EXPIRED

Returning items to play.com

Bought this Samsung DVD-1080P7/XEU DVD Player With HDMI 1080p Upscaling from play for £49.99 on 20/3/08

its rubbish and keeps crashing and coming up with a blue screen / lack of audio
so i dont want it anymore and want a refund

I contacted play and they emailed me back today saying they wont accept it back as its over 30days and told me to contact samsung - but im sure theres some legal thingy that allows me to return it to them and get a refund

Daniel

22 Comments

my daughter has just pointed at your avator and said "That is a wicked man, isn't it. he is a monster" lol

Original Poster

Link to item on play - no longer sold so as they cant replace it dont i get a refund
]http//ww…tml

blackpeppa;2870407

my daughter has just pointed at your avator and said "That is a wicked … my daughter has just pointed at your avator and said "That is a wicked man, isn't it. he is a monster" lol

She must be on here a lot

Sale of goods act
they have to repair it or give you a full refund
it's NOT down to the manufacturer, it's down to the shop you bought it from, although a lof of shops will TRY and tell you otherwise
just quote sale of goods act at them
you can find all the relevant legislation online

There is a time limit on rejecting goods and asking for a refund but I think it's less than 30 days

your stuffed... you will need to take it up with samsung.

Chances of you getting a full refund are very low

pretty sure the 30 day thing is true.

I got one from amazon,hdmi dont work, they said normally would replace but bcause of size etc may be easier to contact sony. tried that but theyre ignoring me so im back at amazon.

Because I initially contacted them within the 30 days I have a leg to stand on. if I'd waited 3 days I wouldnt.

Might be a bit like the Xbox 360, after 28 days at most places you have to contact Msoft if faulty.

I returned a Toshiba HD player 3 days after it crashed and burned, I had only bought it 3 weeks before, so was in the 30 days.

karenhornby;2870419

Sale of goods actthey have to repair it or give you a full refundit's NOT … Sale of goods actthey have to repair it or give you a full refundit's NOT down to the manufacturer, it's down to the shop you bought it from, although a lof of shops will TRY and tell you otherwisejust quote sale of goods act at themyou can find all the relevant legislation onlineThere is a time limit on rejecting goods and asking for a refund but I think it's less than 30 days

yeh but this was online does it still count ??

IF they cant replace it then you are entitled to your money back

Original Poster

karenhornby;2870419

Sale of goods actthey have to repair it or give you a full refundit's NOT … Sale of goods actthey have to repair it or give you a full refundit's NOT down to the manufacturer, it's down to the shop you bought it from, although a lof of shops will TRY and tell you otherwisejust quote sale of goods act at themyou can find all the relevant legislation online

I thought so will email them now

Also my freeview recorder is knackered and im going argos today to return it with receipt have had since feb 08 can i get a straight refund instead of a replacement as the players pants

The rights of customers: goods
If you sell your customer goods that don't conform to contract - that aren't as described, are unfit for their purpose or of unsatisfactory quality - you are legally obliged to resolve the problem if they seek redress.

The Sale of Goods Act states that if customers want to reject faulty goods, they have to do so within a "reasonable time". A legal definition of "reasonable" is not given though - it varies from case to case and could be just a few weeks from the date of purchase.

If a customer rejects faulty goods within this "reasonable" period, they're entitled to ask for their money back. All customers can claim compensation at any time if they choose. If you sell to consumers - not other traders - they can ask for a repair or a replacement immediately (instead of asking for a refund) at any time until six years after purchase.

If you're dealing with a consumer, any repair or replacement you arrange must not cause them too much inconvenience. You may have to pay for other costs such as transportation. However, if a replacement is impossible and the goods cannot be repaired economically, or vice versa, then you can offer a full or partial refund.

In law you have a responsibility to your customer for up to six years from the date of purchase (in Scotland, five years from discovery of the problem). During this period, you are legally obliged to deal with any claim of breach of contract.

Might be different as play.com are based in Jersey

karenhornby;2870453

The rights of customers: goodsIf you sell your customer goods that don't … The rights of customers: goodsIf you sell your customer goods that don't conform to contract - that aren't as described, are unfit for their purpose or of unsatisfactory quality - you are legally obliged to resolve the problem if they seek redress.The Sale of Goods Act states that if customers want to reject faulty goods, they have to do so within a "reasonable time". A legal definition of "reasonable" is not given though - it varies from case to case and could be just a few weeks from the date of purchase.If a customer rejects faulty goods within this "reasonable" period, they're entitled to ask for their money back. All customers can claim compensation at any time if they choose. If you sell to consumers - not other traders - they can ask for a repair or a replacement immediately (instead of asking for a refund) at any time until six years after purchase.If you're dealing with a consumer, any repair or replacement you arrange must not cause them too much inconvenience. You may have to pay for other costs such as transportation. However, if a replacement is impossible and the goods cannot be repaired economically, or vice versa, then you can offer a full or partial refund.In law you have a responsibility to your customer for up to six years from the date of purchase (in Scotland, five years from discovery of the problem). During this period, you are legally obliged to deal with any claim of breach of contract.

so the 30 days stated is what they class as a reasonable time.

SOGA, and any other British law you can quote, doesn't apply to companies based in foreign countries. Play.com is based in Jersey, so you have zero legal cover, and they have zero obligation to you. You need to speak to Samsung.

Original Poster

dxx;2870503

SOGA, and any other British law you can quote, doesn't apply to companies … SOGA, and any other British law you can quote, doesn't apply to companies based in foreign countries. Play.com is based in Jersey, so you have zero legal cover, and they have zero obligation to you. You need to speak to Samsung.

damn yer i forgot they are in jersey

Ty for all answers will rep

dandoc2;2870518

damn yer i forgot they are in jersey Ty for all answers will rep

Sucks, doesn't it? But, hey, it's how they manage to be so cheap, so it's not all bad.

Although, curiosity for anyone in the know - what do Jersey people sound like when they speak? I kind-of imagine it to be some sort of a combination of SE English and French. Is that anywhere near the mark?

Original Poster

dxx;2870537

Sucks, doesn't it? But, hey, it's how they manage to be so cheap, so it's … Sucks, doesn't it? But, hey, it's how they manage to be so cheap, so it's not all bad.Although, curiosity for anyone in the know - what do Jersey people sound like when they speak? I kind-of imagine it to be some sort of a combination of SE English and French. Is that anywhere near the mark?

Nah they speak with an american accent and all have peg legs

Had the same problem last week with play.com regarding 2 samsung phones.
Basicly our UK consumer laws have nothing to do with play.com as they are registered in Jersey and so have the 28 day limit on all consumer electronic goods.
If you bought it the uk then fine your covered but not Jersey, although i have made a complaint to Jersey consumer direct and await there outcome.

IM NOT USING PLAY.COM ANYMORE FOR HIGH VALUE GOODS.

dandoc2;2870439

I thought so will email them now Also my freeview recorder is knackered … I thought so will email them now Also my freeview recorder is knackered and im going argos today to return it with receipt have had since feb 08 can i get a straight refund instead of a replacement as the players pants

Are you actually being serious here??? February! Thats 7 months ago! are you insaneeeeee. they would actually laugh at you :w00t:

Original Poster

Nikthomas;2876727

Are you actually being serious here??? February! Thats 7 months ago! are … Are you actually being serious here??? February! Thats 7 months ago! are you insaneeeeee. they would actually laugh at you :w00t:

I got a £95 gift card back :thumbsup:

Nikthomas;2876727

Are you actually being serious here??? February! Thats 7 months ago! are … Are you actually being serious here??? February! Thats 7 months ago! are you insaneeeeee. they would actually laugh at you :w00t:

Why wouldnt he return the faulty goods? its the law that you can get a refund, do not listen to what retail stores tell you, just call consumer direct, get a ref number, mention this to the manager of the retail store and he/she will soon change there tact.

Opps! just read post 20! where you've got £95 back in vouchers, so removed my earlier post...

Banned

this is what play state in their terms and conditions, by trading standars terms if they offer a time scale then that sticks, so it was over 10 days, if play dont state that the gurantee lies with them then it does lie with the manufacturer so you would have to contact them, if they dont reply then take that up with trading standards, im sure there would have been a gurantee guide as you get with most products.

(In the unlikely event that you receive goods which were not what you ordered or which are damaged or defective, or are of a different quantity to that stated on your order form, Play.com shall, at its own option, make good any shortage or non-delivery, replace or repair any damaged or defective goods, or refund to you the amount you paid for the goods in question PROVIDED THAT you notify Play.com of the problem in writing at the address stated in the confirmation e-mail within 10 working days of delivery of the goods. NOTHING IN THIS CLAUSE AFFECTS YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS)

also with argos they state that their receipt is the year gurantee, unless is states on the receipt its not covered i.e ipods, as apple give the 1 year gurantee the store dont offer it, they have to send the ipod for repair as the warranty offers this. lots of people actually damage their ipods then expect a refund! as they state its not working but they have dropped it in water or damaged the usb connections then complain when they dont work!

trading standards cant do anything if a repair is offered as that is what is covered under the guarantee.

i would make people aware that they should always read the warranties oe gurantees that come with any item so they know what they are covered for.

whe i forst got a hdmi dvd player i got a lot of blue screens no sound and eventually found out that the hdmi connection on the tv wasnt set properly.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846136
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2745
    3. How dangerous is Donald trump?1959
    4. Pink Balls613

See more discussions