1. Tes Deals
Groups

Returning a faulty PS3 to Tesco

Banned
    They are refusing to exchange or refund a 1 day old(in fact less than 24 hours) PS3, it powers on but the drive doesnt load anything.

They just said phone Sony but I said the sale of goods act says they have to exchange or refund but they refused.

Im right arent I?

Its not what Sony says that goes as that isnt the law.

20 Comments

What bad luck, you did check it's not the disc?

I would definately stand my ground. I spend £100 on an electical item from a local shop and it didnt work so i took it back to the store who were refusing me a refund and told me to contact the manufacturer. I just refused to leave til they refunded me and when closing time came, i got my money!

Yes i definately think you should complain more. Ask to speak to the manager. If they have sold you it faulty surely they must be held accountable. Good luck

this happened to me with woolworths and they gave in luckily

You should be able to return it.
    Never heard of tesco refusing before..

They should offer an exchange or refund if you have a receipt, especially if you only had it a day, I work for the sony centre and they def dont accept them back unless its bought in the shop, I will have a look in work 2mr and see if their are any numbers I can give you to contact the right people, will try an post it after work 2mr for you m8

Also have you downloaded the update cus older ps3s had problems loading discs with the online update, we had one in work the other day and done a full system restore, it takes a couple of hours but the system is working now,

If they still refuse after speaking with the manager, get straight in touch with your local Trading standards office, I'm pretty certain they'd quite like to know about it. If the item is faulty the shop has to take the item back. If however its because you've changed your mind, they don;t have to, but usually do on goodwill.

When you bought it you entered into a contract with Tesco not Sony. Yes you are right.

They'll probably try to argue with you that it's going to take longer for you to get it back if you go through them but I agree, you should stand your ground.

feed_me_chocs;2065500

They'll probably try to argue with you that it's going to take longer for … They'll probably try to argue with you that it's going to take longer for you to get it back if you go through them but I agree, you should stand your ground.

You're probably right but that really shouldn't be an issue - Tesco should swap your faulty PS3 for a brand new one straight away, and let them take the hit of sorting it out through Sony.

When you buy something, you have a right to expect it to work!

stand ur ground, if its faulty they should refund u

newbie here but I think the law states that for the first 28 days the retailer is liable and you are within your rights to return a faulty product and request a refund.

Banned

Mate stand your ground on this. I recommend you writing a letter straight to the store manager.

Direct him to the Sale of Goods Act 1979. By law if there is a transfer of goods/poperty, then in the contract between the seller and buyer, there will be implied terms that:

a) the goods sold will be of satisfactory quality; and

b) the goods sold will be reasonably fit for purpose.

Clearly the the ps3 isnt satisfactory qualitiy, otherwise it would work and it isnt fit for its purpose because it can't play blu rays or ps3 games!

If you want to read up on it, its section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If you need any more help, pointers I'm happy to help :thumbsup:

ps, i forgot to mention if they offer store credit, then take it aslong as you want it, but legally you are entitled to a replacement ps3 (brand new) or your full money back.

Banned

2sly;2081163

Mate stand your ground on this. I recommend you writing a letter straight … Mate stand your ground on this. I recommend you writing a letter straight to the store manager.Direct him to the Sale of Goods Act 1979. By law if there is a transfer of goods/poperty, then in the contract between the seller and buyer, there will be implied terms that:a) the goods sold will be of satisfactory quality; and b) the goods sold will be reasonably fit for purpose.Clearly the the ps3 isnt satisfactory qualitiy, otherwise it would work and it isnt fit for its purpose because it can't play blu rays or ps3 games!If you want to read up on it, its section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.If you need any more help, pointers I'm happy to help :thumbsup:ps, i forgot to mention if they offer store credit, then take it aslong as you want it, but legally you are entitled to a replacement ps3 (brand new) or your full money back.

Good research and spot on. You are fully entitled to a refund so do that as a last resort and buy another one elsewhere. i would have thought a tesco store would be one of the pricier places compared to what deals you can get on this site.

I think by law shops have to give you a 1 year warranty on the item as long as you keep the reciept?

2sly;2081163

Mate stand your ground on this. I recommend you writing a letter straight … Mate stand your ground on this. I recommend you writing a letter straight to the store manager.

Don't waste your time posting a letter, you want your refund NOW, so write the letter if it helps get your point accross and give it to the manager personally and demand action immediately (easier send than done I know). If you write a letter and post if it is unlikely they will get back to you. If you don't get any joy then phone up customer services at head office and explain to them what has happened - they are usually good at getting things done correctly.

Why not call the manager?

Banned

As a practical point, I would firstly go down to the store one more time and see if he they will be reasonable and refund or exchange the ps3.

If they refuse, write the letter as I suggested and allow them 14 days to refund your money, otherwise you will issue county court proceedings. That will get their attention for sure and will more often than not, do the trick.

If they still dont refund you, what the hell ISSUE PROCEEDINGS ! :-D I will help you draft the necessary claim form and particulars of claim plus you will be entitled to some interest. :w00t:

pinkkitty2007;2065446

I would definately stand my ground. I spend £100 on an electical item … I would definately stand my ground. I spend £100 on an electical item from a local shop and it didnt work so i took it back to the store who were refusing me a refund and told me to contact the manufacturer. I just refused to leave til they refunded me and when closing time came, i got my money!

There was a woman in Argos other day,they wouldn't refund her,they got town security or sent police round or something,my partner said about it.

They should take it back and refund or replace no hassle,try another Tesco store if you can get to one.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions