Retirement cruise

Posted 6th Oct
Hi ... I'm retiring soon and as a treat I would like to do a 2 to 3 week cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations of locations and the best companies . Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
GLENHESKETH06/10/2019 09:13

Thank you for the help

One further thing always book at least part of it on the credit card (even if only the deposit) as it’ll allow you to claim your money back in the event the supplier goes bust under section 75. Only applies to credit cards. With Thomas cook recently going bust you can’t be too careful. When taking our travel insurance make sure you get one that covers cruises as not all standard policies cover this.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Oct
22 Comments
If you’ve never done cruising before then try some of the cheaper ones such as TUI as they are pretty much all inclusive and easier to plan. If your unsure about sea legs then stick with cruises in the med. if your happy to spend many days on the boat in between stops then Australia, Caribbean, America or Africa etc. Note the boats will move more up and down so it’s important and in Caribbean and Africa in particular beware when going ashore of thieves it’s absolutely rife with crime.

If you have a large amount of money then Fred Olson or royal Caribbean.
cmdr_elito06/10/2019 09:09

If you’ve never done cruising before then try some of the cheaper ones s …If you’ve never done cruising before then try some of the cheaper ones such as TUI as they are pretty much all inclusive and easier to plan. If your unsure about sea legs then stick with cruises in the med. if your happy to spend many days on the boat in between stops then Australia, Caribbean, America or Africa etc. Note the boats will move more up and down so it’s important and in Caribbean and Africa in particular beware when going ashore of thieves it’s absolutely rife with crime.If you have a large amount of money then Fred Olson or royal Caribbean.

Thank you for the help
GLENHESKETH06/10/2019 09:13

Thank you for the help

One further thing always book at least part of it on the credit card (even if only the deposit) as it’ll allow you to claim your money back in the event the supplier goes bust under section 75. Only applies to credit cards. With Thomas cook recently going bust you can’t be too careful. When taking our travel insurance make sure you get one that covers cruises as not all standard policies cover this.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Oct
Get to a high street travel agent and take loads of cruise brochures, go home, get your feet up and plan your dream holiday! Or there is a cruise channel on sky.
cmdr_elito06/10/2019 09:09

If you’ve never done cruising before then try some of the cheaper ones s …If you’ve never done cruising before then try some of the cheaper ones such as TUI as they are pretty much all inclusive and easier to plan. If your unsure about sea legs then stick with cruises in the med. if your happy to spend many days on the boat in between stops then Australia, Caribbean, America or Africa etc. Note the boats will move more up and down so it’s important and in Caribbean and Africa in particular beware when going ashore of thieves it’s absolutely rife with crime.If you have a large amount of money then Fred Olson or royal Caribbean.

The only thing is that trying TUI first might be enough to put you off cruises for good. Value for money is ok with TUI but I'd recommend a middle of the road cruise line such as Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. They aren't that much more expensive and offer a far better experience.
As for staying on the boat for days on end - The Caribbean islands are all pretty close together and you can do cruises with virtually daily stops and the same applies to the East Coast of America.

Asian cruises offer good value for money but it's a 15-20 hour trek to get there. European cruises are very expensive. I'd recommend a Caribbean cruise. They're reasonably cheap and often include free drinks packages, and the flight is only about 8-9 hours and you can virtually guarantee good weather. I like to do a Caribbean cruise and tag on a week in Orlando or a few days seeing Florida Keys and Miami.
Edited by: "deeky" 6th Oct
Depends where you want to go and what you want to see, probably the first thing to think.
A tip once a cruise starts;

Go to the Reception desk immediately you board and instruct them that tips are not to be added automatically to your bill. Some (Princess), demand you sign a form. Do not get drawn into a discussion. Simply instruct them to stop. Do it on day one as they will not back date it.

If cruise lines wont pay a fair wage then the industry has to change and refusing to tip will force them to change.
ccnp06/10/2019 09:44

A tip once a cruise starts;Go to the Reception desk immediately you board …A tip once a cruise starts;Go to the Reception desk immediately you board and instruct them that tips are not to be added automatically to your bill. Some (Princess), demand you sign a form. Do not get drawn into a discussion. Simply instruct them to stop. Do it on day one as they will not back date it.If cruise lines wont pay a fair wage then the industry has to change and refusing to tip will force them to change.

Not to mention saving you a couple of hundred quid, eh?

It's not the workers fault the employers don't pay a decent wage and you withholding tips will only compound the issue for the worker. If you refuse to tip you're in a VERY small minority.

Edit: I would agree with telling them not to automatically add tips but only if you are going to tip them personally at the end of your cruise.
deeky06/10/2019 09:35

The only thing is that trying TUI first might be enough to put you off …The only thing is that trying TUI first might be enough to put you off cruises for good. Value for money is ok with TUI but I'd recommend a middle of the road cruise line such as Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. They aren't that much more expensive and offer a far better experience. As for staying on the boat for days on end - The Caribbean islands are all pretty close together and you can do cruises with virtually daily stops and the same applies to the East Coast of America.Asian cruises offer good value for money but it's a 15-20 hour trek to get there. European cruises are very expensive. I'd recommend a Caribbean cruise. They're reasonably cheap and often include free drinks packages, and the flight is only about 8-9 hours and you can virtually guarantee good weather. I like to do a Caribbean cruise and tag on a week in Orlando or a few days seeing Florida Keys and Miami.

In terms of booking they aren’t much more expensive but you then pay through the nose in tips and for everything on the boat, this would easily add 1-2k on a 2-3 week trip to the price. Royal and celebrity have newer ships but you end up paying for that. It’s down to choice really. If you want to get dressed up every night in sweltering heat go for the mid/higher end cruises, if you want more informal (except captains dinner night) then TUI will suit you.
cmdr_elito06/10/2019 10:28

In terms of booking they aren’t much more expensive but you then pay t …In terms of booking they aren’t much more expensive but you then pay through the nose in tips and for everything on the boat, this would easily add 1-2k on a 2-3 week trip to the price. Royal and celebrity have newer ships but you end up paying for that. It’s down to choice really. If you want to get dressed up every night in sweltering heat go for the mid/higher end cruises, if you want more informal (except captains dinner night) then TUI will suit you.

The dressing up thing is old hat for RC/Celebrity. They do have formal nights where you can get dressed up to the nines if you like (it's the highlight of the cruise for some) but there's absolutely no requirement to get dressed up these days. It may still be enforced on high end cruises but not these.

I've been on 7 cruises between RC and Celebrity and have had free drinks packages on 6 out of the 7. You just have to keep your eye out for special offers.
deeky06/10/2019 10:32

The dressing up thing is old hat for RC/Celebrity. They do have formal …The dressing up thing is old hat for RC/Celebrity. They do have formal nights where you can get dressed up to the nines if you like (it's the highlight of the cruise for some) but there's absolutely no requirement to get dressed up these days. It may still be enforced on high end cruises but not these.I've been on 7 cruises between RC and Celebrity and have had free drinks packages on 6 out of the 7. You just have to keep your eye out for special offers.

Clearly it’s changed in the last few years, likely due to the rise in popularity of TUI cruises and some of the other budget operators eating away at their market share.
cmdr_elito06/10/2019 10:46

Clearly it’s changed in the last few years, likely due to the rise in p …Clearly it’s changed in the last few years, likely due to the rise in popularity of TUI cruises and some of the other budget operators eating away at their market share.

Yep, quite possibly. I keep threatening to try a TUI cruise myself, as there's no doubt they are grat value for money but I'm worried I'd be disappointed.
deeky06/10/2019 10:52

Yep, quite possibly. I keep threatening to try a TUI cruise myself, as …Yep, quite possibly. I keep threatening to try a TUI cruise myself, as there's no doubt they are grat value for money but I'm worried I'd be disappointed.

If you have been on the mid/high range cruises then go on one of their larger ships they are newer and won’t be far off the standard of the more expensive ones.
Choose your ports carefully. Lets take Dubrovnik. 1 ship. Minor crowding. 2 ships = crowds. 3 or 4 ships = shoulder to shoulder walking in army rank and file formation. You can see which ships are in which ports on a daily basis here crew-center.com/cru…020

Choosing ports also matters for excursions. Go to Rome for romance. Yeah. But you dock in the concrete jungle of Civitavechia and have to take the cruise ship coach at silly money. We always exit the ship, walk to the end of a line of taxis and start talking/negotiating a day out. Works every time. Sure, some people will tell you of the risks of missing the ship but its hasn't happened to us in over a dozen cruises. We get off the boat early and are usually ready to go back by mid afternoon and the boats usually leave around 5 or 6.

If you really like a city or location, you might want to contemplate using a private guide. Can be £100 for the day or can be £300. But it is likely to be worth it as it includes transport so the guide cost is a smaller part of the total and the value is enormous.

Have a wonderful time. It will be a great memory
ccnp06/10/2019 11:53

Choose your ports carefully. Lets take Dubrovnik. 1 ship. Minor …Choose your ports carefully. Lets take Dubrovnik. 1 ship. Minor crowding. 2 ships = crowds. 3 or 4 ships = shoulder to shoulder walking in army rank and file formation. You can see which ships are in which ports on a daily basis here http://crew-center.com/cruise-ships-ports-schedules-2020Choosing ports also matters for excursions. Go to Rome for romance. Yeah. But you dock in the concrete jungle of Civitavechia and have to take the cruise ship coach at silly money. We always exit the ship, walk to the end of a line of taxis and start talking/negotiating a day out. Works every time. Sure, some people will tell you of the risks of missing the ship but its hasn't happened to us in over a dozen cruises. We get off the boat early and are usually ready to go back by mid afternoon and the boats usually leave around 5 or 6.If you really like a city or location, you might want to contemplate using a private guide. Can be £100 for the day or can be £300. But it is likely to be worth it as it includes transport so the guide cost is a smaller part of the total and the value is enormous.Have a wonderful time. It will be a great memory

Thank you so much
MSC are really good, went from Venice into Greece and Montenegro before returning
We did a P&O cruise a few years ago round the Med. 10 nights, 5 stops and great fun.

While doing the day trips yourself saves cash. If you want to chill, consider doing the trips via the ship staff.
Decide on what passenger types you want. Most are either family or adult only. It will influence the entertainment available and also in how stuffy it might be.
We have been with several different cruise lines they are all much the same best cruise we went on was to China taking in japan,south korea,Vietnam,Singapore,hong Kong and Thailand first 5 days were in mainland China itself,also the Baltic taking in all of Northern Europe going to St Petersburg if you do go to st Petersburg then make sure you get a ship that stays there for about 3 days so much to see.
I have done a few cruises myself, albeit only with Royal Caribbean. My advice is to not book thru RC directly but use someone like vacations to go (google them). Tends to work out much cheaper. Also we normally book our own flights rather than get the tour operator to book as part of a package. It is much cheaper, but you need to make sure you plan to land the night before the cruise in case of any delays etc
Nothing to add about the cruises, but congratulations on your pending retirement, must be a great feeling.
Just come back today from an eight day cruise from Tilbury stopping in the Netherlands and Norway with CMV. It was our second one, the first only being for about three days. IMO try a short one first to see if you think you would actually like being stuck on a boat for any length of time. It also gives you a great opportunity to chat with other guest to get a good idea on different companies and value for money, as generally people a quite happy to have a chat. We use Boots insurance as they do a special one for travel with regards to cruising, as on day seven of ours someone needed air lifting off due to heart problems. I dread to think what that cost in the middle of the North Sea for that is but it would certainly add a new meaning for a trip of a lifetime!
richp06/10/2019 15:58

Nothing to add about the cruises, but congratulations on your pending …Nothing to add about the cruises, but congratulations on your pending retirement, must be a great feeling.

Thank you... 33 years in the job so looking forward to it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants