Groups

Returning to work

I am looking to return to office work after almost 17 years away. Previously I worked in accounts - sales, purchase, nominal ledger etc and would be keen to go back to that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what refresher courses I could go on to bring me back up to speed? I notice that SAGE and SAP seem to be popular in the workplace and I have looked into some Pitman courses but I don't want to waste time doing something that will not be relevant. I am quite computer literate and I have recently completed a degree (not related to accounts in any way). Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Gloria

14 Comments

hi i work as a receptionist for 5 different companies, but all the accounts depts use SAGE so that might be a course for you to look into

Hey

I work in accounts and SAGE is very popular (although my workplace don't use it) If I decide to look for another job I think I would try to complete a short SAGE course just for the experiance. Try asking at your local college, mine do a course for SAGE although I don't know the length or cost.

ooh wasnt you ..sorry i have beer goggles on xxx

Original Poster

Oops, sorry for typo - it's getting late.

I have been told by a couple of employment agencies that "due to the current job market, competition for jobs is fierce" I am interpreting that as - I have no chance because I am over the hill.

Will look into SAGE courses.

gloria1997;5460300

Oops, sorry for typo - it's getting late. I have been told by a couple of … Oops, sorry for typo - it's getting late. I have been told by a couple of employment agencies that "due to the current job market, competition for jobs is fierce" I am interpreting that as - I have no chance because I am over the hill.Will look into SAGE courses.

personally in my company they are looking for employees that are mature ...so dont give up yet ... two ladies are pregnant ..thats not what the boss wants ...he wants someone who has had their children and are not going to take lots of time off.

starsparkle2311;5460314

Don't - you have lots of experience from the sounds of it, keep the faith … Don't - you have lots of experience from the sounds of it, keep the faith and good luck:thumbsup:Yeh, it's hard getting a job at the moment, but nothing to do with your age:)

drunken waves at sparkly ...hiya

I agree with QUEENLUSH regarding age - my workplace aren't employing at the moment but the last lot of maternity covers have all been 40+
    I don't know if it is a deliberate attempt to reduce the possibility of maternity leave (although now a days 40+ isn't over the hill!!) or if they were looking for experiance and these people fit the bill.
    Don't let age hold you back - there are jobs out there you've just got to be patient - GOOD LUCK x

starsparkle2311;5460417

unfortunately I am for once, stone cold sober tonight!!!Too much coffee … unfortunately I am for once, stone cold sober tonight!!!Too much coffee is the reason I am up:thumbsup:

i'm only tiddly cos i'm off..hic ..my excuse anyways ,,,lol

honest;5460435

I agree with QUEENLUSH regarding age - my workplace aren't employing at … I agree with QUEENLUSH regarding age - my workplace aren't employing at the moment but the last lot of maternity covers have all been 40+I don't know if it is a deliberate attempt to reduce the possibility of maternity leave (although now a days 40+ isn't over the hill!!) or if they were looking for experiance and these people fit the bill.Don't let age hold you back - there are jobs out there you've just got to be patient - GOOD LUCK x

we are employing and fortunately thriving ...what field of business are you in OP? ...it might help

starsparkle2311;5460529

good excuse, we're you off to? loooooooooool

off workies ..and off to bed i think lol ...for the best i reckon lol

starsparkle2311;5460565

noooooo stay up, post some drunken nonsense on here, that's what this … noooooo stay up, post some drunken nonsense on here, that's what this place is for:thumbsup::-D

hmmmm i'm getting typo fingers as we speak lol and i'm feeling phylicoffical lol

starsparkle2311;5460646

keep it up, you've made me lol already:-D

you are easy pleased ...i love the pegg too ....shaun of the dead is my fave film

Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I have looked into it and think I will do a SAGE course. No intense courses at college so I think I will have to pay to do it privately. At least it would be over and done with quickly.
    Maybe I should put on my CV that my reproductive days are over, therefore employers would not have to bother with maternity pay/cover/inconvenience etc, but I don't think that would be politically correct these days.

Gloria x

sage is a must, i just finished 1st year uni (accounting and finance) and we spent a lot of time working with sage
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423014435
      2. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1433
      3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710945
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047069

See more discussions