Return faulty microwave to Argos purchased Jan 2015

Found 15th Feb 2016
I purchased a Delonghi microwave from an Argos store for £85 end of January 2015.
Last week the light on it went. I called their customer services and was advised I can't exchange it as its been over a year. Considering I paid nearly £100 for a microwave I would expect it to last more than 13 months.
Anyone have any advice or experience on returning faulty goods just outside the 1 year limitation please?

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskMicrowave
29 Comments
Does the light stop it from working, or just stop you watching your food go round and round?
Edited by: "pinkleponkle" 15th Feb 2016
Is it just the bulb that's gone? Can you still use the microwave?
Edited by: "RossD89" 15th Feb 2016
Take it back to Argos and when they tell you it's not covered ask them if they know about the 2yr eu directive worked for me and my family
Can anyone else remember when electronics weren't 'throw-away' items..?

My mum had her previous microwave for 28 years.. If something breaks, fix it!
Does the microwave still work? If so, can't you just replace the bulb?
If you bought a car and a bulb went, You wouldn't expect a replacement.
They gave me the spiel a few years ago with a shaver as well. I asked to speak to the manager and explained to him that it hadn't lasted as long as one would expect such an item to last and he actually agreed with me. Result was an instant replacement with a brand new one.

Bottom line: Front desk staff are there to fob off pesky customers. Once you get passed them and talk to a supervisor/manager, they will usually be inclined to help. Even if it is just to get rid of you, so they can get back to what they were doing before you interrupted them.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 15th Feb 2016
shauneco

If you bought a car and a bulb went, You wouldn't expect a replacement.

I do not think that is a fair comparison as you cannot purchase a car for £30. The reason why people replace rather than repair today is because of the cost of labour and also spare parts.
When my washing machine broke down (drum was damaged), the repairman suggested to change it as the cost of a new drum and labour (to open and replace) will be nearer to the replacement cost of the washing machine.
RossD89

Is it just the bulb that's gone? Can you still use the microwave?

Yes the microwave still works. Just the light no longer works.
DVS_Dee

Does the microwave still work? If so, can't you just replace the bulb?

No I can't replace the bulb. As there's no way access to the bulb. Also there is a warning sticker saying Do Not Remove Cover.
Spest0

Take it back to Argos and when they tell you it's not covered ask them if … Take it back to Argos and when they tell you it's not covered ask them if they know about the 2yr eu directive worked for me and my family

Thanks. Will try that.
I did speak to a young girl on the phone who kept asking me if had taken out the extended warranty. I said no as I expected the microwave to last at least 2 years. It's not as if purchased a cheap microwave for £30. Therefore I felt the microwave hasn't lasted a reasonable length of time.
She tried to speak to the store where I purchased it from but came back to say there was no answer. So I said I will go into store and speak to them.

Just wanted to know if I am legally entitled to a replacement
contact delonghi before treking to argos although I would have thought a bulb replacement is a straight forward job

wikihow.com/Rep…ulb

Edited by: "chocci" 15th Feb 2016
phone delonghi?
i think, nowaday, manufacturer deliberate design appliance not to last long, so that you can buy it more often.
my panasonic microwave is over 10 years old and the original bulb is still working.
the bulb will most likely be considered a consumable (even though it may not be very accessible)
asking them to change the entire microwave because of a bulb is outrageous. the microwave still works
if the entire microwave had stopped working, you may reasonably expect consumer law require argos to offer a replacement or a chunk of the money back (minus the year's usage) but it's a bulb. a tiny and non-critical component.
we had a bed break 13 months after we bought it, was told to pay for an independent report ourselves and if it proves the bed was at fault they'd replace it. Bed went to the tip, learned not to buy anything big from argos again.
I was once told that an unqualified person was not to change bulbs in a microwave which is why they make it difficult to buy the bulbs and access to change them. This is because of the actual microwaves. I would be inclined to kick off at Argos or manufacturer. I had a Sony camera break a week after the warranty expired. Sony fixed free of charge via Argos.
debbiedturner

I was once told that an unqualified person was not to change bulbs in a … I was once told that an unqualified person was not to change bulbs in a microwave which is why they make it difficult to buy the bulbs and access to change them. This is because of the actual microwaves. I would be inclined to kick off at Argos or manufacturer. I had a Sony camera break a week after the warranty expired. Sony fixed free of charge via Argos.

You were told nonsense, it's a simple job for most microwaves to replace the bulb.
The lamps in microwave are replaceable, are you sure the cover isn't removable from inside the microwave? What model is it?
You'd think lamps inside of things are easy to change, I've got a Samsung fridge about 5 years old and the lamp inside went, no problem gain access by moving all the yogurt and cheese off the shelf.

Take the shelf out and remove the screws for the lamp cover, no too easy.

Get to the lamp cover and after a lot of head scratching and googling it transpires that this model is not user replaceable, contact service team, what, then you find out it's a strip of LEDs, but you can't get to the fecking thing.

Bring back the bulb...
After reading the following I would rather not take the risk.
"
A word of caution - microwave ovens contain a very large capacitor; think of it as a 2000 volt battery. Even after unplugging the oven, a number of components will still be live and at a voltage high enough to kill you. This is why manufacturers don't usually supply internal spares."
Coupled with the warning sticker stating the cover should not be removed, I would rather be safe than sorry.
This sticker to me indicates changing a bulb is not something the consumer should be required to do.

Thanks for all your replies. The have the
Will make a trip to Argos and see what they say.
chocci

You were told nonsense, it's a simple job for most microwaves to replace … You were told nonsense, it's a simple job for most microwaves to replace the bulb.

Nonsense.
anthony401

Nonsense.

Exactly. Anything else constructive to add dimwit?
zara_x

Will make a trip to Argos and see what they say.

So what did Delonghi say?
zara_x

After reading the following I would rather not take the risk. "A word of … After reading the following I would rather not take the risk. "A word of caution - microwave ovens contain a very large capacitor; think of it as a 2000 volt battery. Even after unplugging the oven, a number of components will still be live and at a voltage high enough to kill you. This is why manufacturers don't usually supply internal spares." Coupled with the warning sticker stating the cover should not be removed, I would rather be safe than sorry. This sticker to me indicates changing a bulb is not something the consumer should be required to do. Thanks for all your replies. The have the

​to be honest my dad's fixed and replaced parts in plenty of microwaves without ever being electrocuted so I don't think you'll die from changing a bulb. usually there's an cover over the bulb area inside the microwave so you don't need to take off the whole casing.

I'd speak to delonghi and see what they advise before going back to argos.
read the user manual then replace the bulb.

If you use the tool at this clicky link it will tell you exactly your rights.

There is no need to login or anything. The tool is brilliant - but you have to accept its response and act upon it. I just used it and I learnt in certain circumstances

Your consumer rights last for up to 6 years...

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants