Returning various items place on a order of ebay.

Posted 1st Oct
I wonder if any one can help me. I have placed a order with ebay from various sellers, But i made a mistake in my order, and had to reorder a second time.
I have contacted the sellers asking them if they could please cancel my first order. Which some have. but most have been rubbish. Saying it had already gone when they got back to me.
The order was placed late on saturday night. So highly unlikely it would have been posted till monday.
I have contacted ebay who did try to help, an told me that i should accept the order and then contact the seller to return it back. My question is, who will pay the return fee back? Am I better off not accepting the order? Has anyone else been in a similar position? I don't really want to pay for p&p for about nine items.
Any suggestion would be apreciatedl.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
how is it rubbish service for them not to be able to get back things they have posted already?
have you even thought about that for a second?!
not that you bothered to say when you contacted or give info etc
not everyone gets weekends off etc

it was your mistake not theirs
Edited by: "brilly" 1st Oct
This is why I hardly sell anymore on ebay with buyers like OP.
leegp7901/10/2019 14:02

But if i cancel immediately, then they are not paying attention to what …But if i cancel immediately, then they are not paying attention to what you order or says. A bit like travel insurance online. Don't read through your specific medical details, but just sell you a product doesn't suit.But I did inform immediately. I understand if was 24 hours later. But it wasnt, So they had to read i made a order, but they didnt bother to read a message from me?

So you're blaming the seller for your mistake.

What about you paying attention to what you order? It's people like you that think you are not responsible for your own actions that ruin small businesses.

You screw up, you take ownership of it.
Why should sellers pay for your mistake?

If you send it back then they are out of pocket for sending it to you. They should make you pay their postage as well as yours.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 1st Oct
18 Comments
how is it rubbish service for them not to be able to get back things they have posted already?
have you even thought about that for a second?!
not that you bothered to say when you contacted or give info etc
not everyone gets weekends off etc

it was your mistake not theirs
Edited by: "brilly" 1st Oct
Unless faulty, and seller offer free returns (check their listings), it will be you responsible for return postage. Also some sellers don't offer returns at all, again stated in the listing.
Sellers also don't often refund orignal postage cost to them either.

You can claim postage back via paypal though.
Edited by: "AMaky" 1st Oct
brilly01/10/2019 12:42

how is it rubbish service for them not to be able to get back things they …how is it rubbish service for them not to be able to get back things they have posted already?have you even thought about that for a second?!not that you bothered to say when you contacted or give info etcnot everyone gets weekends off etcit was your mistake not theirs

It was my mistake. To say it had already been dispatched, when i contacted them immediately, is rubish. It also did not state it had been sent in ebay. That was a lye on the sellers behalf.
immediately? as in within a min or 2 at most?
Why should sellers pay for your mistake?

If you send it back then they are out of pocket for sending it to you. They should make you pay their postage as well as yours.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 1st Oct
brilly01/10/2019 13:04

immediately? as in within a min or 2 at most?

Yes.

Why do you comment on every post i make. Always wanting to cause a issue. That;s how it comes across to me?
m1keyp1key01/10/2019 13:05

Why should sellers pay for your mistake?If you send it back then they are …Why should sellers pay for your mistake?If you send it back then they are out of pocket for sending it to you. They should make you pay their postage as well as yours.

But if i cancel immediately, then they are not paying attention to what you order or says. A bit like travel insurance online. Don't read through your specific medical details, but just sell you a product doesn't suit.
But I did inform immediately. I understand if was 24 hours later. But it wasnt, So they had to read i made a order, but they didnt bother to read a message from me?
This is why I hardly sell anymore on ebay with buyers like OP.
Sellers are required to bear the basic outbound postage cost even though you'll be paying the return postage, so it is in their interest to cancel the sales before they get dispatched.

If many are refusing to cancel then they may be agents or drop-shippers who have already passed your order onto another company to fulfill it and don't want to go chasing it up.

I'm not sure about refusing delivery. You could try asking consumer advice/trading standards. I suspect the trader would be within their rights to pass on the refused delivery charge from the delivery company.

But if you disputed it then you may win, if you'd contacted them hours or days before the dispatch notification.

This is all assuming off the shelf items. If these are custom made or made/modified to order then the situation is different.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 1st Oct
leegp7901/10/2019 14:02

But if i cancel immediately, then they are not paying attention to what …But if i cancel immediately, then they are not paying attention to what you order or says. A bit like travel insurance online. Don't read through your specific medical details, but just sell you a product doesn't suit.But I did inform immediately. I understand if was 24 hours later. But it wasnt, So they had to read i made a order, but they didnt bother to read a message from me?

So you're blaming the seller for your mistake.

What about you paying attention to what you order? It's people like you that think you are not responsible for your own actions that ruin small businesses.

You screw up, you take ownership of it.
You mean you re ordered with the 10% code and then couldn't cancel the original order?
leegp7901/10/2019 12:54

It was my mistake.

You mean you forgot to apply a discount code.

The seller then has to relist, costing time which is money.

By dispatched the could mean they have booked the parcel with a courier and paid for it already.
HerefordCiderApples01/10/2019 14:30

You mean you re ordered with the 10% code and then couldn't cancel the …You mean you re ordered with the 10% code and then couldn't cancel the original order?

I forgot to order with it. So reorder, and amend order. Use the code. Informed everyone immediately. They never bother to check there mail.
Edited by: "leegp79" 1st Oct
harlzter01/10/2019 14:40

You mean you forgot to apply a discount code.The seller then has to …You mean you forgot to apply a discount code.The seller then has to relist, costing time which is money.By dispatched the could mean they have booked the parcel with a courier and paid for it already.

lol no. Because it's not a one private sale, where there is only one or two items. It doesnt cost money to change the amount of stock you have,. Its a simple alteration of numbers to star with. But after a return is sent back it will be automatically added back onto the stock from who it was purchased from.
leegp7901/10/2019 17:16

lol no. Because it's not a one private sale, where there is only one or …lol no. Because it's not a one private sale, where there is only one or two items. It doesnt cost money to change the amount of stock you have,. Its a simple alteration of numbers to star with. But after a return is sent back it will be automatically added back onto the stock from who it was purchased from.

Which still takes time, its not automatic as they have to check its in new condition.
So let's get this right... You want the items, you placed the order. Then realised you haven't applied the code, so contacted them and told them to cancel the order. Some have refused as it had already been processed (quite reasonable really if it had been processed. This may be done automatically by drop shipping company). You then reordered the same items from the same sellers applying the discount?
What you are asking from the sellers is a bit harsh on them. They've done nothing wrong. It is your mistake. Learn from it and accept it for what it is.
That's the moral thing to do.

The Ebayer thing to do is to refuse delivery or deny it had been delivered or claim an empty box was delivered or SNAD - when none of these things are true. Do one of these and you'll be a seasoned Ebayer my son.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 1st Oct
I get what OP is saying, I ordered something the other day and suddenly realised it was from China and would not get here in time. So I immediately asked the seller if he could cancel it, before I had paid. Seller couldn't possibly have posted it in the 30 seconds it took for me to contact him.
I still got a message back saying sorry item has been dispatched and cannot be cancelled. Suggested I refuse parcel and it will get sent back to them.

So it seems highly unlikely that someone would have posted something that hasn't been paid for and within 30 seconds.
My fault fair enough but why would a seller want a £2 item sent out and then returned instead of just reading the email?
Satan_Claws02/10/2019 08:14

I get what OP is saying, I ordered something the other day and suddenly …I get what OP is saying, I ordered something the other day and suddenly realised it was from China and would not get here in time. So I immediately asked the seller if he could cancel it, before I had paid. Seller couldn't possibly have posted it in the 30 seconds it took for me to contact him.I still got a message back saying sorry item has been dispatched and cannot be cancelled. Suggested I refuse parcel and it will get sent back to them. So it seems highly unlikely that someone would have posted something that hasn't been paid for and within 30 seconds.My fault fair enough but why would a seller want a £2 item sent out and then returned instead of just reading the email?

Someone with sense on here rather than the abuse I have received
Its pretty much what you said. The problem is some distributers have a good system where they identify cancellations, and others that just can't be assed about it, or need a months notification. Quick to process, nut ever so slow yup reply back
Edited by: "leegp79" 2nd Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants