Expired

Returning an ebay item that doesn't fit

Found 14th Nov 2014
Bought a hoodie off a seller on ebay but it turns out it's too small for me, the seller had a no returns policy, does that mean there isn't anything I can do?
I have tried messaging the seller but have had no response, just wondering if I have any options other than selling it on
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
If it's a business seller you have 7 days to return it, if it's not then your only allowed to return it if it's not as described. So if no returns policy and not business seller I would take it on the chin and sell it on. This is all assuming the hoodie was correctly described as the size it is and it's just that it's not your size rather than the description saying S then item being M etc.
ipodandlaptops

If it's a business seller you have 7 days to return it, if it's not then … If it's a business seller you have 7 days to return it, if it's not then your only allowed to return it if it's not as described. So if no returns policy and not business seller I would take it on the chin and sell it on. This is all assuming the hoodie was correctly described as the size it is and it's just that it's not your size rather than the description saying S then item being M etc.

Sounds like I don't have a leg to stand on, it's a medium as described it just doesn't fit me, ah well guess I'll sell it on
try the ebay return policy. if you paid with paypal u can return pretty much anything. say its to small and i think ebay will just send you through the process of returning the item. you will i think will have to pay the return charges on your side and get a tracking no. try parcel2go. inpost on there is very cheap compared to recorded delivery. as your return it a 3 day delivery is better than a next day, which will save you fees
If it is as described then just sell it on. The seller listed it correctly so I don't know if eBay would do anything anyway and I don't think it's fair on the seller who listed it correctly to deal with a returns when they've adhered to they're side of the deal.

Harsh as it may sound, if I were the seller, I'd be telling the buyer to jog on if its the size I said it was. But politely of course :p.
sell it on, dont try and rip the seller by putting in a claim
If they sold it through a Buy It Now listing then you have 14 days to open a case with Ebay. Simply use the returns procedure in Ebay and they have to take it back no matter what as long as it is in perfect condition and only tried on to check for size as you say.

You must do this within 14 days, however if they are a business seller Ebay are letting people opt in to a 30 day return policy during the Christmas period so check to see if the seller has opted into this if you are past your 14 days.

You do not have to return the item in 14 days, just let the seller know that you are returning it and then post it back to them asap, you will be responsible for return postage costs and send it via a tracked method to prove you have sent it.

Once the tracking states they have received it you will be refunded by Ebay, the seller cannot refuse to refund you unless you have damaged the item or it stinks of sweat or something.

deanos

sell it on, dont try and rip the seller by putting in a claim

How are they trying to rip off the seller? You are commenting on something you know nothing or very little about.

The DSR's are in place to protect buyers for situations like this. In the shop you can try an item on but when purchasing online you have no idea if it is going to fit or not because not all companies sizing are the same, a large in one may be more of a medium for a different brand.

It is the law that the buyer has 14 days to change their mind with 99% of items purchased online and clothing comes under this law (other than underwear for obvious reasons).

NEtech

How are they trying to rip off the seller? You are commenting on … How are they trying to rip off the seller? You are commenting on something you know nothing or very little about.The DSR's are in place to protect buyers for situations like this. In the shop you can try an item on but when purchasing online you have no idea if it is going to fit or not because not all companies sizing are the same, a large in one may be more of a medium for a different brand.It is the law that the buyer has 14 days to change their mind with 99% of items purchased online and clothing comes under this law (other than underwear for obvious reasons).

If its a private sale then DSR do not apply
deanos

If its a private sale then DSR do not apply

The OP never stated it was a private seller, hence why I asked if it was a Buy It Now listing, meaning a business seller.

You simply stated to the OP to stop trying to rip the seller off, why on earth would you think they are trying to rip someone off?
Private sellers can have BIN sales, by the way DSR do not exist anymore
deanos

Private sellers can have BIN sales, by the way DSR do not exist anymore

You know what I mean.

Also if the person is clearly buying to sell and is listed as a private seller you are still covered as they are breaking the law.
with regard to second goods the seller does not have to accept returns, so unless you get a 'nice' seller who lets you return it you are stuck with it. charity shop it?
NEtech

The OP never stated it was a private seller, hence why I asked if it was … The OP never stated it was a private seller, hence why I asked if it was a Buy It Now listing, meaning a business seller.You simply stated to the OP to stop trying to rip the seller off, why on earth would you think they are trying to rip someone off?

Because they got exactly what they asked for , why inconvenience the seller
Lose some weight?
snoopy18

Because they got exactly what they asked for , why inconvenience the … Because they got exactly what they asked for , why inconvenience the seller

Really? oO

I hope you never go into business and please stay away from selling on Ebay just in case I have the unfortunate pleasure of purchasing something from you.

I hope you also one day have to return something and come across a person with the same attitude as yourself, you will soon learn what is right and what is wrong in the world of business when the shoe is on the other foot.
Just to clarify can the OP let us all know whether this was a new or second hand top and was it from a private or business seller.

We are all putting our points forward here and the OP has not even had the decency to let us know the one thing that matters most.

P.S. OP, this thread is full of clueless tools who have never traded in their lives, according to them you may as well just bin that 60" TV you purchased 6 months ago that now has a black line down the middle......................because you are inconveniencing the seller and ripping them off by asking for a repair, refund or replacement.
NEtech

Really? oOI hope you never go into business and please stay away from … Really? oOI hope you never go into business and please stay away from selling on Ebay just in case I have the unfortunate pleasure of purchasing something from you.I hope you also one day have to return something and come across a person with the same attitude as yourself, you will soon learn what is right and what is wrong in the world of business when the shoe is on the other foot.

Not at all ,if I order something from someone who says no returns , and I think there is a chance it won't fit I would nt order from eBay ,I would go into a shop , unless I was happy to pay the lower amount and take a chance
Let me know your eBay id and I can put you on my blocked list
snoopy18

Not at all ,if I order something from someone who says no returns , and I … Not at all ,if I order something from someone who says no returns , and I think there is a chance it won't fit I would nt order from eBay ,I would go into a shop , unless I was happy to pay the lower amount and take a chanceLet me know your eBay id and I can put you on my blocked list

Dude don't worry, you will never have anything for sale that would interest me. Also if you order from someone who says no returns and they are a retailer/business then they are breaking the law.

As I said earlier, people who are commenting are clueless, they do not even know who the OP purchased off yet they are quick to give incorrect advice, unless the OP comes on and explains who sold it to them then all of this is pointless really.

Also why would you want to block a genuine Ebay member who abides by the law? Are you out to scam people and do not ever want to deal with customers who may one day need to return an item under the current law?

Are you a business or private seller? If you are a private seller then why would you wan to block me as I have no come back with a return anyway. If you are a business seller then the only reason you would want to block me is because you want to scam people and do not want to give customers a good service that is law in this country.

But please feel free to send me your ID so I can block you as you are clearly a person I never want to do business with.

Oh and for the record, I am a trader and deal with customer returns on a daily basis, that is why I am commenting here with the correct advice. I help my customers asap, I sometimes even send out other items without ever getting a return if their is a fault and I feel they are genuine. I even give a full 30 day money back guarantee instead if the basic 14 day.

So why you would ever want to block an Ebay member such as myself is beyond belief.

Now you stick to your local shops and market traders because e-commerce is a much better place without people such as yourself.

Have a nice day shopping down town today, after all it is Saturday.

Edited by: "NEtech" 15th Nov 2014
Please don't derail Trace6x's ask thread and remain courteous to other forum members at all times - later comments removed, please report any comments you feel breach code of conduct guidelines rather than requote or reply to them on the thread, thanks all.
NEtech

P.S. OP, this thread is full of clueless tools who have never traded in … P.S. OP, this thread is full of clueless tools who have never traded in their lives, according to them you may as well just bin that 60" TV you purchased 6 months ago that now has a black line down the middle......................because you are inconveniencing the seller and ripping them off by asking for a repair, refund or replacement.

To be fair, that's a completely different scenario.
Based on the item saying no returns, business sellers HAVE to accept returns now, if you're a business seller on eBay I read that eBay automatically make you accept returns so we can assume that because the item said no returns, it's a private seller. And even then eBay like to change it to returns accepted.
If the seller was a business seller then yes, you are correct the buyer can return the item, it's the law. However if it's a private seller, whether the top is new or used is irrelevant. The item came as described, correctly sized and in the described condition presumably, so in that case the private seller is able to specify no returns and not have to accept returns.
If however the top was listed as M and it was L or S then yes the buyer could return it for inaccurate description. Likewise if it said it was new and its worn then the buyer could also complain that it was not as described.

If it were me, buying from a private seller and the item I received was EXACTLY as described but, just didnt fit me, then I'd just sell it on, the seller did nothing wrong. And I'd hope that if I were selling an item of clothing and the buyer received it exactly as described, they'd have the decency to acknowledge that I listed it correctly and it was just unfortunate that the make of the top has slightly different sizing to a different company which is beyond my control. All I could do is list is as the specified size. I know some sellers say it's a small/big M etc but, it's not required to state this.
If it were a TV that became faulty that is a different matter as it would then be faulty and no longer as described. And even then, if it were a private seller I reckon it'd be hard to get a refund, unless it was stated as being a new item. If it were a business seller then of course you'd contact them.
Not everyone who is commenting is a tool.
I'm a private seller on eBay and those are the rules I play by. I know you're a business seller and yes, deal with returns daily but, private sellers dont and private sellers arent forced to accept returns. Especially if the item is exactly as described and as the OP has only commented saying the size is correct but, doesn't fit we are to assume everything else is as described as well.
kjcoolcat

Lose some weight?

It's a medium, it would put my health in danger to lose weight to fit into in, thank you very much.

Anyway thanks for the replies, the item was as described, the seller said no returns on the listing and did not reply to my message, It wouldn't be fair on the seller to make a fuss, I'll sell it on.

Oh it was a second hand auction, not from a business seller, some guy just selling his hoodie
Edited by: "Trace6x" 15th Nov 2014
Trace6x

It's a medium, it would put my health in danger to lose weight to fit … It's a medium, it would put my health in danger to lose weight to fit into in, thank you very much.Anyway thanks for the replies, the item was as described, the seller said no returns on the listing and did not reply to my message, It wouldn't be fair on the seller to make a fuss, I'll sell it on.Oh it was a second hand auction, not from a business seller, some guy just selling his hoodie

If being the size to fit into a medium puts your health at risk, why did you buy a medium?
bex85

To be fair, that's a completely different scenario.Based on the item … To be fair, that's a completely different scenario.Based on the item saying no returns, business sellers HAVE to accept returns now, if you're a business seller on eBay I read that eBay automatically make you accept returns so we can assume that because the item said no returns, it's a private seller. And even then eBay like to change it to returns accepted.If the seller was a business seller then yes, you are correct the buyer can return the item, it's the law. However if it's a private seller, whether the top is new or used is irrelevant. The item came as described, correctly sized and in the described condition presumably, so in that case the private seller is able to specify no returns and not have to accept returns.If however the top was listed as M and it was L or S then yes the buyer could return it for inaccurate description. Likewise if it said it was new and its worn then the buyer could also complain that it was not as described.If it were me, buying from a private seller and the item I received was EXACTLY as described but, just didnt fit me, then I'd just sell it on, the seller did nothing wrong. And I'd hope that if I were selling an item of clothing and the buyer received it exactly as described, they'd have the decency to acknowledge that I listed it correctly and it was just unfortunate that the make of the top has slightly different sizing to a different company which is beyond my control. All I could do is list is as the specified size. I know some sellers say it's a small/big M etc but, it's not required to state this.If it were a TV that became faulty that is a different matter as it would then be faulty and no longer as described. And even then, if it were a private seller I reckon it'd be hard to get a refund, unless it was stated as being a new item. If it were a business seller then of course you'd contact them. Not everyone who is commenting is a tool. I'm a private seller on eBay and those are the rules I play by. I know you're a business seller and yes, deal with returns daily but, private sellers dont and private sellers arent forced to accept returns. Especially if the item is exactly as described and as the OP has only commented saying the size is correct but, doesn't fit we are to assume everything else is as described as well.

Bex I was mortal last night, I have not even read over what I have posted. Apologies if I was out of order to all involved.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants