Posted 10 November 2021

Return for refund without receipt #morrisons

I bought something worth £10 about 18 days ago and i went to return it today but they said I cant with no receipt.

However, at the time of payment I scanned my card and it declined so I scanned again and it got accepted. I picked up the wrong piece of reciept that says payment declined, thinking it was the actual reciept.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

33 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    alikcan10/11/2021 19:24

Its not faulty but then again their argument of having no receipt is …Its not faulty but then again their argument of having no receipt is worthless - they should have mentioned what you saidYes but I did explain that and they said well you could have bought anything so we arnt sure if this is the exact item you bought from us since a transaction does not specify what was bought

As the offer of refund is gesture of goodwill not statutory, the retailer can dictate the terms of the goodwill offer.
    You could hit them with a Subject Access Request if you feel you have been somehow victimised.
    Proof of payment is sufficient so a credible £10 transaction to vendor appearing on payment mechanism statement should be acceptable.
    Proof of payment may not necessarily equate to statutory right to refund, especially if the transaction was on-premises rather than off-premises.
    alikcan10/11/2021 23:06

But i thought there is that "changed your mind" within 28 days

As already said on the replies earlier many times. The refund is the shop gesture of goodwill to have happy customers. But to get this you need the receipt as proof that is the item purchased and when it was purchased. You haven't got that. You could have bought anything for £10 at Morrisons if you showed the bank statement. How would they know what you bought that day at the shop from the bank statement? You could have bought sandwiches and milk that are not refundable as they have a short shelf life.
    alikcan10/11/2021 19:22

I did and the staff said no thats not proof of purchaseNo longer required …I did and the staff said no thats not proof of purchaseNo longer required 28 days time you can return it.

Not Without a receipt you can't, you have no legal right to a refund simply because you changed your mind. If the item was faulty you could have shown the customer service the charge on the bank statement, most supermarkets will take your word that the transaction is for the item as the alternative is they need to go through the sales records for that date to see what you purchased.
    I did this very thing yesterday at Tesco, purchased 2 silent night teddy duvet covers and the duvets slid to the bottom of the bed during the night, not fit for purpose. Went into Tesco and showed the transaction on my banking app, they gave me a refund but the process took the best part of an hour as they couldn't find a barcode.
    Olive6011/11/2021 14:52

Obviously a different supermarket but I once needed to return an item …Obviously a different supermarket but I once needed to return an item around £45 to Tesco but misplaced my receipt. I spoke on the phone to CS who told me it's fine to take in my bank card and do it that way. The person at the CS counter hadn't a clue what I was on about and was certain it couldn't be done but got her manager who took me to a computer, typed in my bank number which brought up all the times I'd shopped/receipts. They printed me a new reciept and refunded me then! Surely they could do the same.

They can but they don't have to, and they won't, because they were just being rude.

I'm playing devil's advocate here.
    All this fuss over £10 cmon op put us out of our misery and tell us what it was
    Just show the transaction from your bank?
    alikcan10/11/2021 19:31

Thanks for your help but seriously its only £10 but I asked this here …Thanks for your help but seriously its only £10 but I asked this here because I felt blanked out as the lady appeared to be very rude in the way she kept saying no no NO receipt No refund! LolI wasnt even arguing all i said was how about bank transaction? Isnt that a proof?

Go in again next time you shop and maybe it will be someone else and try ur luck
    Returning for what reason?
    Author
    deleted266355110/11/2021 19:14

Just show the transaction from your bank?

I did and the staff said no thats not proof of purchase

Azwipe10/11/2021 19:20

Returning for what reason?

No longer required
    28 days time you can return it. (edited)
    alikcan10/11/2021 19:22

I did and the staff said no thats not proof of purchaseNo longer required …I did and the staff said no thats not proof of purchaseNo longer required 28 days time you can return it.

If you check their policy it actually allows you to send proof of purchase or bank statement via form maybe contact Twitter to confirm.

Errmm sorry I checked the wrong retailer meant to be Morrisons So this statement is invalid. Maybe take a look (edited)

Thanks for your help but seriously its only £10 but I asked this here …Thanks for your help but seriously its only £10 but I asked this here because I felt blanked out as the lady appeared to be very rude in the way she kept saying no no NO receipt No refund! LolI wasnt even arguing all i said was how about bank transaction? Isnt that a proof?

No.

You have no right to a refund for unwanted goods, receipt or not.

Without the receipt, you have to prove you purchased what you purchased, which you obviously can't do; and that's irrelevant because of the first sentence of this comment. (edited)
    Author
    deleted190177911/11/2021 00:32

You don't have a point

deleted190177911/11/2021 00:37

Their returns policy is no receipt/POP, no returns. That's also the law.St …Their returns policy is no receipt/POP, no returns. That's also the law.Stores have to stick to what they state in their terms, be it a goodwill gesture or not, they cannot pick and choose their terms after earning customers trust by having to shop thereThey are sticking to it.

Im saying if i had the receipt then by law
    They would have to return for full refund as per their terms because once you state terms for customers then you will have to stick to it by law as that would be lying and fraud (edited)
    alikcan11/11/2021 00:37

Im saying if i had the receipt then by law They would have to return … Im saying if i had the receipt then by law They would have to return for full refund as per their terms because once you state terms for customers then you will have to stick to it by law as that would be lying and fraud

If you had a receipt it would be candy and nuts and we'd all have strawberries and cream.

They could also just to point you in the direction of the Terms and Conditions of their returns policy which will clearly state somewhere "this policy is in addition to and does not affect your Statutory Rights" or something very similar.
    Obviously a different supermarket but I once needed to return an item around £45 to Tesco but misplaced my receipt. I spoke on the phone to CS who told me it's fine to take in my bank card and do it that way. The person at the CS counter hadn't a clue what I was on about and was certain it couldn't be done but got her manager who took me to a computer, typed in my bank number which brought up all the times I'd shopped/receipts. They printed me a new reciept and refunded me then! Surely they could do the same.
    AndyRoyd10/11/2021 19:28

As the offer of refund is gesture of goodwill not statutory, the retailer …As the offer of refund is gesture of goodwill not statutory, the retailer can dictate the terms of the goodwill offer.You could hit them with a Subject Access Request if you feel you have been somehow victimised.

If they advertise that they offer refunds within x number of days,. then it becomes terms of the sale.

A retailer is also meant to keep a copy of the transaction, so a bank statement is a recognised and valid proof of purchase and will give them enough information to be able to find the transaction on their system (edited)
    Shops don't need to offer refunds or exchanges unless the item is faulty.
    If that's the case they'll have a copy of the transaction.
    Author
    Paddy_o_furniture10/11/2021 19:23

Shops don't need to offer refunds or exchanges unless the item is faulty. …Shops don't need to offer refunds or exchanges unless the item is faulty. If that's the case they'll have a copy of the transaction.

Its not faulty but then again their argument of having no receipt is worthless - they should have mentioned what you said

AndyRoyd10/11/2021 19:24

Proof of payment is sufficient so a credible £10 transaction to vendor …Proof of payment is sufficient so a credible £10 transaction to vendor appearing on payment mechanism statement should be acceptable.Proof of payment may not necessarily equate to statutory right to refund, especially if the transaction was on-premises rather than off-premises.

Yes but I did explain that and they said well you could have bought anything so we arnt sure if this is the exact item you bought from us since a transaction does not specify what was bought (edited)
    Author
    AndyRoyd10/11/2021 19:28

As the offer of refund is gesture of goodwill not statutory, the retailer …As the offer of refund is gesture of goodwill not statutory, the retailer can dictate the terms of the goodwill offer.You could hit them with a Subject Access Request if you feel you have been somehow victimised.

Thanks for your help but seriously its only £10 but I asked this here because I felt blanked out as the lady appeared to be very rude in the way she kept saying no no NO receipt No refund! Lol

I wasnt even arguing all i said was how about bank transaction? Isnt that a proof? (edited)

Thanks for your help but seriously its only £10 but I asked this here …Thanks for your help but seriously its only £10 but I asked this here because I felt blanked out as the lady appeared to be very rude in the way she kept saying no no NO receipt No refund!

and the associate's comment is not an unreasonable statement.
    If your issue is more about how you were spoken to it is a CS issue not a consumer issue, but your OP is clearly consumer with no mention of CS rudeness.
    Did you scan a More card at all? If so can they trace via that?

The biggest issue here is that supermarkets get so many people trying this with stolen goods that it spoils it for everybody
    Author
    AndyRoyd10/11/2021 19:36

and the associate's comment is not an unreasonable statement.If your issue …and the associate's comment is not an unreasonable statement.If your issue is more about how you were spoken to it is a CS issue not a consumer issue, but your OP is clearly consumer with no mention of CS rudeness.

Only reason I didnt want to mention that is because if theres a way I could get back at them not for the £10 but just to prove my point and answer to their rudeness thats all
    Try again and ask for the manager, most big companies will take the bank statement as proof suspect in this case member of staff doesn’t know how things work.
    Author
    deleted266355110/11/2021 19:44

If you check their policy it actually allows you to send proof of purchase …If you check their policy it actually allows you to send proof of purchase or bank statement via form maybe contact Twitter to confirm.Errmm sorry I checked the wrong retailer meant to be Morrisons So this statement is invalid. Maybe take a look

Lool yes

deleted7595310/11/2021 20:12

Try again and ask for the manager, most big companies will take the bank …Try again and ask for the manager, most big companies will take the bank statement as proof suspect in this case member of staff doesn’t know how things work.

I will try take it to another morrisons

Same thing happened to me a while back for a jacket return it unused and I asked for the manager, she was worst than the staff and told me to go and complain i wont exchange that. I said i have not used it at all! She said no it smells

I argued but she wouldnt even exchange it. I felt hopeless - i couldnt do nothing so just took it to another store and they took it happily (edited)
    i think a lot of retailers will not refund without the receipt as the bank statement can not prove that was the goods bought for them to verify the item and the date the item was purchased. at best they will give you a store credit.

try again but i wouldn't hold your breath to be honest.
    Author
    deleted190177910/11/2021 22:06

No.You have no right to a refund for unwanted goods, receipt or not.Without …No.You have no right to a refund for unwanted goods, receipt or not.Without the receipt, you have to prove you purchased what you purchased, which you obviously can't do; and that's irrelevant because of the first sentence of this comment.

But i thought there is that "changed your mind" within 28 days
    Author
    mutley110/11/2021 23:17

As already said on the replies earlier many times. The refund is the shop …As already said on the replies earlier many times. The refund is the shop gesture of goodwill to have happy customers. But to get this you need the receipt as proof that is the item purchased and when it was purchased. You haven't got that. You could have bought anything for £10 at Morrisons if you showed the bank statement. How would they know what you bought that day at the shop from the bank statement? You could have bought sandwiches and milk that are not refundable as they have a short shelf life.

No i dont think I can agree with you for saying that stores could return it and refund as a 'goodwill gesture' and i think theres a bit of law in it especially when stores have stated they will accept returns within 28 days.

"It's worth noting that shops aren't required by law to have a returns policy, but if they do have one they must stick to it.

Returns policies are usually displayed on receipts, on signs in store and online. You can also ring the shop's customer services line to find out its returns policy."

And yes of course the above only works if you have a valid receipt.

Stores have to stick to what they state in their terms, be it a goodwill gesture or not, they cannot pick and choose their terms after earning customers trust by having to shop there, knowing they can return if they wish to.

I understand I have to have a receipt but the whole point of this thread was to find out whether other forms of docs should also work as proof of purchase, like a transaction statement etc... but i know its clear now that they cannot be taken as proof of purchase as I could have bought anything. (edited)
    alikcan10/11/2021 23:26

No i dont think I can agree with you for saying that stores could return …No i dont think I can agree with you for saying that stores could return it and refund as a 'goodwill gesture' and i think theres a bit of law in it especially when stores have stated they will accept returns within 28 days. "It's worth noting that shops aren't required by law to have a returns policy, but if they do have one they must stick to it.Returns policies are usually displayed on receipts, on signs in store and online. You can also ring the shop's customer services line to find out its returns policy."And yes of course the above only works if you have a valid receipt. Stores have to stick to what they state in their terms, be it a goodwill gesture or not, they cannot pick and choose their terms after earning customers trust by having to shop there, knowing they can return if they wish to.I understand I have to have a receipt but the whole point of this thread was to find out whether other forms of docs should also work as proof of purchase, like a transaction statement etc... but i know its clear now that they cannot be taken as proof of purchase as I could have bought anything.

When you return something, they also cross the receipt so you can't return the same item again. As you don't have the receipt, they can't do this. People can defraud the shops by bringing in stuff they bought elsewhere and getting refunds. Stuff that could be fakes. This is why the retailers insist on the receipt to show that particular item, bought on that particular day from themselves and then they cross the receipt or write on it so you can't return another similar item using the same receipt.

No i dont think I can agree with you for saying that stores could return …No i dont think I can agree with you for saying that stores could return it and refund as a 'goodwill gesture' and i think theres a bit of law in it especially when stores have stated they will accept returns within 28 days. "It's worth noting that shops aren't required by law to have a returns policy, but if they do have one they must stick to it.Returns policies are usually displayed on receipts, on signs in store and online. You can also ring the shop's customer services line to find out its returns policy."And yes of course the above only works if you have a valid receipt. Stores have to stick to what they state in their terms, be it a goodwill gesture or not, they cannot pick and choose their terms after earning customers trust by having to shop there, knowing they can return if they wish to.I understand I have to have a receipt but the whole point of this thread was to find out whether other forms of docs should also work as proof of purchase, like a transaction statement etc... but i know its clear now that they cannot be taken as proof of purchase as I could have bought anything.

They are sticking to it, by refusing the refund...

No i dont think I can agree with you for saying that stores could return …No i dont think I can agree with you for saying that stores could return it and refund as a 'goodwill gesture' and i think theres a bit of law in it especially when stores have stated they will accept returns within 28 days.

Their returns policy is no receipt/POP, no returns. That's also the law.

Stores have to stick to what they state in their terms, be it a goodwill gesture or not, they cannot pick and choose their terms after earning customers trust by having to shop there

They are sticking to it.

Morissons' goodwill refund policy is within 30 days of purchase, not 28.
    If this was a statutory refund a credible purchase mechanism transaction would be sufficient as PoP, and PoP, not receipt, is quoted in M's GoG refund policy. But it's not a stat refund so M may reasonably choose to be a little more demanding on its expectations.
    As prev mentioned: the specific transaction is traceable but will likely require some effort for you/bank/Ms to obtain.
    All above is unrelated to a "rude" assistant, but you may find a CS complaint may coerce a favourable return/refund outcome should you really wish to see some action over real/implied rudeness, where refund refusal itself it not rude.
's avatar