Expired

Returning flubit order 15% restocking fee?

Found 12th Feb 2015
Is this standard or not? I ordered something from flubit, decided i no longer want it. Got in touch with flubit and they said i have to pay postage + 15% re-stocking fee. This will leave me at about 25% less then i paid for the item, for simply returning it.
Community Updates
31 Comments
Seems fair to me. You put them through a certain expense, surely they are entitled to claim some back.
I'm am not sure that is legal, but do check the terms and conditions that you signed up to when you made the purchase, then take it further from there, perhaps via your local trading standards or the citizens advice, if you paid via credit card, then also consider contacting your credit card company.
redcantona

Seems fair to me. You put them through a certain expense, surely they are … Seems fair to me. You put them through a certain expense, surely they are entitled to claim some back.

I'm sending it back almost identically to how i received it. No cellophane to put back on since it had none to begin with. It would be more fair if they said they will assess the item and then give you a fair "re-stocking" price.

In my opinion they should be willing to accept the potential small loss in favor of the large potential that the item won't be sent back.

I personally don't like that type of customer service, regardless of your opinion on the subject. This is the first time i have ever returned something and had to pay re-stocking fee. I'm looking for people's first hand experience on the matter. I'm wondering if it has happened to others, or just happens to some people.

If this is standard, i probably won't shop there again. There is better customer services out there worth paying that bit extra for in the knowledge that if you change your mind/ order not up to standard ect, you can send it back without having to give away quarter of the amount you paid for it originally.
If you are using the DSR to return then the restocking fee is illegal if its not for bespoke goods.
Argoj

If you are using the DSR to return then the restocking fee is illegal if … If you are using the DSR to return then the restocking fee is illegal if its not for bespoke goods.

What does DSR stand for? Sending back a motherboard by the way.
RyanBest

What does DSR stand for? Sending back a motherboard by the way.

Distance selling regulations, if you do not know what they are just google it.
How does this fit in with distance selling regs which gives you 14 days to return any item for a full refund (excluding postage)?

Personally I don't touch flubit with a bargepole, all when downhill a while ago, then got offered items which were out of stock and given offers more expensive than the actual price. Took two weeks to reply to emails then get a one line senseless response.
nickc74

How does this fit in with distance selling regs which gives you 14 days … How does this fit in with distance selling regs which gives you 14 days to return any item for a full refund (excluding postage)? Personally I don't touch flubit with a bargepole, all when downhill a while ago, then got offered items which were out of stock and given offers more expensive than the actual price. Took two weeks to reply to emails then get a one line senseless response.

i got in touch before the 14 days, but ive left it for a bit because i didn't know what to do. Will this be an issue? I remember reading somewhere on flubit that i had 14 days to return an order for a refund. It never mentioned anything about a 15% restocking fee.
RyanBest

i got in touch before the 14 days, but ive left it for a bit because i … i got in touch before the 14 days, but ive left it for a bit because i didn't know what to do. Will this be an issue? I remember reading somewhere on flubit that i had 14 days to return an order for a refund. It never mentioned anything about a 15% restocking fee.

Given that they take weeks to respond that should be the basis of your argument, that you contacted them to inform of refund with in 14 days.
When i got in contact with them, i got a reply about 3 days later, which delayed it even further. I'm wondering if they did that so it doesn't fall into the 14 day return guarantee?
How much will sending a motherboard back, cost, any ideas? I'm going to use the post office.

Edited by: "Trick1" 12th Feb 2015
You have 14 days to notify a company of your intention to return an item. The retailer has 30 days from your notice to issue a full refund. You have no legal obligation to return within 30 days.

Charging any return fee - unless the retailer could prove the item is made-to-order and therefore cannot be resold - is illegal under Distance Selling Regulations and Sale of Goods Act.

There you go - all you need to know.
RyanBest

When i got in contact with them, i got a reply about 3 days later, which … When i got in contact with them, i got a reply about 3 days later, which delayed it even further. I'm wondering if they did that so it doesn't fall into the 14 day return guarantee?How much will sending a motherboard back, cost, any ideas? I'm going to use the post office.

Will cost quite a lot . I think £2.80 ish if very small parcel or £30-£40 if massive parcel . And surfboards aren't small
They will have to test the mobo before they resell it as you could have swapped it out. Seems fair to charge for the hassle of doing that

It was a motherboard not a surfboard!

steve543

Will cost quite a lot . I think £2.80 ish if very small parcel or £30-£40 … Will cost quite a lot . I think £2.80 ish if very small parcel or £30-£40 if massive parcel . And surfboards aren't small

emodan

They will have to test the mobo before they resell it as you could have … They will have to test the mobo before they resell it as you could have swapped it out. Seems fair to charge for the hassle of doing that

may seem fair - doesnt mean its legal
RyanBest

i got in touch before the 14 days, but ive left it for a bit because i … i got in touch before the 14 days, but ive left it for a bit because i didn't know what to do. Will this be an issue?

You can't pick and choose the bits of the Consumer Contracts Regulations that you want to rely on. You have 14 days after you notify the seller of your intention to cancel to return the item for a full refund with no re-stocking fee. So how long is 'a bit'?

DSR are no more.
ceres

You can't pick and choose the bits of the Consumer Contracts Regulations … You can't pick and choose the bits of the Consumer Contracts Regulations that you want to rely on. You have 14 days after you notify the seller of your intention to cancel to return the item for a full refund with no re-stocking fee. So how long is 'a bit'?DSR are no more.

Can't fully remember, but contacted them about 8 days after i got it, and then they got in touch about 3 days later, then ive left it for about 3 days now. Also, i'm not picking and choosing anything. I'm just asking for advice lol
GrantG182

You have no legal obligation to return within 30 days.

If you intend to rely on the Consumer Contracts Regulations (they superceded the Distance Selling Regulations last Summer) for a full refund, then you have to return the item within 14 days of notifying the seller you intend to cancel.
DistortedVision

It was a motherboard not a surfboard!

Ok
Just wanted to post a follow up. I sent them an email saying i was not happy paying a re-stocking fee. They got back and said if the item was returned as it was sent i would receive a full refund. Today i got an email letting me know i will receive a full refund.
Goodwill gesture.
ceres

Goodwill gesture.

You call getting a full refund on a sent back item that was exactly how it was sent, a goodwill gesture?
RyanBest

You call getting a full refund on a sent back item that was exactly how … You call getting a full refund on a sent back item that was exactly how it was sent, a goodwill gesture?

Yes. If you didn't return it within 14 days, they are under no obligation to refund you at all. So they made a goodwill gesture.
ceres

Yes. If you didn't return it within 14 days, they are under no obligation … Yes. If you didn't return it within 14 days, they are under no obligation to refund you at all. So they made a goodwill gesture.

Thing is though, i contacted them fairly soon after i got it and i got a delayed reply some days later. Had there been no delay it would have been sent and received within the 14 days. I had no option other then to wait for a reply as i needed them to tell me the name of the address to return it to.
Edited by: "Trick1" 20th Feb 2015
ceres

Yes. If you didn't return it within 14 days, they are under no obligation … Yes. If you didn't return it within 14 days, they are under no obligation to refund you at all. So they made a goodwill gesture.

A buyer only has to notify the seller of an intention to return goods within 14 days of receipt.
The goods do not have to be physically returned in this time.
missleading

A buyer only has to notify the seller of an intention to return goods … A buyer only has to notify the seller of an intention to return goods within 14 days of receipt.The goods do not have to be physically returned in this time.

Posts #16 and #18.
ceres

Posts #16 and #18.

on post #16 you say "You have 14 days after you notify the seller of your intention to cancel to return the item" yet post #23 you say "If you didn't return it within 14 days, they are under no obligation to refund you at all" please make up you mind. I don't know why you're still debating it, you've been proven wrong by the fact i received a FULL refund even after sending it back after the 14 days had passed.

I don't know why you believe it was a good will gesture when no one has even mentioned a good will gesture, aka me or the company.
RyanBest

on post #16 you say "You have 14 days after you notify the seller of your … on post #16 you say "You have 14 days after you notify the seller of your intention to cancel to return the item" yet post #23 you say "If you didn't return it within 14 days, they are under no obligation to refund you at all" please make up you mind. I don't know why you're still debating it, you've been proven wrong by the fact i received a FULL refund even after sending it back after the 14 days had passed. I don't know why you believe it was a good will gesture when no one has even mentioned a good will gesture, aka me or the company.

Post #23 is part of an ongoing discussion in a thread in which I've already explicitly stated TWICE (a whole 5 posts ago) the legal requirements for a full refund. I know and understand the law in this respect. You don't. If you didn't return the item within 14 days of notifying the seller of your intention to return (happy now :p) you were not legally entitled to a full refund. That means under the law they did not have to refund you. If you were lucky enough to get a full refund, they made a goodwill gesture, whether they were explicit about it or not.

Edited by: "ceres" 20th Feb 2015
You're totally incorrect. If it was a good will gesture they would have at least mentioned it being so. But nope, flubit customer services let me know it was a full refund. Yes a refund for a returned item, not a good will gesture. Going by your knowledge they are entitled to charge me for a product, get it returned and keep the money, which is illegal.
I would quite safely say re-stocking fees are not illegal especially as by offering to by a item you are agreeing to the terms and conditions which would almost certainly mention this, its the customers fault for not reading terms and conditions before blinding getting into a contract to buy
cokezone1112

I would quite safely say re-stocking fees are not illegal especially as … I would quite safely say re-stocking fees are not illegal especially as by offering to by a item you are agreeing to the terms and conditions which would almost certainly mention this, its the customers fault for not reading terms and conditions before blinding getting into a contract to buy

Nope, that was never mentioned. All it says is you have a 14 day to return the item, or something along those lines. However this thread is no longer needs replies, but thanks to everyone who did reply.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions