RetroPie emulation resolutions?

Found 28th Jun 2017
Hi. Currently I'm creating a library of SNES games via RetroPie running via a Raspberry Pi 3, however, games look both stretched and washed out. What if any is the optimal resolution dimensions to ensure games look as pixel perfect as possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

I think you'll need to go through the retropie setting, I had it happen with N64 and SNES, all fine now after selecting shaders or whatever it's called, it's in the retropie menu/configuration of some sort. No need to change resolutions in my 42"TV.

Try them all and see which one suits your nostalgic views. I had fun with it, some look great and others just plain silly.
Edited by: "Pacman786" 28th Jun 2017

Depends on what you're original source is and how far you want to take it. You can't get pixel perfect due to the fact the displays are completely different technology from a CRT.

Best option would be to select 4:3 ratio with bezels either side. Scanlines also give it a better look and then go through the filters, masks and shaders. Remember that NTSC and PAL games have different screen resolutions and clock speeds so I would opt for NTSC games unless it's a PAL developed title.
Edited by: "kester76" 28th Jun 2017

Original Poster

kester76

Depends on what you're original source is and how far you want to take … Depends on what you're original source is and how far you want to take it. You can't get pixel perfect due to the fact the displays are completely different technology from a CRT. Best option would be to select 4:3 ratio with bezels either side. Scanlines also give it a better look and then go through the filters, masks and shaders. Remember that NTSC and PAL games have different screen resolutions and clock speeds so I would opt for NTSC games unless it's a PAL developed title.

Agreed. I'm going with 4:3, always, stretched across the entirety of a wide-screen TV just looks wrong. Also I always (where possible) use NTSC games, PAL games generally always suffering in comparison.

I now need the optimal resolution to input for the most accurate and best representation for my SNES games. Any suggestions?

pazuzu17

Agreed. I'm going with 4:3, always, stretched across the entirety of a … Agreed. I'm going with 4:3, always, stretched across the entirety of a wide-screen TV just looks wrong. Also I always (where possible) use NTSC games, PAL games generally always suffering in comparison.I now need the optimal resolution to input for the most accurate and best representation for my SNES games. Any suggestions?

​Resolution should be the native display. I would go through the shaders to get the effect you want.

Have a look at crt-pi
retropie.org.uk/for…der

Original Poster

Don't mean to be a real pain, but I'm a noob, so, playing SNES games via RetroPie on a wide-screen TV but played in at a 4:3 aspect ratio...what should my resolution (horizontal and vertical) be?

pazuzu17

Don't mean to be a real pain, but I'm a noob, so, playing SNES games via … Don't mean to be a real pain, but I'm a noob, so, playing SNES games via RetroPie on a wide-screen TV but played in at a 4:3 aspect ratio...what should my resolution (horizontal and vertical) be?

Not sure what you mean but this link should help a little.
videogameperfection.com/for…es/

I guess it depends on the game but you might be looking at the problem wrong as some games were written for 4:3 others for 8:7.

I'd try 720x480

Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Original Poster

Sorry, just want to come back with a recap.

Reading (for example) a SNES games native resolution is 256x224, does that mean if I'm running games at the ratio 4:3 I simply do the math 256x4 =1024 and 224x3=672 and then input 1024x672 as my custom resolution?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions