Retailer House of Fraser says it is aiming to cut around 6,000 jobs and more than half its stores under a plan to save the chain

SuperEd 16
Found 7th Jun
Update

Another ton of job losses will update when stores/closure dates are announced

Department store group House of Fraser has been given approval by creditors to close 31 stores which will result in up to 6,000 job losses

''The department store chain will undertake the closures through a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), which will also allow it to secure rent reductions on its remaining shops.

Closures will affect up to 2,000 House of Fraser staff and a further 4,000 across brands and concessions.''

news.sky.com/sto…309 (https://news.sky.com/story/house-of-fraser-to-close-31-stores-with-6000-job-losses-11413309)
------

Another blow for the High Street HOF looking to cut around 5000-6000 jobs and to close half it's stores

''House of Fraser planned to close 31 of its 59 stores across the UK and Ireland by early 2019 and relocate its main offices to save cash.''

''It said those changes would affect 2,000 of the 5,000 people it employs directly and 4,000 brand and concession partner staff who had already been informed''

No list of stores as of yet, when they're annouced i'll update

Source news.sky.com/sto…143
Community Updates
Misc
16 Comments
The high street of the future is going to look very different to what we have known.
List of stores below. Also reports that staff were not told before the list went out. My local is affected and staff there found out from BBC news!

Altrincham, Aylesbury, Birkenhead, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Camberley, Cardiff, Carlisle, Chichester, Cirencester, Cwmbran, Darlington, Doncaster, Edinburgh Frasers, Epsom, Grimsby, High Wycombe, Hull, Leamington Spa, Lincoln, London Oxford Street, London King Willam Street, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Skipton, Swindon, Telford, Wolverhampton and Worcester.
Im loving these changes, shame about the job losses though. Lets hope local councils allow affordable, protected homes on these former sites (where possible)!
Edited by: "groenleader" 7th Jun
groenleader17 m ago

Im loving these changes, shame about the job losses though. Lets hope …Im loving these changes, shame about the job losses though. Lets hope local councils allow affordable, protected homes on these former sites (where possible)!

Have seen 3 former commercial premises being converted to residential recently. So its slowly happening, but still so many empty shops in the centre.

Not sure of the status though and if they are affordable or not.
What is most shocking is Oxford Street if u can’t survive there your in trouble!
ASongOfFireAndIce27 m ago

What is most shocking is Oxford Street if u can’t survive there your in t …What is most shocking is Oxford Street if u can’t survive there your in trouble!

Perhaps, out of the three locations in London, the branch in Victoria is either the busiest, or has cheaper trading costs.
ASongOfFireAndIce1 h, 29 m ago

What is most shocking is Oxford Street if u can’t survive there your in t …What is most shocking is Oxford Street if u can’t survive there your in trouble!

HoF deal to stay a float is to reduce costs, mostly in rent and that one has the biggest rent, but not enough profit to off set it.
DKLS1 h, 38 m ago

Have seen 3 former commercial premises being converted to residential …Have seen 3 former commercial premises being converted to residential recently. So its slowly happening, but still so many empty shops in the centre.Not sure of the status though and if they are affordable or not.

That's good, but all the homes that are affordable should also have in the deeds, property to be let for 250 years in the deeds so they are not then used for profit by owners later. It will also reduce demand as only people who want to live there will buy them and thus help to control prices.
That is terrible news will make a big 'hole' in the high street here
have two relatives who used to work there.
DKLS5 h, 22 m ago

The high street of the future is going to look very different to what we …The high street of the future is going to look very different to what we have known.

Truism of the day
DKLS7 h, 24 m ago

The high street of the future is going to look very different to what we …The high street of the future is going to look very different to what we have known.

Is this a threat or a promise to the pedestrians?
Cr0m2 h, 15 m ago

Truism of the day

I think the only genuine and sincere truism is, "the commenter doesn't know".
CrashOverride22 h, 46 m ago

List of stores below. Also reports that staff were not told before the …List of stores below. Also reports that staff were not told before the list went out. My local is affected and staff there found out from BBC news!Altrincham, Aylesbury, Birkenhead, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Camberley, Cardiff, Carlisle, Chichester, Cirencester, Cwmbran, Darlington, Doncaster, Edinburgh Frasers, Epsom, Grimsby, High Wycombe, Hull, Leamington Spa, Lincoln, London Oxford Street, London King Willam Street, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Skipton, Swindon, Telford, Wolverhampton and Worcester.

That's practically in all big cities
fanpages7th Jun

Perhaps, out of the three locations in London, the branch in Victoria is …Perhaps, out of the three locations in London, the branch in Victoria is either the busiest, or has cheaper trading costs.

The Victoria branch hasn't been very busy when I have been in there before - but I imagine the rent is significantly less than that for the Oxford Street branch.
ASongOfFireAndIce7th Jun

fanpages7th Jun

Perhaps, out of the three locations in London, the branch in Victoria is …Perhaps, out of the three locations in London, the branch in Victoria is either the busiest, or has cheaper trading costs.

Syx1 h, 46 m ago

The Victoria branch hasn't been very busy when I have been in there before …The Victoria branch hasn't been very busy when I have been in there before - but I imagine the rent is significantly less than that for the Oxford Street branch.

That may well be true but without knowing the footfall at each of the other stores in London you cannot rely on one (or a few) isolated incidents at a single store as a useful statistic.
fanpages19 h, 8 m ago

That may well be true but without knowing the footfall at each of the …That may well be true but without knowing the footfall at each of the other stores in London you cannot rely on one (or a few) isolated incidents at a single store as a useful statistic.

Well I mean you're absolutely correct in terms of sample size but there must be a reason why the Oxford Street branch was closed over Victoria Street...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants