Expired

Returning dell laptop? (It isnt faulty)

Found 28th Apr 2013
i bought a laptop from the dell website and am not really happy with it
it was delivered on tuesday (23rd)

would i be able to get a refund on this? if so how do i? i cant see any info about it on the dell site

nothing is wrong with the laptop its just im not really happy with it.
the screen is meh, the boot time is awful and i cant clean install due to the windows 8 key being on the bios or something like that
Community Updates
22 Comments
business or personal site on dell?
Original Poster
harlzter

business or personal site on dell?

personal

brand new laptop
Not if you opened it and used it.
Original Poster
CouldntThinkOfAUsername

Not if you opened it and used it.

not sure but i believe you are allowed to open and use it before sending it back
Talib

not sure but i believe you are allowed to open and use it before sending … not sure but i believe you are allowed to open and use it before sending it back

what you asking for then?
Original Poster
longbowassassin

what you asking for then?

notice i said ''not sure''
I sent a Dell PC back if that helps, I just told them I wasn't happy with it. They actually told me they would give me some money to keep it but I said no and they arranged collection.

Banned
RustySpoons

I sent a Dell PC back if that helps, I just told them I wasn't happy with … I sent a Dell PC back if that helps, I just told them I wasn't happy with it. They actually told me they would give me some money to keep it but I said no and they arranged collection.

Did they? how much?
Original Poster
RustySpoons

I sent a Dell PC back if that helps, I just told them I wasn't happy with … I sent a Dell PC back if that helps, I just told them I wasn't happy with it. They actually told me they would give me some money to keep it but I said no and they arranged collection.

lol when was this? how much did they offer?
Talib

lol when was this? how much did they offer?

A couple of years back, offered to give me £200 back, was a £1,200 PC with IPS Monitor, but I wasn't impressed with the build quality.

Dell are like 3 Mobile, they will do anything to keep your custom lol.
Edited by: "RustySpoons" 28th Apr 2013
dont think so
im not sure but matbe you get 14 day trial period like you do with some mobile phone companys worth a phone call i say
Phone them, I think you yet 1 week under distance selling?
You hav ethe right to return it under the distance selling regs.

magicbeans

dont think so

You can. That's what most of the 'refurbs' are on the Dell outlet site - They're not actual refurbs, they're just reset customer returns from people who have just changed their minds or don't really like it.
aha, tnx deeky.
Deeky's absolutely correct. However, dell may demand a restocking fee since you're returning it without fault. I think the fee is around 15%. It may have changed but they tried that on me about a year ago. Worst comes to the worst, you can definitely return it as long as its within 7 business days.
Depending on the system, you may or may not be eligible for a refund under the distance selling act's 7 day cooling off period. This only applies to standard builds, though. Custom items aren't covered. On that case, you're bound by the terms you agreed to at purchase.
Original Poster
cheaperbythe12

Deeky's absolutely correct. However, dell may demand a restocking fee … Deeky's absolutely correct. However, dell may demand a restocking fee since you're returning it without fault. I think the fee is around 15%. It may have changed but they tried that on me about a year ago. Worst comes to the worst, you can definitely return it as long as its within 7 business days.

Damn 15% is alot tbh

Anyway i phoned them up and they were happy to accept a return, not only that but they are collecting it for free.
As i complained a few days earlier (via email) about not being able to install windows 7 or 8 on the system i think they are classing that as a fault even though i told them on the phone that i don't think the system is faulty

Trouble is they haven't sent me a postage label? Does the courier bring the postage label with them?

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies
Edited by: "Talib" 30th Apr 2013
Nice one Talib, that's good news and I think you were quite lucky as you didn't have to pay anything for a working machine to be returned. I guess it also depends who you speak to as the first guy I spoke to when I needed a return was so unhelpful and also quoting restocking fees. I later spoke to someone else and it was a different matter with no mention of the restocking fee, just that I had to pay a £20 return courier fee.

Yes, the courier brings a return label and puts it on the box. All you have to do is pack it up as it was packed by Dell and seal it with tape. Will likely be UPS who collect but may possible be UK Mail.
Original Poster
cheaperbythe12

Nice one Talib, that's good news and I think you were quite lucky as you … Nice one Talib, that's good news and I think you were quite lucky as you didn't have to pay anything for a working machine to be returned. I guess it also depends who you speak to as the first guy I spoke to when I needed a return was so unhelpful and also quoting restocking fees. I later spoke to someone else and it was a different matter with no mention of the restocking fee, just that I had to pay a £20 return courier fee.Yes, the courier brings a return label and puts it on the box. All you have to do is pack it up as it was packed by Dell and seal it with tape. Will likely be UPS who collect but may possible be UK Mail.

Thanks

I actually just received the refund yesterday. I have always heard terrible things about dells customer support but after the great support i received from them i cant fault them at all

im probably going to look out for a good deal at dell outlet now
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants