Expired

Returning a sealed iPad without a receipt?

Found 12th Mar 2013
Purchased a 4th gen ipad for £580 cash from pc world about 2-3 months ago. Receipt has vanished but ipad is still sealed in the box. A cash refund is out of the question as there's no proof of purchase but would it be possible to get store credit instead? I have returned items to various stores in the past without a receipt and received store credit but never anything of this value.

Would it be dishonest to return to a different retailer that has better returns policies? Was thinking JL...?

Dont really want to sell on at a loss if I can help it.

27 Comments

chances are that they would be able to tell from the serial number if it was from their stock or not and yes it would be dishonest

Don't think so as barcode should only show up on retailers system.

If you purchased by Credit / Debit card take a copy of your statement in as this is legal proof of purchase.

If you know the date and approx time of purchase ( and perhaps even which till you used) Most shops can trace the transaction but it can take while.

Banned

lol at thinking you can return to a different store

its 3 months old so pc world will tell you to do one and rightly so

I'm curious, why would anyone spend £580 on something & then not even open it?

Original Poster

IWOOTN

Don't think so as barcode should only show up on retailers system.If you … Don't think so as barcode should only show up on retailers system.If you purchased by Credit / Debit card take a copy of your statement in as this is legal proof of purchase.If you know the date and approx time of purchase ( and perhaps even which till you used) Most shops can trace the transaction but it can take while.

I paid cash
csiman

lol at thinking you can return to a different store its 3 months old so … lol at thinking you can return to a different store its 3 months old so pc world will tell you to do one and rightly so

It's still the newest model and price hasn't changed at all. Whats funny? I know someone that returned a faulty coffee machine to argos that was purchased from amazon. Just read up that apple will give store credit so will probably put it towards next gen iphone

Original Poster

bubblegum2910

I'm curious, why would anyone spend £580 on something & then not even … I'm curious, why would anyone spend £580 on something & then not even open it?

Was meant to be a birthday gift but recipient received a similar gift so gave cash instead. I have an ipad already so no good for me.

Save yourself the hassle, i'll give you 27 quid for it...

Original Poster

JusticeForThe96

Save yourself the hassle, i'll give you 27 quid for it...

One of the reasons I didn't want to sell it on the fs section was that people genuinely make offers like that lol

seezyf

One of the reasons I didn't want to sell it on the fs section was that … One of the reasons I didn't want to sell it on the fs section was that people genuinely make offers like that lol

Haha sorry mate, couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, I think you'll be lucky to get it returned at this stage, but if it were my i'd go straight to an Apple Store and ask them, tell them it was a gift and you already have a MacBook and an iMac (they love all that) and see what they can do for you. If they say no, get yourself back down to PC World and explain to them. Go near finishing time when the staff are (a) in a good mood and (b) don't want to have to be stuck arguing with you after the closing time!

If that fails... £28, final offer.

Great, another member who's not only dishonest but adds 'lol' to the end of an unfunny sentence.

Banned

good luck trying to get £580 store credit from apple

no chance

Original Poster

willhay555

Great, another member who's not only dishonest but adds 'lol' to the end … Great, another member who's not only dishonest but adds 'lol' to the end of an unfunny sentence.

I'm not dishonest at all. Infact, I was about to expire this as a friend of mine who works for a non profit chairty has been looking for random bits and bobs to auction off at a charity dinner event and I've decided to donate it as they can probably collect double the retail value on a good day. I will let you know next week what the final price was

Banned

seezyf

I'm not dishonest at all. Infact, I was about to expire this as a friend … I'm not dishonest at all. Infact, I was about to expire this as a friend of mine who works for a non profit chairty has been looking for random bits and bobs to auction off at a charity dinner event and I've decided to donate it as they can probably collect double the retail value on a good day. I will let you know next week what the final price was

Hmmmm

Would it be dishonest to return to a different retailer that has better returns policies? Was thinking JL...?

Original Poster

csiman

Hmmmm Would it be dishonest to return to a different retailer that has … Hmmmm Would it be dishonest to return to a different retailer that has better returns policies? Was thinking JL...?

It was a question. I would not have gained anything financially. They would not have lost anything. Good day.

Original Poster

csiman

good luck trying to get £580 store credit from appleno chance

Tons of forums say otherwise

applefanatic.org/ipa…tml

Fraud tip of the day award goes to ............

csiman

good luck trying to get £580 store credit from appleno chance

few years ago purchased an ipod in japan turned out to be dead unit took it to apple store in london got brand new replacement did bot even have the receipt

Banned

seezyf

Tons of forums say otherwise … Tons of forums say otherwise http://applefanatic.org/ipad/will-apple-exchange-without-receipt-item-brand-new-t244527.html

lol - one thread from 2 years ago on a site called applefanboys oO

plus i doubt your ipad is £580 now

Original Poster

csiman

lol - one thread from 2 years ago on a site called applefanboys oOplus i … lol - one thread from 2 years ago on a site called applefanboys oOplus i doubt your ipad is £580 now

It still is. Price never changes until next gen comes out. Stop being an irritating git.

Banned

seezyf

It still is. Price never changes until next gen comes out. Stop being an … It still is. Price never changes until next gen comes out. Stop being an irritating git.

lol
maybe stop asking for tips in fraud you imbecile

csiman

...I've decided to donate it as they can probably collect double the … ...I've decided to donate it as they can probably collect double the retail value on a good day. I will let you know next week what the final price was

Don't, I'm not remotely interested in hearing the second stage of your made-up story.

csiman

lolmaybe stop asking for tips in fraud you imbecile

This is the same member who has 15 Tesco accounts X)

Tesco fraudster

Banned

willhay555

Don't, I'm not remotely interested in hearing the second stage of your … Don't, I'm not remotely interested in hearing the second stage of your made-up story.

wtf

how come that shows as a quote from me?

My apologies.
Probably as a result of my poor editing skills on a small 3"-ish screen.

willhay555

My apologies.Probably as a result of my poor editing skills on a small … My apologies.Probably as a result of my poor editing skills on a small 3"-ish screen.

If only you had an iPad, you'd not have to struggle with a small screen. Think someone on here has one they want to sell

euphoricmess

If only you had an iPad, you'd not have to struggle with a small screen. … If only you had an iPad, you'd not have to struggle with a small screen. Think someone on here has one they want to sell

Haha.
Shamed its been whored around five different retailers in the last twelve hours.
It's practically used now

Did someone mention a stolen ipad?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants