Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Retailers pulling promtions

Posted 21st Mar
Just to let you good people know all supermarket retailers are pulling promotions. This is to stop panic buying and has nothing to do with profiteering . Great that they are opening for elderly/NHS etc but they will have to pay full price.
Community Updates
21 Comments
They could split the difference as will still get them sold.
Firstly ALL supermarkets are not pulling promotions. Some have reduced the planned promotional activity for this period. Secondly, Supply Chain is normally kept very lean with little margins, do you honestly think with the sudden spike this has been kept lean? Do you think multiplying your workforce and fixed assets is something that can be absorbed? Thirdly, have you any idea one bit how many hours people have been working within supply chain to try and keep this period of sustained dramatic volume increases while people panic buy? Posts like this really do not help one bit.
The 13 trailers loads of Daz that went out for Promo starting Monday certainly tell a different story.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 21st Mar
Good, Hopefully people will buy what they need. Having offers certainly promotes panic buying to some degree.
For those that don’t know supermarkets don’t pay for the majority of their offers, all of them are paid for by suppliers. This is a unique time, suppliers are working around the clock to fill the stores as well as the stores themselves. Definitely no point in having any offers at the moment, only going to make panic buying happen more and make extra demand where it’s not needed. The retailers say that a billion pounds worth of food has been stock piled already.
Can't believe supermarket staff are not wearing masks for protection. Takes 5 to 10 mins to train them. They are in contact with thousands of customers every day and impossible to social distance. Was in Asda today and staff were chatting to customers about 50cm apart.

This would never happen in Hong Kong.
Speculator21/03/2020 18:18

Can't believe supermarket staff are not wearing masks for protection. …Can't believe supermarket staff are not wearing masks for protection. Takes 5 to 10 mins to train them. They are in contact with thousands of customers every day and impossible to social distance. Was in Asda today and staff were chatting to customers about 50cm apart. This would never happen in Hong Kong.

maybe because masks have been shown to be pretty much useless as a prevention mechanism??
OllieSt21/03/2020 15:05

I do hope NHS staff and the elderly are not being offered simultaneous …I do hope NHS staff and the elderly are not being offered simultaneous time slotsEDITHow clueless can it get?Sainsbury's 8-9am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday reserved for NHS and social care workers alongside elderly and vulnerable customers

Madness and incompetent managers, a 100% no from me on mixing NHS/social workers with elderly and vulnerables in the same shopping slots! I may write to them.

Information: Doctors and nurses account for more than 8% of Italy's coronavirus cases telegraph.co.uk/glo…ys/
Edited by: "splender" 21st Mar
adamspencer9521/03/2020 18:25

maybe because masks have been shown to be pretty much useless as a …maybe because masks have been shown to be pretty much useless as a prevention mechanism??

You've been told that by western experts.

Asian experts and the Hong Kong government have the complete opposite view.

time.com/579…us/

40156464-SjgNV.jpg
bbc.co.uk/new…379

Hong Kong population 7.5million. Since January, they've had 4 deaths and they have a very large elderly population and it's very densely populated in Hong kong. (Especially Kowloon and Hong Kong Island but less so in the New Terrotorries)

Uk Population 66 million. 233 deaths in less than a month.
Edited by: "Speculator" 21st Mar
Speculator21/03/2020 18:39

You've been told that by western experts. Asian experts and the Hong Kong …You've been told that by western experts. Asian experts and the Hong Kong government have the complete opposite view.https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/[Image] https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51970379Hong Kong population 7.5million. Since January, they've had 4 deaths and they have a very large elderly population and it's very densely populated in Hong kong. (Especially Kowloon and Hong Kong Island but less so in the New Terrotorries)Uk Population 66 million. 233 deaths in less than a month.

or how about the world experts the WHO that say masks offer minimum preventative protection...

who.int/eme…sks
"You must wear a mask whenever you are in a room with a person with the virus."

