Expired

Return Item after Chargeback?

Found 23rd Mar
I went through a chargeback for an item with a defect as the company would not pay for the return postage

Now that my chargeback has been accepted by the Creditcard company, the first company wants to pay the return charge to get the product back.. am I obligated to give them the item back?

It's taken me 6 weeks of fighting and really just want to annoy the hell out of them and hopefully not give it back.

From what I've seen, I don't need to but would like some help
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
Wow, It's unreal the childish levels some will stoop to.
Why would you want to keep an item with a defect so bad they you initiated a chargeback? You’ve already annoyed them enough by getting the refund and return postage paid
Realign your moral compass and return it.
21 Comments
Why would you want to keep an item with a defect so bad they you initiated a chargeback? You’ve already annoyed them enough by getting the refund and return postage paid
Realign your moral compass and return it.
Original Poster
Toptrumpet5 m ago

Why would you want to keep an item with a defect so bad they you initiated …Why would you want to keep an item with a defect so bad they you initiated a chargeback? You’ve already annoyed them enough by getting the refund and return postage paidRealign your moral compass and return it.

If someone annoys you bad enough you want a bit of payback. Obviously they will try sell it off to someone else if I give it back and make money from it
What's it to do with you once they receive their item back from you? You just want to keep the item, right?
Original Poster
RiverDragon82 m ago

What's it to do with you once they receive their item back from you? You …What's it to do with you once they receive their item back from you? You just want to keep the item, right?

Yep, I don't want them to make money. I don't like how they treated me and want to be a pain for them if I can
Original Poster
RossD8917 m ago

Yep I am being petty and childish, but guess what they are broke the consumer rights act. What's more important...

I want to know my rights to see if I have to return the item or not now, as realistically this is the only way to make them compensate for the way I've been treated.

I gave them every opportunity to pay for the return of the item for 6 weeks in the end I had to do a chargeback, now they want to pay for the return.
sunil2372 m ago

Yep I am being petty and childish, but guess what they are broke the …Yep I am being petty and childish, but guess what they are broke the consumer rights act. What's more important...I want to know my rights to see if I have to return the item or not now, as realistically this is the only way to make them compensate for the way I've been treated.I gave them every opportunity to pay for the return of the item for 6 weeks in the end I had to do a chargeback, now they want to pay for the return.

You've already been compensated having being refunded, but by all means, act like a spoilt child if it makes you happy.
Original Poster
it does
If they genuinely been a pain and it wasn't you then send some clay over. However I think it was you because story has missing beginning and middle.
I don’t think you have to return it. But they could claim against you if they wanted to.
Chatter, chatter, chatter

LEGALLY

The goods are defective therefore the contract has not been fulfilled. You must notify them in a reasonable time. You must give them a reasonable opportunity to fix or replace the goods.

You do NOT have to pay returns on defective items but they can send you a pre paid label and expect you to co-operate. If defective goods are shipped to you, you have to make them available for collection.
Original Poster
MR112349 m ago

If they genuinely been a pain and it wasn't you then send some clay over. …If they genuinely been a pain and it wasn't you then send some clay over. However I think it was you because story has missing beginning and middle.

I got the item, created a support ticket same day. no reply for 3 days. told them again. was told to give them a few more days. gave them more time. I was asked for photo evidence of the issue. gave it. Told I can return the item if I want for a refund and they will investigate once it's with them. I asked 3-4 times for them to confirm that they will cover this returns cost and an address. Eventually told no they won't cover return charge and given the address too (£12 - I checked). Also told there's no issue during these last few emails, meaning they won't "investigate" and even if they did.. I knew the answer.

The "defect" was a large dent in a pan.. you can't use a pan that has a 1cm sq dent in it.

I don't want to abuse the freepost address I have, that's pretty far
Original Poster
ccnp50 m ago

Chatter, chatter, chatterLEGALLYThe goods are defective therefore the …Chatter, chatter, chatterLEGALLYThe goods are defective therefore the contract has not been fulfilled. You must notify them in a reasonable time. You must give them a reasonable opportunity to fix or replace the goods. You do NOT have to pay returns on defective items but they can send you a pre paid label and expect you to co-operate. If defective goods are shipped to you, you have to make them available for collection.

I agree, I have given them plenty of time to rectify (6 weeks) but they refused to pay for return postage until I forced the refund through the chargeback, now they've provided a freepost return address
Sounds really unprofessional of them that now you have your money back, they give you a freepost returns address, but before told you that you had to pay for return. Now that the ball is in your court, you call the shots. For all the time you wasted to get your money back, get them to arrange collection of the pan at a time and day that is convenient for you. I wouldn't go out of my way to send it back. If they want it, they can collect it.
thenormalone23 m ago

Sounds really unprofessional of them that now you have your money back, …Sounds really unprofessional of them that now you have your money back, they give you a freepost returns address, but before told you that you had to pay for return. Now that the ball is in your court, you call the shots. For all the time you wasted to get your money back, get them to arrange collection of the pan at a time and day that is convenient for you. I wouldn't go out of my way to send it back. If they want it, they can collect it.

This^^^^

But I still think the ops a bit.... well.....
So they said a 1cm dent is not an issue. Put a 1cm dent in each pan in that case and return.

I can understand you being peed off. Had you not been able to do a charge back they'd of had you over.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 23rd Mar
Original Poster
Shengis1 h, 4 m ago

This^^^^But I still think the ops a bit.... well.....

Oh yea, for sure TBH I've had problems with quite a few bits in the last few months (I've moved into my first home after doing renovation work) and am really annoyed at anyone that unnecessarily takes my time like this, I can't claim for my wasted time, but if I can make them suffer I'm happier

thenormalone1 h, 27 m ago

Sounds really unprofessional of them that now you have your money back, …Sounds really unprofessional of them that now you have your money back, they give you a freepost returns address, but before told you that you had to pay for return. Now that the ball is in your court, you call the shots. For all the time you wasted to get your money back, get them to arrange collection of the pan at a time and day that is convenient for you. I wouldn't go out of my way to send it back. If they want it, they can collect it.

That's a good idea, I shouldn't really have to go out my way to a post office to sort it out for them

ScubaDudes1 h, 4 m ago

So they said a 1cm dent is not an issue. Put a 1cm dent in each pan in …So they said a 1cm dent is not an issue. Put a 1cm dent in each pan in that case and return. I can understand you being peed off. Had you not been able to do a charge back they'd of had you over.

Yup, I am more annoyed at the waste of time because they don't want to abide by the rules.
I've had amazon refund me £100's without questioning me, and I regret not buying through them on this occasion
It'll serve them right if they don't get them back. Then hopefully next time they won't be so smart and do the right thing.
The first think to confirm is whether the company has accepted the chargeback. If they dispute it, your bank can claw it back.

If they have accepted the chargeback and are going to pay for the item to be returned then it should be returned.
Visa has slightly different rules on chargebacks to mastercard for not as described claims.

Visa requires you to return the goods before they’ll accept the chargeback (and ask for evidence) whereas Mastercard just needs you to have given the seller the opportunity to collect.
Visa’s rules are here visaeurope.com/med…pdf , code 53 condition 3 is used for not as described and you can see the timescales and requirments. If you dont return the goods, the seller can represent the charge.
the mastercard rules are here mastercard.us/con…pdf but theres nothing about the seller being able to defend/represent the charge- i assume thats because you only have to tell the seller to collect, and prove they didnt.

so,was if it was a mastercard, you have done all you need to, but if it was on visa you do have to return it
Edited by: "somerandomguy" 24th Mar
Original Poster
somerandomguy19 h, 59 m ago

Visa has slightly different rules on chargebacks to mastercard for not as …Visa has slightly different rules on chargebacks to mastercard for not as described claims.Visa requires you to return the goods before they’ll accept the chargeback (and ask for evidence) whereas Mastercard just needs you to have given the seller the opportunity to collect.Visa’s rules are here https://www.visaeurope.com/media/images/visa%20core%20rules%20and%20visa%20product%20and%20service%20rules%202017-73-40575.pdf#page613 , code 53 condition 3 is used for not as described and you can see the timescales and requirments. If you dont return the goods, the seller can represent the charge.the mastercard rules are here https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/mccom/en-us/documents/rules/chargeback-guide.pdf#page57 but theres nothing about the seller being able to defend/represent the charge- i assume thats because you only have to tell the seller to collect, and prove they didnt.so,was if it was a mastercard, you have done all you need to, but if it was on visa you do have to return it

I love you

Found it very difficult to find the actual rules
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions