about 10 times and I certainly didn't buy any PS1 games to play on my PS2, not after two years of a new console oO

there are games i would like to play on my ps4 that was on last gen but tbh i have so many amazing games on ps4 i forgot the issue very fast lol.
something i will say though is some games will not be coming our retail disc,but retail codes.shenmue 3 will be another one that will not be on disc imo.

but blocking reselling i highly doubt it.
on the other hand i would like ot see the 2nd hand market have to pay roalties to the devs on resales.

game for example will have new game for £55 and preowned that they scammed someone for £20 they will have up for £45-47,i believe they should pay some kind of royalty(say 5-10% of the resale fee to the devs).

me buying a game and selling on is a personal sale,99% of time at a loss yet a game shop is doing it to make profit which should be chargable by devs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants