Returning an unwanted Fridge to Currys - that has been powered on

Posted 22nd Sep
I bought a fridge-freezer online (its not displayed in the local store) and when it was delivered, the delivery men unpackaged the fridge before it was placed into the property (my doorway was very small). I powered it on later that evening and later realised it wasn't as I had hoped it would be and I called Currys to return the item. However, they claim as it was powered on it is used and cannot be returned. Furthermore, they stated that perhaps the fridge is faulty (i mentioned the ice in the back of the fridge and general design being less than expected) and have arranged for an engineer.

However, I felt during the conversation they were stalling and pushing me down a certain route. For example, they requested the serial number that can only be found inside the fridge so I had to call back a few days later (however online it stated just have my order number ready before placing the call).

I tried reading about distance selling but I cannot see any strong case for Currys to accept the return, I cant see anything specific for bulky white goods

I now have a matter of days before the 14 days cooling off period expires, I would appreciate any suggestions how I can resolve this?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
You get 14 days to reasonably test it, that would imply it needs to be powered on and unpacked.

Which says

"Exemptions to online returnsThere are some circumstances where the Consumer Contracts Regulations won’t give you a right to cancel.

These include CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping, perishable items and tailor-made or personalised items. They also include goods with a seal for health protection and hygiene reasons that's been broken.

Also included are goods that have been mixed inseparably with other items after delivery."

I would also add if your returning it becuase you simply no longer want it, you can be charged the return delivery costs.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 22nd Sep
It maybe for hygiene reasons they can’t accept returns
If they stated that the fridge is faulty and 30 days hasn’t gone yet from hen you bought it then they have to accept the return with full refund.
Just refrain from telling them it wasn’t what you expected as it won’t take you anywhere. Stick to the fact the item is faulty. They will of course try to refuse but ask to speak to someone up their world and be sure it’ll be sorted
Call citizens advice in the morning, they will let you know your rights and what you can do.
Did you use a credit card. Unfit for purpose, section 75 claim
" hi I have changed my mind after using the fridge for a couple of days, would you mind being out of pocket so I can have my money back"
sfndkks22/09/2019 19:57

If they stated that the fridge is faulty and 30 days hasn’t gone yet from h …If they stated that the fridge is faulty and 30 days hasn’t gone yet from hen you bought it then they have to accept the return with full refund. Just refrain from telling them it wasn’t what you expected as it won’t take you anywhere. Stick to the fact the item is faulty. They will of course try to refuse but ask to speak to someone up their world and be sure it’ll be sorted

The thing is I don't think the fridge is faulty. I think it's a waste of time to go down that route. This is why I didn't like how I was pushed to describe attributes I didn't like about the fridge.
velvetpigeon22/09/2019 21:26

The thing is I don't think the fridge is faulty. I think it's a waste of …The thing is I don't think the fridge is faulty. I think it's a waste of time to go down that route. This is why I didn't like how I was pushed to describe attributes I didn't like about the fridge.

Just make up a fault that is hard to diagnose, for example:
The fridge randomly rattles that if it happened at night you’ll easily wake up.
The freezer at times and for no obvious reason goes to defrost mode causing you food wastage... etc
Curry’s tend to be difficult with returns so try this. It’s not nice they are refusing a return for something bought online and not seen in store
ding22/09/2019 20:43

" hi I have changed my mind after using the fridge for a couple of days, …" hi I have changed my mind after using the fridge for a couple of days, would you mind being out of pocket so I can have my money back"

Hi I would like to return the fridge within the 14 days cooling off period, powering a fridge on does not mean its been used.
If a business was out of pocket conforming to regulations they wouldn't get into that business.

Currys have weighed up the option of offering online purchase against the risks and have made a business decision to proceed.
MrSprkle22/09/2019 19:19

You get 14 days to reasonably test it, that would imply it needs to be …You get 14 days to reasonably test it, that would imply it needs to be powered on and unpacked.Which says"Exemptions to online returnsThere are some circumstances where the Consumer Contracts Regulations won’t give you a right to cancel.These include CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping, perishable items and tailor-made or personalised items. They also include goods with a seal for health protection and hygiene reasons that's been broken.Also included are goods that have been mixed inseparably with other items after delivery."I would also add if your returning it becuase you simply no longer want it, you can be charged the return delivery costs.

What shocked me is how returning the item was completely ignored and avoided.

I was prepared for them to knock some money off the refund because of inconvienience but I can't get them to even discuss return options.
velvetpigeon22/09/2019 21:34

What shocked me is how returning the item was completely ignored and …What shocked me is how returning the item was completely ignored and avoided.I was prepared for them to knock some money off the refund because of inconvienience but I can't get them to even discuss return options.

Put it in writing and keep evidence use something like resolver..
Remove frozen chips
Curry’s CPW the lot are a pain go deal with
Good luck! I recenly purchased a gaming chair for over £200 and a plastic shroud arrived damaged. I emailed to be told I'd get a reponse in 6 days, far too long in this day and age. I then called them and after waiting 30 mins just gave up. I ended up gluing the piece back together. If they ever do contact me I'll ask for a goodwill gesture but doubt I'll get it.
velvetpigeon22/09/2019 21:34

What shocked me is how returning the item was completely ignored and …What shocked me is how returning the item was completely ignored and avoided.I was prepared for them to knock some money off the refund because of inconvienience but I can't get them to even discuss return options.

You seem to know your stuff quite well.
Yes you have a 14 day cooling off period when buying something remotely - a period when you can simply change your mind.
Read this
citizensadvice.org.uk/cha…nd/

However, as you say they may have deliberately engineered a conversation so it appears that you are saying there is something wrong with it
Read this and press the start button and answer a couple of easy questions
citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ds/

I hope you have not shot yourself in the foot. I know these things are a pain in the backside but I find when this sort of thing happens it is far better to do everything in writing, keeping copies and sending by post signed for. Use e-mails if you really must but a properly written letter speaks volumes.
As someone else said Citizens Advice can help but act quickly.
Good Luck.
If you bought it online you got 14days cooling off period....don't matter you turned it on....ask what they told you in writing and get the name of the person....they will soon change their tune.
citizensadvice.org.uk/cha…nd/
Edited by: "Adam786123" 23rd Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants