Retiring to Eire

Posted 16th Oct
So we are considering a move to Southern Ireland to spend the rest of our retirement days. We are just trying to think about everything that we need to consider and are going there on Saturday for a week to do some research.
ANY information or help or even just opinions/thoughts will be interesting for us to read. Anyone with any personal experience will be very useful!
Thanks in anticipation
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Hey, Irish man here - just FYI even though Eire is the proper name it isn’t used regularly. If you move here we just say Ireland (and we never say “South of Ireland” - the closest equivalent would be “Republic of Ireland”).

For better weather try the east side of the country. I live on the west coast myself (even though I’m from Dublin). You can’t beat the fresh Atlantic air

If you do decide to move, please accept your first welcome from me!!
13 Comments
Do you have irish citizenship?
What pension provision do you have - applies to anyone retiring outside the uk with currency risk and uk government policy re state pensions ageuk.org.uk/inf…nt/
The cost of living is significantly higher than in the UK , so you'll need a good pension.
Try not to get sick too often in Eire.
LINK
Not sure there is a HID site?
Been there many many times at all times of year including last week.

How much do you like rain and high prices?
mas9916/10/2019 14:13

Do you have irish citizenship?What pension provision do you have - applies …Do you have irish citizenship?What pension provision do you have - applies to anyone retiring outside the uk with currency risk and uk government policy re state pensions https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/work-learning/retirement/moving-abroad-in-retirement/

If the OP is a UK citizen then they can happily retire to Ireland under the CTA that has been in operation for nearly 100 years.

Although your pension comments are valid & worth emphasising.
Edited by: "IamMT" 16th Oct
A good continuos supply of Guinness
Drivers with UK licences are being reminded they must exchange it for an Irish licence to ensure they can continue to drive on Irish roads.Once you become resident.
Plus think of the costs for family/relatives that want to visit?
If you are bringing a car over don't forget the VRT prices. Road tax pricing below also. Car Insurance don't forget to get quotes for also. What area you looking around? (I'm N.Ireland but often across the border)

fexco.com/fex…and
ros.ie/evr…1s1

38681198-RB4p0.jpg

This site may help also if you go through each of the categories applicable to yourself, includes energy, TV/Internet etc etc.

irishlinks.co.uk/
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 16th Oct
Hey, Irish man here - just FYI even though Eire is the proper name it isn’t used regularly. If you move here we just say Ireland (and we never say “South of Ireland” - the closest equivalent would be “Republic of Ireland”).

For better weather try the east side of the country. I live on the west coast myself (even though I’m from Dublin). You can’t beat the fresh Atlantic air

If you do decide to move, please accept your first welcome from me!!
As others have commented, it's mental expensive in Ireland. Can't quite work it out as we spend a fair bit of time in Galway and it doesn't seem that everyone is earning a fortune.

House prices are OK though.
S_Aran16/10/2019 19:31

Hey, Irish man here - just FYI even though Eire is the proper name it …Hey, Irish man here - just FYI even though Eire is the proper name it isn’t used regularly. If you move here we just say Ireland (and we never say “South of Ireland” - the closest equivalent would be “Republic of Ireland”).For better weather try the east side of the country. I live on the west coast myself (even though I’m from Dublin). You can’t beat the fresh Atlantic air If you do decide to move, please accept your first welcome from me!!

Thanks for the information. And many thanks for the welcome. We are looking forward to our fact-finding expedition
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants