Return cost to retailers

Found 12th Apr
Just wondering if a company offers free returns, delivery online how much overall does it cost the company for me to return the order?

By the time they pay for delivery and then pay for return cost, the cost of possessing the refund, man power to open the returned order etc. Must cost about £7-8 easy.

We must be paying for this in the long run!
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Yes it's a cost, just like every other business expense, obviously it's passed on to the customer. That's why Amazon were suspending people for too many returns.
shadey121 h, 39 m ago

Yes it's a cost, just like every other business expense, obviously it's …Yes it's a cost, just like every other business expense, obviously it's passed on to the customer. That's why Amazon were suspending people for too many returns.

My niece got blocked by Asos!
I personally think customers should have to pay for all returns. It opens up the system to massive abuse - people buy loads of stuff just to try it out etc. long term, genuine loyal customers do foot the bill for this.

I've worked in ecommerce and regularly had to ban customers for abusing the returns policy.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 12th Apr
ipswich7811 m ago

I personally think customers should have to pay for all returns. It opens …I personally think customers should have to pay for all returns. It opens up the system to massive abuse - people buy loads of stuff just to try it out etc. long term, genuine loyal customers do foot the bill for this.I've worked in ecommerce and regularly had to ban customers for abusing the returns policy.

But on the down side to making people pay for returns, i would be less likely to order if i was unsure wether i would like it or fit etc
SteMoss3 m ago

But on the down side to making people pay for returns, i would be less …But on the down side to making people pay for returns, i would be less likely to order if i was unsure wether i would like it or fit etc

Granted, but if everybody did it we would get used to it. Cost wise, it's no different for when you have to drive into a town, pay for parking, a bus etc. It's just a different mentality.

Personally for me, I am still better off ordering a few bits and paying for returns than I would be to drive into my local town, pay for parking etc.

But yes, you're not wrong - unfrotuantely it's always the lowest common demoniator ruining it for everybody else.

The sweet spot for me is being able to order online then return to store.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 12th Apr
I've seen returns at supermarkets. Orders 30 items of clothing and keeps about 5 . Worker spends good 25-30mins processing it after customer leaves. Costs the company half hours wages and not to mention all the re-packaging and ironing that needs to be done.
Edited by: "MR1123" 12th Apr
Personally I rarely order clothing online unless they have a free returns policy.

Ecom is a tough environment and very competitive so a retailer can’t simply ip their prices by £x to cover the cost.

Retailers aim that cost will be covered by the increase in sales due to offering the policy.

In many cases, the customer will return the first couple of orders but once they have an idea of sizing the company gains a return customer who knows the sizing and therefore will have less need for returns.

Asos etc now offer suggested sizes based of what you’ve ordered in the past and what sizes you returned.
ipswich788 h, 53 m ago

Granted, but if everybody did it we would get used to it. Cost wise, it's …Granted, but if everybody did it we would get used to it. Cost wise, it's no different for when you have to drive into a town, pay for parking, a bus etc. It's just a different mentality.Personally for me, I am still better off ordering a few bits and paying for returns than I would be to drive into my local town, pay for parking etc.But yes, you're not wrong - unfrotuantely it's always the lowest common demoniator ruining it for everybody else.The sweet spot for me is being able to order online then return to store.

Thing is if all retailers decided tommorow let's all charge and it be all good, then one company will be like I can steal millions of customers here by offering free returns (they might even be more pricey then places that charge for returns) then everyone would use them and other companies will follow.... Which is just how this situaded in the first place

Jack wills , Abercrombie are only ones I can vouch for that charge you for returns and is one of the reasons I won't shop there

And lastly is it abusing policy if the clothes in pictures is edited and shown off at the right angles so when it comes it looks nothing like it or fits bad ?
MR11238 h, 50 m ago

I've seen returns at supermarkets. Orders 30 items of clothing and keeps …I've seen returns at supermarkets. Orders 30 items of clothing and keeps about 5 . Worker spends good 25-30mins processing it after customer leaves. Costs the company half hours wages and not to mention all the re-packaging and ironing that needs to be done.

Supermarkets cahiers 20-30 of them all ringing constantly with money , I hardly think 4£ in wages on every 10th customer is unreasonable
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants