Expired

Restrictions on buying goods from US?

Found 31st Oct 2014
I'm trying to buy some shampoo on ebay from the US as they don't sell it over here but when I bid on the item the following message comes up:

"We are sorry but the item you selected may not be purchased due to Seller shipping restrictions, country specific import/export or other relevant restrictions"

The seller is willing to ship to the UK and has updated the item listing but we can't work out why it's restricted. Any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
it contains a chemical that is allowed in the usa but banned in the uk
here's the list
ec.europa.eu/con…rch
Edited by: "whatsThePoint" 31st Oct 2014
whatsThePoint

it contains a chemical that is allowed in the usa but banned in the … it contains a chemical that is allowed in the usa but banned in the ukhere's the list http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&annex_v2=II&search

How could they possibly check?

Is it just automatically restricted as a precaution?
nothing to do with chemicals, it's because it's a liquid and you're not allowed to import liquids into the UK from outside of the EU.
out of curiousity, what shampoo is it? i used to live in the US. pretty good at hunting down stuff here I used to get there if you tell me what brand it is.
It's L'Oreal advanced volume filler. I've had a look on google and can't seem to find it here

I've bought make up in liquid form from the US before. Have the rules recently changed?
Rhianne

It's L'Oreal advanced volume filler. I've had a look on google and can't … It's L'Oreal advanced volume filler. I've had a look on google and can't seem to find it here :(I've bought make up in liquid form from the US before. Have the rules recently changed?

Since 9/11 it's considered a hazardous material, and therefore anyone can only bring a tiny amount of liquid onto a plane. therefore, a large container of shampoo would exceed the volume limit. on planes to and from the US, liquids must also be kept in clear mini- containers. i'll see if i can find it for you.

Edited by: "espirit77" 31st Oct 2014
espirit77

Since 9/11 it's considered a hazardous material, and therefore anyone can … Since 9/11 it's considered a hazardous material, and therefore anyone can only bring a tiny amount of liquid onto a plane. therefore, a large container of shampoo would exceed the volume limit. on planes to and from the US, liquids must also be kept in clear mini- containers. i'll see if i can find it for you.

Those restrictions only apply to liquids carried by airline passengers in their hand luggage, they don't apply to liquids ordered online from the US and sent here, which is what the op is talking about.
Delbert Grady

Those restrictions only apply to liquids carried by airline passengers in … Those restrictions only apply to liquids carried by airline passengers in their hand luggage, they don't apply to liquids ordered online from the US and sent here, which is what the op is talking about.

wrong.
espirit77

wrong.

Really?
Q. Are liquids and gels permitted in my checked baggage?
A. Yes. The liquid/gel restrictions only apply to carry-on baggage. There is no limit to the size or amount of liquid items for checked baggage.
Delbert Grady

Really?Q. Are liquids and gels permitted in my checked baggage?A. Yes. … Really?Q. Are liquids and gels permitted in my checked baggage?A. Yes. The liquid/gel restrictions only apply to carry-on baggage. There is no limit to the size or amount of liquid items for checked baggage.

OK, try to order some shampoo from the US then - it's considered a hazordous material, or even if it isn't, it's banned.
missleading

This will be the same … This will be the same stuff:http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/hair-care/fibrology/shampoo.aspx

nice one
It's L'Oreal advanced volume filler. I've had a look on google and can't seem to find it here

I've bought make up in liquid form from the US before. Have the rules recently changed?
Thanks everyone. I'll try the UK version, probably all the same stuff really!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants