Expired

Retaining/Reassigning Private Number Plates - Advice Please!

66 replies
Found 3rd Jan 2009
I have private plates on my little Punto, which I intend to sell shortly. I intend to buy a new (read: used) car to put them on. I am aware there is an £80 transfer fee to move the reg to the new car, but this may be difficult as I intend to part exchange my Punto for the new car, and the chances are the dealer will just shove the Punto straight into an auction, it's not worth him tidying it up to sell it. He's not going to want much agro with it/me.

I am aware I can retain the private plates for a year for £105, which would be fine, but I am unclear as to whether or not I have to pay AGAIN to assign the retained plates to the new car. Has anyone done this before? Is there a cheaper way? It looks like I'll have to pay through the nose TWICE to keep my plates. Might I be better off buying the new car and then trying to sell the old one later on, after I've transferred the plates myself - which might be easier as I'll technically own both cars. (But I lost the chance to p/x)

I've read I must not sell the old car with my plates on, as then I have no right to them.

Don't really want to lose them, as they were a present!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
66 Comments

You will have to put your registration on retention which costs £80 + £25 admin fee. This can be completed by local DVLA offices and can take a few days. Once you recieve the certificate of retention, you can then assign to a car without further costs, however you must do this within 12 mths, or pay £25 to extend. more info]http//ww…575

Correct...the plates legally belong to the car and not you the individual...however on this occasion you must put them on retention for that £100+ fee and that fee includes the assignment to another vehicle within the year...otherwise its about 25pounds or a bit more to renew the retention for another year.

Its probably easier to try and buy your new car first, then you'll just have to pay the £80 transfer fee to transfer it DIRECTLY from one car to another. Then sell the old car.

I've always found it easier & cheaper to do it that way, rather than paying the £105 to have it on retention for 12months where chances are, your new car will be coming in a few weeks - so you would have technically wasted that extra £25.

I've had my private plate now for 7 years, changed my car about 11 times - spending over £900 in transfer fees alone! The government really make a few bob from private registration owners!!!

Ask your dealer to sort it out for you, If their worth their salt they'll help you put the new plates on & evreything :thinking:

I'd just pay the £105 and then you can transfer at your leisure.

There are no other fees to pay.

i always get the dealer to do mine....in the time it takes to valet service etc your new car properly and get it taxed and insured, the new car with its shiny new plates is ready...then ur old car is returned to its original plate. The longest wait i have ever had is 10 days but that included a bank holiday weekend

Beninlincs;7408268

i always get the dealer to do mine....in the time it takes to valet … i always get the dealer to do mine....in the time it takes to valet service etc your new car properly and get it taxed and insured, the new car with its shiny new plates is ready...then ur old car is returned to its original plate. The longest wait i have ever had is 10 days but that included a bank holiday weekend

Have you transferred your plate recently??? My last transfer took almost 3 weeks (the paperwork/logbooks took and extra 4weeks on top of that!) and that was 2mths ago! I was thinking to change my car again in he next few months, but not sure if I can bear that whole 'waiting' process again, lol :thinking: !

Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info, most helpful. Will get round to repping later. Just to confirm though, the £100+ retention fee definitely includes the reassignment within the year?

Penny Saver;7408349

Thanks to all for the info, most helpful. Will get round to repping … Thanks to all for the info, most helpful. Will get round to repping later. Just to confirm though, the £100+ retention fee definitely includes the reassignment within the year?

Yes, it definately does! You'll receive a certificate from the DVLA with the expiry date on it... Be sure to remember this date though as you could lose the plate if its not assigned or renewed by the end of the 12mth period...:oops:

Original Poster

Pr3cious18;7408391

Yes, it definately does! You'll receive a certificate from the DVLA with … Yes, it definately does! You'll receive a certificate from the DVLA with the expiry date on it... Be sure to remember this date though as you could lose the plate if its not assigned or renewed by the end of the 12mth period...:oops:

Smashing, then the extra £25 is worth paying to have the option of p/x or private sale later on. Ta muchly. Just a shame it takes so bloody long to do. I went to the offices before (when I first got the plates) to do it in person, but it took so long - and I distinctly remember there were no loos! Shall post everything off this time, and put my faith in Royal Mail.

Banned

Your dealer should transfer everythin for you

It's not the ACTUAL plate you transfer just the registration number so giving your pinto in with the plates on is fine

If you retain it there are no more fees to pay

Banned

And when I reassigned my number the DVLA in Glasgow did it there and then

Pr3cious18;7408391

Yes, it definately does! You'll receive a certificate from the DVLA with … Yes, it definately does! You'll receive a certificate from the DVLA with the expiry date on it... Be sure to remember this date though as you could lose the plate if its not assigned or renewed by the end of the 12mth period...:oops:

DVLA send a reminder in good time.

DVLA now quote 2 weeks to change the plates over and 4 weeks to send out the logbook, they dont do it there and then nowadays, jsut received my logbook today ad did the plate transfer beginning of december...

Banned

amansk;7419926

DVLA now quote 2 weeks to change the plates over and 4 weeks to send out … DVLA now quote 2 weeks to change the plates over and 4 weeks to send out the logbook, they dont do it there and then nowadays, jsut received my logbook today ad did the plate transfer beginning of december...

thats for a transfer, not a re-assignation of the number

Can I part ex my private number plate for another.? As I have been unable to sell the plate but require another due to circumstance changes? Guidance would be appreciated thanks Lindsay

can somone help me ?????? can you put your number plate from retention to another car using your green part of the log book ?

can I sell my car with private plates if I don't want them anymore or do I have to go through the process and change back to the original one?

Mrsyan

can I sell my car with private plates if I don't want them anymore or do … can I sell my car with private plates if I don't want them anymore or do I have to go through the process and change back to the original one?

You can sell the car with the private plates on, as long as the buyer is happy with that.

Help plz I wanna sell my car but I wanna keep my private plate so I need to put it on Retention
And where can I get another plate number to put on my car to sell it ???

Help plz I wanna sell my car but I wanna keep my private plate so I need to put it on Retention
And where can I get another plate number to put on my car to sell it ???

wexboy

Help plz I wanna sell my car but I wanna keep my private plate so I need … Help plz I wanna sell my car but I wanna keep my private plate so I need to put it on Retention And where can I get another plate number to put on my car to sell it ???

Just put it on retention, DVLA will issue a new (old ) number for it.

Banned

Then go to Halfrauds with the new V5 with the normal reg on it and buy new plates

It's a bit annoying that first you buy a plate and then you have to pay to keep that plate. It's a bit unfair having to fork out for a plate and then paying another £105 to keep it for a year!

New pricing structure came into force from March 2015. To extended a certificate is now free and this now lasts for 10yrs. So no more ongoing costs for a certificate of entitlement.
Adding a nominee name is now also free....
DVLA have gone soft!!

Hi there i need to put my plate on retention do i need to send my log book off with the form and any other paperwork.

i have download form is it just second to and for this is all new to me..

Please HELP..
Kelly

You can do it online, Salterbird.

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

Just read what you need further down the page and then click "Start Now".

Just make sure your current address is on your V5 that you have at the moment.
Edited by: "JmeH" 12th Aug 2015

Hi is there any chance i could sell my car and retain my number plate at the same time?

I have a buyer interested to buy my car (later today) and I still have not transferred my plate?

Thanks alot

ESSOO

Hi is there any chance i could sell my car and retain my number plate at … Hi is there any chance i could sell my car and retain my number plate at the same time?I have a buyer interested to buy my car (later today) and I still have not transferred my plate?Thanks alot

dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/201…on/

Posted 5 years, 7 months ago

This thread should have been left in the scrap yard

dtovey89

Posted 5 years, 7 months agoThis thread should have been left in the … Posted 5 years, 7 months agoThis thread should have been left in the scrap yard

I much prefer my recent thread about two old bangers!

Mark2111

I much prefer my recent thread about two old bangers!

Vile

Mark2111

https://dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/09/it-now-costs-less-to-retain-your-personalised-registration/

Thanks for posting this info X) I need to get mine transfered from the car i sold to my son and i wasn't sure how to go about it oO When do you have to inform your car insurance company about this change

but how quick is the process guys! If I complete online now! Can I sell my car today???

Thanks

ESSOO

but how quick is the process guys! If I complete online now! Can I sell … but how quick is the process guys! If I complete online now! Can I sell my car today???Thanks

Why not call the DVLA?

DVLA is having a strike and they will not answer till next week

If you retain on line you will get a new log book with the old reg within 7 days - you can then sell the car.
Do not sell the car with the private reg on as you run the risk of losing the plate......

Thank you so much Sir
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710976
    2. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1318
    3. Heads up - Nintendo Switch Neon Console and Get Lego City Undercover and Ra…45
    4. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…22

See more discussions