If the mask doesn't protect you, why should you wear it when treating an infected patient?

adamspencer9521/03/2020 19:13

or how about the world experts the WHO that say masks offer minimum …or how about the world experts the WHO that say masks offer minimum preventative protection...https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Speculator21/03/2020 19:26

"You must wear a mask whenever you are in a room with a person with the …"You must wear a mask whenever you are in a room with a person with the virus."If the mask doesn't protect you, why should you wear it when treating an infected patient?[Video]

because if you have to be next to an infected person, it's better than nothing.

however, it's not particularly effective as they only work if used, put on and taken off properly, not touched and used with hand washing. then there are other entries for the virus to enter the body so doesn't have any effect on those transmission cases.

theguardian.com/wor…ted
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 21st Mar
adamspencer9521/03/2020 19:36

because if you have to be next to an infected person, it's better than …because if you have to be next to an infected person, it's better than nothing.however, it's not particularly effective as they only work if used, put on and taken off properly, not touched and used with hand washing. then there are other entries for the virus to enter the body so doesn't have any effect on those transmission cases.https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/can-face-mask-protect-me-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted

Problem is you don't know who is infected. You can be infected without showing any sypmtons.

I will probably wear a mask on my next shopping trip like in Bens video. A mask is better than nothing and I am used to wearing a mask in Hong Kong. I beginning to see more and more people wearing masks in Asda.
Speculator21/03/2020 19:45

Problem is you don't know who is infected. You can be infected without …Problem is you don't know who is infected. You can be infected without showing any sypmtons.I will probably wear a mask on my next shopping trip like in Bens video. A mask is better than nothing and I am used to wearing a mask in Hong Kong. I beginning to see more and more people wearing masks in Asda.

each to their own

but back to your original point, making all retail staff start wearing them is unnecessary based on the links above.
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 21st Mar
Bus drivers should also wear masks.

Only 4 deaths in Hong Kong since Jan. What are they doing that the UK are not?

scmp.com/new…cts

scmp.com/new…ust
Speculator21/03/2020 19:51

Bus drivers should also wear masks.Only 4 deaths in Hong Kong since Jan. …Bus drivers should also wear masks.Only 4 deaths in Hong Kong since Jan. What are they doing that the UK are not?https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3047913/japanese-bus-driver-who-had-never-been-wuhan-contractshttps://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3051741/government-give-hong-kong-bus-operators-masks-supply-must

total and strictly enforced lockdown from the earliest possible opportunity and rigorous health screening of new arrivals/suspected cases
adamspencer9521/03/2020 18:25

maybe because masks have been shown to be pretty much useless as a …maybe because masks have been shown to be pretty much useless as a prevention mechanism??

Better than nothing and it has some protection otherwise nurses would not wear them.
splender21/03/2020 18:26

Madness and incompetent managers, a 100% no from me on mixing NHS/social …Madness and incompetent managers, a 100% no from me on mixing NHS/social workers with elderly and vulnerables in the same shopping slots! I may write to them.Information: Doctors and nurses account for more than 8% of Italy's coronavirus cases https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/fear-have-almost-lost-control-doctors-nurses-account-8-italys/

It seems as if Sainsbury's have re-evaluated their original proposition
OllieSt22/03/2020 07:24

It seems as if Sainsbury's have re-evaluated their original proposition

I heard LBC Radio at midnight that the managers with Covid-19 roles have realised their folly and ignorance. How on earth could they be so ignorant . Sainsbury should conduct an internal inquiry and sack these managers as they lack critical thinking and analytical skills as a team in joining the two or three of the well known dots: 1/ NHS staff is exposed to high risk of infection + 2/ doctors and nurses were infected at around 10% elsewhere in the world + 2/ Widespread news in UK about lack of protective equipment and usage of face masks for far longer than recommended in specification.

If I remember right, the first hour is now for NHS and care workers only. Then next hour is for the elderly and vulnerables.

Sainsbury's web site is yet to be updated. (As I type)
adamspencer9521/03/2020 19:49

each to their ownbut back to your original point, making all retail staff …each to their ownbut back to your original point, making all retail staff start wearing them is unnecessary based on the links above.

According to Nicola Sturgeon, do not go into a supermarket if its crowded and keep a 2m distance from people when doing your shopping.

That's impossible.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants