Groups

Return postage on eBay

I bought something from eBay and when I recieved it it was broke. The seller has said if I return it she will refund me. Should I be refunded the postage I pay to send it back as it was not my fault?

Thanks

16 Comments

yes ask for a full refund including the delivery charge.

Hopefully the seller will refund your return postage, but they don't have to.

I think you should but some people will say no, they don't have to.

At the end of the day, why should you be out of pocket?

blineboy

yes ask for a full refund including the delivery charge.

not sure about that m8-all the stuff in the news lately about distance selling regulations,and companies breaking the law by not refunding postage has stated it does not apply to private individuals on ebay.

seller may be morally bound to refund postage but legally,I dont think so.

You should not be out of pocket.

Having said that some sellers are bums.

I received a childs top with stains and food on it (described as excellent), item was £1.99 + £2.00 postage and £2.40ish to return tracked.

The seller was adamant that they only needed to refund £1.99 on return. Wanted me to be £4.40 out pocket for her mistake.

barky

not sure about that m8-all the stuff in the news lately about distance … not sure about that m8-all the stuff in the news lately about distance selling regulations,and companies breaking the law by not refunding postage has stated it does not apply to private individuals on ebay.seller may be morally bound to refund postage but legally,I dont think so.

not talking from personal experience, but just something i would be wanting myself if i was in the same situation . .

Banned

phone the seller and speak in person and offer to email photos to prove damage...If your lucky they may just say bin it and refund you the purchase price

Banned

they dont have to refund the return postage. just the original postage you paid upon purchase.

Banned

gavjbrown

You should not be out of pocket.Having said that some sellers are bums.I … You should not be out of pocket.Having said that some sellers are bums.I received a childs top with stains and food on it, item I had was £1.99 + £2.00 postage and £2.40ish to return tracked.The seller was adamant that they only needed to refund £1.99 on return.

nah, that is wrong and against ebay regs. report them.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've message the person and they said they will refund me everything plus the postage I will pay to send it back. I'll send it recorded tho.

No you shouldn't be refunded for POSTAGE, but refunded for the item only itself.
    Obviously the item has broke during transit through the royal mail system and in this case the seller cant do very much unless it was sent by recorded delivery.
    If it was, then yes postage can be refunded as this can be claimed back.
    I have been a seller on ebay for the past couple of years and this is how I have always operated.

Well I bought something from Ebay and the person was a business seller with over 10 thousand positives yet they sent me the wrong item, I sent it back at cost of £7 and they never refunded till over a month later then didnt pay back my return postage or the original £7 postage so I am £14 out of pocket for them sending me the wrong item and they have the cheek to say they dont normally do refunds and this is a goodwill gesture! I would of opened a dispite but both Ebay and Paypal dates have passed.

Original Poster

lkscoltand

No you shouldn't be refunded for POSTAGE, but refunded for the item only … No you shouldn't be refunded for POSTAGE, but refunded for the item only itself.Obviously the item has broke during transit through the royal mail system and in this case the seller cant do very much unless it was sent by recorded delivery.If it was, then yes postage can be refunded as this can be claimed back.I have been a seller on ebay for the past couple of years and this is how I have always operated.

It wasn't broke through transit. It's a Disney Princess Phone and where the batteries go it was that corroded part of the spring had came off

lkscoltand

No you shouldn't be refunded for POSTAGE, but refunded for the item only … No you shouldn't be refunded for POSTAGE, but refunded for the item only itself.Obviously the item has broke during transit through the royal mail system and in this case the seller cant do very much unless it was sent by recorded delivery.If it was, then yes postage can be refunded as this can be claimed back.I have been a seller on ebay for the past couple of years and this is how I have always operated.

I think you'll find you're wrong,a seller can claim for any item damaged NOT just RD here are the details.

Your text here

I
    gavjbrown

You should not be out of pocket.Having said that some sellers are bums.I … You should not be out of pocket.Having said that some sellers are bums.I received a childs top with stains and food on it (described as excellent), item was £1.99 + £2.00 postage and £2.40ish to return tracked.The seller was adamant that they only needed to refund £1.99 on return. Wanted me to be £4.40 out pocket for her mistake.

What happened,did you get your refund sorted via a dispute?

Banned

lkscoltand

So much wrong with that. If the item broke during transit then they will get a full refund from RM including postage as long as it was sent with at least proof of posting.
    If he is a business seller then they have to pay postage for faulty goods.
    Even if not, although you don't have to, why should a buyer be out of pocket for something a seller has done wrong?

I wouldn't dream of making a buyer pay to get his money back, and on rare occasions something has arrvied faulty I've either refunded in full and said throw it away or had it returned and refunded postage paid.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831429
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764331
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846229
      4. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay411

See more discussions