returning faulty electrical item to argos

Found 22nd Nov 2015
I bought an iron from Argos 18 months ago which has a manufacture 2 year warranty . The Iron has now broken, it will not turn on. Will argos tell me I have to contact manufacture as its over 1 year or will/should they send it for repair. I still have original box and receipt . Thanks for any help
Community Updates
AskElectronics
29 Comments
you need to contact the manufacturer,
yes ring manufactures . what make is it .. argos wont do any think
Argos sold it to you so you can take it back to them to sort out. It's your consumer rights.
You might get a good and/or quicker response from the manufacturer. But your legal redress is against the supplier i.e. Argos. You have no contract in law with the manufacturer so you can only ask - but cannot insist - on them helping. Under common (consumer) law - i.e. a legal precedent set by a judge - suppliers are obliged to repair an item for up to 6 years after the date of purchase, depending on certain factors like how much use its had and its cost - the Citizen's Advice Bureau can help on this.

Any problems, then you can ask for a refund if you paid by debit or credit card under the Chargeback scheme which applies to items costing under £100. The card provider will send you a form to complete. This is probably the easiest way to get a refund, which I have used successfully several times. The provider will usually recover the money from the supplier.

Edited by: "RayB" 23rd Nov 2015
RayB

You might get a good and/or quicker response from the manufacturer. But … You might get a good and/or quicker response from the manufacturer. But your legal redress is against the supplier i.e. Argos. You have no contract in law with the manufacturer so you can only ask them to help.

That's what I was thinking, it's just as its 18 months old im guessing argos might say contact manufacture, it clearly states in their description 2 year guarantee . Any idea what I should say when I take it back if they say contact manufacture ? It was only £45 but I'm thinking it says 2 years so why should I buy new one when it's still in warranty
RayB

You might get a good and/or quicker response from the manufacturer. But … You might get a good and/or quicker response from the manufacturer. But your legal redress is against the supplier i.e. Argos. You have no contract in law with the manufacturer so you can only ask - but cannot insist - on them helping. Under common (consumer) law - i.e. a legal precedent set by a judge - suppliers are obliged to repair an item for up to 6 years after the date of purchase, depending on certain factors like how much use its had and its cost - the Citizen's Advice Bureau can help on this. Any problems, then you can ask for a refund if you paid by debit or credit card under the Chargeback scheme which applies to items costing under £100. The card provider will send you a form to complete. This is probably the easiest way to get a refund, which I have used successfully several times. The provider will usually recover the money from the supplier.

Thanks for that, will give it a try tomorrow in Argos, and stand my ground making the points you mention. I always thought it was items over £100 you could claim back so will try that if no joy with Argos. It's not the money (although obviously I don't want to spend more when I don't have to) it's principle that it says 2 years guarantee . Luckily I still have box and receipt so that should make it easier.
debmm - I know you've already marked a best answer, but just to say that in my experience, Argos is one of the best shops for returns. I have returned several large and small electrical items to them over the years, and almost every time they issue a refund (often to a gift card) without fuss. One time I had to phone Argos Head Office to confirm a 2 year warranty (they checked their old catalogue records) and they informed my local Argos branch. By the way, is it a Philips as they usually give 2 year guarantees I think.
Just to add that I have returned items to Argos after 1 year of purchase but before expiry of a 2 year warranty, and they have refunded no problem.
debmm - to answer your question, just say its under a 2-years guarantee and if Argos say to claim against the manufacturer, say that you cannot legally make such a claim because your contract is with Argos. Argos have a contract with the manufacturer but your contract is with Argos. Then ask them for a repair, replacement or refund or decide which of those you prefer and just ask for that. Under consumer law you are probably only entitled to a repair but the 2 year guarantee might offer you more. Over the Knee said he got a refund within the 2-years guarantee so you could ask for that if its what you want.

I agree with Over The Knee, that Argos are usually good at dealing with problems like yours, although it may depend on who serves you! They usually give gift vouchers which means you have to spend them at Argos!
Over The Knee

debmm - I know you've already marked a best answer, but just to say that … debmm - I know you've already marked a best answer, but just to say that in my experience, Argos is one of the best shops for returns. I have returned several large and small electrical items to them over the years, and almost every time they issue a refund (often to a gift card) without fuss. One time I had to phone Argos Head Office to confirm a 2 year warranty (they checked their old catalogue records) and they informed my local Argos branch. By the way, is it a Philips as they usually give 2 year guarantees I think.

]

Just would like to say that I have had the opposite experience with Argos, and for that reason no longer buy electronics from them. I had to argue the point with an assistant and the manager to get a replacement laptop for my sister after she'd only had it a few days, they wanted to send it for repair. There was no way I was going to accept a repair (which could take weeks/months) instead of a replacement. The manager grudgingly accepted in the end that I was entitled to a replacement, but after that experience with them I no longer shop there unless it's for non-technical goods.
Edited by: "paddy.stone" 23rd Nov 2015
paddy.stone

]Just would like to say that I have had the opposite experience with … ]Just would like to say that I have had the opposite experience with Argos, and for that reason no longer buy electronics from them. I had to argue the point with an assistant and the manager to get a replacement laptop for my sister after she'd only had it a few days, they wanted to send it for repair. There was no way I was going to accept a repair (which could take weeks/months) instead of a replacement. The manager grudgingly accepted in the end that I was entitled to a replacement, but after that experience with them I no longer shop there unless it's for non-technical goods.

I certainly agree that Argos are far from perfect. I've had a few encounters with difficult managers / staff who seem to make it their mission to be obstructive, but it's usually resolved by simply going to a different Argos branch where the staff are in a better mood! Having said this, I nearly always buy large electrical items (and most other things) from John Lewis, as I have found their customer service second to none.

I wonder how the OP got on with returning their iron to Argos?
Yes, hope the OP had less hassle than me

The problem with taking the defective item(s) to another Argos for me is that there is only 1 in my vicinity and that's 10 miles away, which is where we bought it from in the first place. The next nearest is 22 miles away (also the only 1 in town), and then the next are 35 miles away (though I do believe there are 2 or 3 in that location as it's a city. All of those options by the way are in different directions to each other. So you can understand after the run in with that complete £$£$ of a manager why I just stay clear of buying anything even remotely electrical from Argos now... but hey, never mind Amazon are now the main retailer reaping the rewards of mine and the other 9 people in my immediate family's business, and their respective families too. We also purchase from John Lewis on occasion, as they are also quite good at having half decent customer services in the event they are needed.
Edited by: "paddy.stone" 24th Nov 2015
paddy.stone

Yes, hope the OP had less hassle than me :)The problem with taking the … Yes, hope the OP had less hassle than me :)The problem with taking the defective item(s) to another Argos for me is that there is only 1 in my vicinity and that's 10 miles away, which is where we bought it from in the first place. The next nearest is 22 miles away (also the only 1 in town), and then the next are 35 miles away (though I do believe there are 2 or 3 in that location as it's a city. All of those options by the way are in different directions to each other. So you can understand after the run in with that complete £$£$ of a manager why I just stay clear of buying anything even remotely electrical from Argos now... but hey, never mind Amazon are now the main retailer reaping the rewards of mine and the other 9 people in my immediate family's business, and their respective families too. We also purchase from John Lewis on occasion, as they are also quite good at having half decent customer services in the event they are needed.

Oh I see, I understand completely. Here in north London, it's pretty easy to drive to another Argos branch within a few miles of each other. It's just a shame - for Argos - that the difficult people you encountered caused Argos to lose so much potential business. Not good business sense at all, but then the manager hasn't got the same stake in Argos as the CEO / main shareholders. These type of people are everywhere, unfortunately, not just Argos. (There are even some in John Lewis!)

Amazon have amazing customer service, but I'm scared of the possibility of being 'banned' in the (unlikely but possible) event that a few too many items develop faults and have to be returned. Also John Lewis have 2 year warranty periods as standard for all electrical items (I think) and sometimes 3 years; it's 5 years for TVs etc.
Over The Knee

I certainly agree that Argos are far from perfect. I've had a few … I certainly agree that Argos are far from perfect. I've had a few encounters with difficult managers / staff who seem to make it their mission to be obstructive, but it's usually resolved by simply going to a different Argos branch where the staff are in a better mood! Having said this, I nearly always buy large electrical items (and most other things) from John Lewis, as I have found their customer service second to none.I wonder how the OP got on with returning their iron to Argos?

I worked late yesterday so argos was shut so hopefully will be returning today. I will post how I got on, fingers crossed. I will be all smiley and polite and hopefully get an understanding member of staff. Friend told me she always buys the 3 year insurance with argos as her irons never last and with that they always exchange it on the spot, I have checked out the insurance and underneath it says "Your statutory rights will not be affected when you buy a plan. These include the right to claim a refund, repair, or replacement up to six years if your electrical goods were not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose when they were sold to you." So armed with this info from their web site don't see how they can refuse a repair.
Over The Knee

I certainly agree that Argos are far from perfect. I've had a few … I certainly agree that Argos are far from perfect. I've had a few encounters with difficult managers / staff who seem to make it their mission to be obstructive, but it's usually resolved by simply going to a different Argos branch where the staff are in a better mood! Having said this, I nearly always buy large electrical items (and most other things) from John Lewis, as I have found their customer service second to none.I wonder how the OP got on with returning their iron to Argos?

I buy larger/more expensive electrical items from john Lewis too, just use argos for smaller /cheaper items that need asap as my argos is nearby whereas john Lewis is a train ride away for me.
I had to return a tefal generator iron to argos for a friend (steam generator one) they no longer had the model so offered a refund on a gift cars minus £60 off of te original
Price for wear and tear.
Iron was 18months old, no box. She Tried in two branches for a outcome but try wouldn't comply- third store was my local and they were more than happy. Think it just depends on the jobsworth who serves you
Over The Knee

Oh I see, I understand completely. Here in north London, it's pretty … Oh I see, I understand completely. Here in north London, it's pretty easy to drive to another Argos branch within a few miles of each other. It's just a shame - for Argos - that the difficult people you encountered caused Argos to lose so much potential business. Not good business sense at all, but then the manager hasn't got the same stake in Argos as the CEO / main shareholders. These type of people are everywhere, unfortunately, not just Argos. (There are even some in John Lewis!)Amazon have amazing customer service, but I'm scared of the possibility of being 'banned' in the (unlikely but possible) event that a few too many items develop faults and have to be returned. Also John Lewis have 2 year warranty periods as standard for all electrical items (I think) and sometimes 3 years; it's 5 years for TVs etc.

I recently totted up my Amazon returns for the past 6 years or so.. it was 1 item out of something like 800 items bought (can't remember now the number, but was at least that). The returns by the way don't count faulty items as far as I know, after all you can't be expected to know if it's going to be faulty. Even including faulty replaced/refunded items it was still only 5 maybe.
I think they're more inclined to ban people that use it as a testing service, like if they don't know if they actually want the item. I've only ever asked for a refund or different item than the previous faulty item if it seemed like the model number had an inherent fault, that would most likely show up again on a replacement also.
Oh, I forgot, I also had a couple of times items sent that I never received and by the time I realized they weren't going to actually show up I didn't want them any more, once because was for a present and couldn't wait any longer (it'd been more than 3 weeks), and once for a graphics card that I was waiting on for my new computer build, that one I had to make a trip into the city to get instead but again couldn't wait any longer. Never did find out what happened there, whether they got lost in post or whether postie or courier put in the bin or something stupid.
Edited by: "paddy.stone" 24th Nov 2015
Over The Knee

Good news, argos gave me money back, albeit on an argos card. They checked my iron had 2 year warranty and did say normally they would say I had to contact manufacture but they would refund me this time. Must admit I was ready to fight the "contact manufacture" point but didnt need to. I was very polite and made general conversation about how cold it was that sort of thing whilst I got iron out of bag ,maybe that got her on my side, who knows. Have now purchased a replacement one from argos.
Thanks for everyone's comments. Went to argos today armed with all your advise. They refunded price of iron onto an argos card and I immediatly purchased a new iron, happy endings, only thing is I now have no excuse not to iron !
Why people think they need to walk into shops with their 'i want to speak to a manager haircut' and be armed with 5000 pages of consumer act info when all you need to do is speak to the shopfloor staff with reason and they will bormally sort it out without fuss, as in this case. Customer is not king jut merely part of the commercial food chain.
Glad you got it sorted.
debmm

Thanks for everyone's comments. Went to argos today armed with all your … Thanks for everyone's comments. Went to argos today armed with all your advise. They refunded price of iron onto an argos card and I immediatly purchased a new iron, happy endings, only thing is I now have no excuse not to iron !

Glad you got it sorted with no trouble
paddy.stone

I recently totted up my Amazon returns for the past 6 years or so.. it … I recently totted up my Amazon returns for the past 6 years or so.. it was 1 item out of something like 800 items bought (can't remember now the number, but was at least that). The returns by the way don't count faulty items as far as I know, after all you can't be expected to know if it's going to be faulty. Even including faulty replaced/refunded items it was still only 5 maybe.I think they're more inclined to ban people that use it as a testing service, like if they don't know if they actually want the item. I've only ever asked for a refund or different item than the previous faulty item if it seemed like the model number had an inherent fault, that would most likely show up again on a replacement also.Oh, I forgot, I also had a couple of times items sent that I never received and by the time I realized they weren't going to actually show up I didn't want them any more, once because was for a present and couldn't wait any longer (it'd been more than 3 weeks), and once for a graphics card that I was waiting on for my new computer build, that one I had to make a trip into the city to get instead but again couldn't wait any longer. Never did find out what happened there, whether they got lost in post or whether postie or courier put in the bin or something stupid.

Thanks for this. You sure buy a lot of stuff from Amazon! About 11 items a month by the looks of it (yes I used a calculator)! Sounds like you've got a sensible approach for buying stuff there, and perhaps I'll consider them for the odd electrical item in future, in addition to all the stationery and other bits I buy there. (I did buy a mobile phone, expensive shaver and cordless phone set from Amazon earlier this year.)

For me though, I still think John Lewis has better and longer warranties for electricals, and of course you can buy from them online. Thanks again for your reply.
debmm

Good news, argos gave me money back, albeit on an argos card. They … Good news, argos gave me money back, albeit on an argos card. They checked my iron had 2 year warranty and did say normally they would say I had to contact manufacture but they would refund me this time. Must admit I was ready to fight the "contact manufacture" point but didnt need to. I was very polite and made general conversation about how cold it was that sort of thing whilst I got iron out of bag ,maybe that got her on my side, who knows. Have now purchased a replacement one from argos.

Glad to hear it. Well done!

The 'contact manufacturer' point sounds like they don't know what they're talking about though - I've never been asked to do this by Argos (although I have been by Amazon) - and if they had insisted, I would (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) have simply gone to another Argos! Your branch pretended it was a 'goodwill gesture'!

Anyway, glad it ended up with you getting a new iron!
Over The Knee

Thanks for this. You sure buy a lot of stuff from Amazon! About 11 … Thanks for this. You sure buy a lot of stuff from Amazon! About 11 items a month by the looks of it (yes I used a calculator)! Sounds like you've got a sensible approach for buying stuff there, and perhaps I'll consider them for the odd electrical item in future, in addition to all the stationery and other bits I buy there. (I did buy a mobile phone, expensive shaver and cordless phone set from Amazon earlier this year.)For me though, I still think John Lewis has better and longer warranties for electricals, and of course you can buy from them online. Thanks again for your reply.

Yeah, seems like a lot but really isn't... don't forget that "items bought" from Amazon include things like free e-books and music too, and now apps also. Although I haven't bought many apps, I did used to "buy" free music downloads and e-books. I'd say on average I buy 4-6 things from Amazon a month, but like you some of those things are stationary type items or other small purchases. I bought a TV from them back in 2011 that is still going strong, and also a PS4 last year and get most of my computer components from them, including systems I build for other people. I am thinking of John Lewis for my next TV purchase though, depending on if they have the model that I want.
paddy.stone

Glad you got it sorted with no trouble

Me too I recently bought a new TV from John Lewis, must say couldn't fault their service, very happy with TV and they priced matched with Tesco and 5 year guarantee .dont think I would get same service with argos.
hI all,would be grateful for advise, returning faulty hand held Black/Decker vac,I have the receipt,vac has a 2year guarantee,ive had the vac for 15months ,im getting conflicting advise on various sites as to wether i can return to Argos store or manufacturer ,also does anyone know if i must return this to the original store or to any Argos stores? Thanks for reading!
As with most faulty goods you take them back to the seller as they are responsible in law. This applies to the manufacturer's guarantee as the seller sold that guarantee with the product to you. You have no contract with the manufacturer so they are not legally liable; your contract is with the seller. However, I have contacted the manufactures before, about faults and it has been worthwhile as they volunteered to provide a remedy e.g. a replacement, so there's no harm in asking them if Argos are being difficult. Moral is don't shop at Argos. My 4 X £10 Argos gift cards expired by a few days because I was abroad but Argos would not entertain any remedy. Gift cards should not have expiry dates as they are effectively cash - which you can ONLY spend at the nominated store - and as far as I am concerned expiry dates on gift cards are nothing more than an excuse for daylight robbery!

You can go to any Argos store but if they refuse, they are just fobbing you off - another reason not to shop at Argos. I had a B&D hand-held once - I took it straight back for a refund as it was highly ineffective, it hardly picked up anything. Complain, complain, complain, otherwise sellers will continue to try and palm us off with poor products at high prices. E.G. I would not pay more than £100 for any vacuum cleaner. Its only since Dyson started selling them at over £200 than the American firm Shark started promoting theirs in the UK at their high prices.
Edited by: "RayB" 11th Nov
annbuddah12th Sep

hI all,would be grateful for advise, returning faulty hand held …hI all,would be grateful for advise, returning faulty hand held Black/Decker vac,I have the receipt,vac has a 2year guarantee,ive had the vac for 15months ,im getting conflicting advise on various sites as to wether i can return to Argos store or manufacturer ,also does anyone know if i must return this to the original store or to any Argos stores? Thanks for reading!

seeing as you have asked basically the same question as the op, I would suggest reading the thread
chocci7 h, 51 m ago

seeing as you have asked basically the same question as the op, I would …seeing as you have asked basically the same question as the op, I would suggest reading the thread

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants