Returned item on eBay but Royal mail lost it.. can I still get refund?

Found 25th Jul
Basically I sent the item back to the seller because it was damaged when it arrived so I sent it back and seller agreed. However he has not yet received the package and tracking states the package is still in transit? I called Royal Mail today and they said the package is lost... What rights do I have? Can I still request a refund from the buyer because tecnhically it's not my fault. It's 10000% royal mails fault. I'm lost and confused because I feel bad for the seller but then again I am losing £300. Any advice how I should go with this?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Dont worry, you should be ok

Ebay returns

Insurance isn't available for return packages, although we'll refund the buyer and allow you to keep the payment if an item goes missing using one of the carriers in the eBay returns process. If either you or your buyer prefers that an item be returned with insurance, the buyer should purchase return postage with insurance instead of using the label provided by eBay.

pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml
Edited by: "chocci" 26th Jul
18 Comments
I would have assumed that you would have to claim for compensation from Royal Mail due to loss of parcel.

Did you insure the item to the full value?

Did the seller provide the return shipping or did you do this by yourself?
I think recorded delivery 1st class only gives £50 compensation for lost items.
Edited by: "jayonline85" 25th Jul
karlypants8 m ago

I would have assumed that you would have to claim for compensation from …I would have assumed that you would have to claim for compensation from Royal Mail due to loss of parcel. Did you insure the item to the full value?Did the seller provide the return shipping or did you do this by yourself?

No I did not insure anything. Seller (or eBay not 100% sure) provided me return label and I just sent it of to my local post office. I am very sad right now tbh.
jayonline854 m ago

I think recorded delivery 1st class only gives £50 compensation for lost …I think recorded delivery 1st class only gives £50 compensation for lost items.

No insurance
if you bought the postage then would be down to you
hopefully as you didn't get to specify the postage method then its not
Wait until the seller contacts you, you never know it might have been delivered but the postie hasn't bothered getting a signature.

If the seller or ebay provided you with a returns label then they should be responsible as long as you can prove it was posted with tracking or proof of postage receipt.
freakstyler8 m ago

Wait until the seller contacts you, you never know it might have been …Wait until the seller contacts you, you never know it might have been delivered but the postie hasn't bothered getting a signature.If the seller or ebay provided you with a returns label then they should be responsible as long as you can prove it was posted with tracking or proof of postage receipt.

I think eBay provided me the free label but not 100% sure I know I never paid for postage. Should I contact eBay? I'm confused how I should go forward with this? I'm sure the seller wont refund me...
Sophia19932 m ago

I think eBay provided me the free label but not 100% sure I know I never …I think eBay provided me the free label but not 100% sure I know I never paid for postage. Should I contact eBay? I'm confused how I should go forward with this? I'm sure the seller wont refund me...

If its only been a few days since you posted, do nothing until the seller contacts you. If you were provided with the return label then whoever issued it should be responsible - you did your part and posted it. Provided that you can prove that you actually posted it you should be fine.
freakstyler14 m ago

If its only been a few days since you posted, do nothing until the seller …If its only been a few days since you posted, do nothing until the seller contacts you. If you were provided with the return label then whoever issued it should be responsible - you did your part and posted it. Provided that you can prove that you actually posted it you should be fine.

Yes I have the receipt with me.
This is the definitive answer from the legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade

Part 3, sectioms 34,35 and crucially for your case, read wth schedule 3.
Edited by: "splender" 26th Jul
ceres5 m ago

Do you want to have a third go at it because your first two efforts are …Do you want to have a third go at it because your first two efforts are not relevant to the OP's situation.

It's all there now.
ceres26 m ago

Do you want to have a third go at it because your first two efforts are …Do you want to have a third go at it because your first two efforts are not relevant to the OP's situation.

And you, as a bystander, have manners and courtesy, use the key word , please. Use the word please when I am helpong the OP at 1 am in the morning as I go to sleep. Your words are rude. You have a rude atttude, without using expletives, insulting to the core when I tried to flip between tiny windows on a small touch keyboard cross referencing lying down in bed the various sources to confirm the info is accurate with my tired eyes after midnight. You reflect on how few minutes that I took in total. Where is you helpful post in this threas to resole the problem? Your name goes down as a nightmare.
Sophia199354 m ago

Yes I have the receipt with me.

You ticked a like on a discourteous comment, you have manners and gratitude at my help at 1 am in the morning.
Edited by: "splender" 26th Jul
Dont worry, you should be ok

Ebay returns

Insurance isn't available for return packages, although we'll refund the buyer and allow you to keep the payment if an item goes missing using one of the carriers in the eBay returns process. If either you or your buyer prefers that an item be returned with insurance, the buyer should purchase return postage with insurance instead of using the label provided by eBay.

pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml
Edited by: "chocci" 26th Jul
This happened to me before, call eBay and they will sort it out for you. As eBay provided the returns label it's on their account and down to them to claim from Royal Mail. You won't lose out, don't worry.
Shevchenko48 m ago

This happened to me before, call eBay and they will sort it out for you. …This happened to me before, call eBay and they will sort it out for you. As eBay provided the returns label it's on their account and down to them to claim from Royal Mail. You won't lose out, don't worry.

Agreed SO LONG AS OP has proof of posting
ccnp1 h, 8 m ago

Agreed SO LONG AS OP has proof of posting

which they do
You won't even need proof of posting, well at least I didn't. eBay could see via the tracking information that I'd posted it. The very helpful customer service advisor fully refunded me and said eBay will sort it out with royal mail. You can't claim as it is purchased via eBay's Royal mail business account. It's their responsibility to claim. Just call them up, they won't do anything until then
Something similar happened to me last year. I had to return an item to an ebay seller. ebay provided the return ticket and I went to the post office to send the item back. Long story short after about 6 weeks, I finally got contacted by the seller that I was returning the item to that they still haven't received the item for refund. I contacted Royal Mail who admitted that they had lost my item.
What I had to do then was to have a copy of the original item copied, a copy of the order through ebay, that shows the price of the item I was returning, then completed an online claims for that is on the Royal Mail site.
Hopefully your item may have just been delayed, but if it has been lost that's the way you have to go about claiming.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions