Returning Xbox 360 to currys

Hi i tried to return my xbox 360 arcade to currys my 12 months runs out today and i tried to return it and they tried to fob me off telling me i HAD to return it to microsoft for a exchange and repair ---- Now what rights do i have as they refused to take it back spoke to the manager and she said the same ---- cost me £199.99 for the console and i want the refund

Any help regarding trading standards laws where i can returjn it within the 12months period

Daniel

44 Comments

Whats wrong with the actual console?

Original Poster

Faiza;4529949

Whats wrong with the actual console?

stop reading discs

Refunds normally apply 28 days after you bought it. They would only exchange it if there was a problem with it i would imagine

my brother tried returning his to woolies whilst his was still under guarantee and they wouldn't take it, he had to send it to microsoft, tho asda exchange them whilst under guarantee.

you are not entitled to a refund, the store only cover problems within the first 30 days, after that its a microsoft issue.

Unless of course you bought extra cover from currys when you bought it..

What's wrong with it dude?

dandoc2;4529962

stop reading discs

It should still be under warranty but that would mean sending it to Microsoft. I dont think they would carry out a repair or just exchange/refund it like that.

Your contract is with them, not microsoft. Remind them of this.
They have to replace it or get it fixed themselves. Im not sure about the refund.

Original Poster

Faiza;4529965

Refunds normally apply 28 days after you bought it. They would only … Refunds normally apply 28 days after you bought it. They would only exchange it if there was a problem with it i would imagine

they refused me a exhchange said i had to contact microsoft

if the console is broke then all they have to do offer to repair or replace it. If it was before 6 months then you would've been entitled to a refund.
Don't take this as gospel though as this info was from last year when i exchanged my 360 at argos, went in all tooled up with info from avforums and got my refund as it was under 6 months.

dandoc2;4529962

stop reading discs

arrange a fix with MS, they should fix it for free if within the 12 months

Within 12 months the store's your first port of call, they're obliged to do something about a faulty item (even if they just send it to M$ themselves).

Has the problem just started?

Original Poster

megalomaniac;4529985

Within 12 months the store's your first port of call, they're obliged to … Within 12 months the store's your first port of call, they're obliged to do something about a faulty item (even if they just send it to M$ themselves).

so no refund then - pointless having 12 months warranty then

By the time you send it to microsoft it would be outwith the 12 months? unless they have an extended thing or unless you call them letting them aware of the issue. They may allow a grace period.

not sure if ud be interested in this any more mate...but noticed it eariler and ur name came up...
hotukdeals.com/ite…g-/

Original Poster

Faiza;4529997

By the time you send it to microsoft it would be outwith the 12 months? … By the time you send it to microsoft it would be outwith the 12 months? unless they have an extended thing or unless you call them letting them aware of the issue. They may allow a grace period.

i dont want to send it back to microsoft as that takes like 2 weeks

If it helps my bf had the red ring of death on his xbox 360 after 10 months microsoft were brilliant at sorting it out. Got sent the packaging to post it to them which they paid for and the turn around was less than a week. Personally I'd contact Microsoft today so still in warranty period.
Go to [url]www.xbox.com[/url] and you can register for repair, if wasn't on last day I'd say argue on consumer law but customer service with these was brilliant.

Banned

deathtrap3000;4529977

Your contract is with them, not microsoft. Remind them of this.They have … Your contract is with them, not microsoft. Remind them of this.They have to replace it or get it fixed themselves. Im not sure about the refund.

As deathtrap3000 says - your contract is with your seller.

If you think there is a chance you'll get a new xbox - demand currys resolve the problem, otherwise you'll be better off contacting MS directly. Another party involved will just add to the delay. However it's your right to take it to currys - your contract is with them. :thumbsup:

dandoc2;4529992

the 12 months warranty is for breakdowns, not refunds, refunds as with anything dude, is within the first 28 days, after that the mfr warranty kicks in which is for breakdowns, log into microsoft support, register it then register a repair, you will have a new one back within 2 weeks, doesnt cost anything, they pick it up etc..

but only if its within the first 12 months since you bought it, but when you register on the site it will tell you if it is in warranty still or not

no biggy unless its not, and if it's not, i know someone that has dvd drives,

which one is in yours? look here:

[url]www.360drives.com/howto[/url]

dandoc2;4529992

Outside of the "cooling off" period they don't have to refund anything, unless you can prove the item isn't fit for purpose or you were mis-sold. They are however required to repair or replace (at their discretion) faulty items.

Give Consumer Direct a call, consumerdirect.gov.uk/ they'll be able to confirm exactly where you stand.

At the end of the day you brought it off Currys, not M$, so your contract is with them.

Taken from currys website
What happens if my item is faulty?

* Return a faulty product to a Currys store with your receipt or phone Aftersales on 0844 561 1234 to arrange a collection. For large screen TVs over 24" please call our dedicated support line on 0844 800 3060
* Any refund due to a fault will include a refund of the delivery charge you paid and our collection costs
* If there is a fault with your product within 28 days of delivery, you will always have the option of an exchange or refund
* If there is a fault with your product within 12 months of delivery, we will offer a prompt repair service
* Consumable items such as non-rechargeable batteries, camera films and ink cartridges are covered by guarantee for 3 months after delivery
* In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault

Microsoft will only repair RROD after your warranty has run out. Tell currys you want an exchange or repair.

had the same problem when my xbox broke from argos.
Took it back (After about 10 months) and they told me i had to send it to microsoft.
I didn't like this, so i asked for some advice on here and then phoned the head office and asked to speak to complaints.
I was told that they had been told by microsoft to send all faulty items back to their repair centre so they could fix them etc.
Anyway, to cut a long story short i tried making them send the console back (just to prove a point really) but the store team were a joke taking well over a week to get microsoft to take the console. So i just bit the bullet and took it to ups myself.

I'll try and find the thread i made last year.

the reason asda WILL give you an exchange within 12 months(not a refund tho) is that they have no facility to return it to microsoft-same with ps3s-we just dont return stuff for repair,so,since we cannot do this we exchange the product for a new one if the customer doesnt want to return to ms themelves and then...we throw them in the crusher! go figure.

Banned

dandoc2;4529992

:lol: you'll only get a refund if they haven't been able to repair, replace the item within a reasonable amount of time.

No the 12 month warranty isn't pointless.

They should have sent it off for repair for you though, would still take 2+ weeks. Easier for you to sort it out yourself. Make sure you mention the fault occurred before the 12 month warranty ended and you had been to get it repaired but they refused.

barky;4530152

the reason asda WILL give you an exchange within 12 months(not a refund … the reason asda WILL give you an exchange within 12 months(not a refund tho) is that they have no facility to return it to microsoft-same with ps3s-we just dont return stuff for repair,so,since we cannot do this we exchange the product for a new one if the customer doesnt want to return to ms themelves and then...we throw them in the crusher! go figure.

So asda throw away faulty products??? - ASDA must lose money doing it that way, not to mention non compliance of the WEEE Regulations

Why do u want a refund?? You should be asking for a replacement or repair, that is your rights at this stage, talk to trading standards......I got Game to take mine back ten days after guarantee was out and thy sent a new one, had to fight though......

I tried this with my PC

if it was within 28days - straight swap or refund

If its within the year, they attempt a fix.

if you get it in game?

Banned

brawlzzz;4530626

if you get it in game?

Title is "Returning Xbox 360 to currys"

i saw some guy buy an xbox and he said just return it here and well give you a new one

lumoruk;4530683

Title is "Returning Xbox 360 to currys"

i know but whats games policy

Banned

lol you have to titter

This was on currys website under terms an conditions

Faulty goods

The following are guidelines for all goods ordered for delivery. For Reserve & Collect items, please see in-store Terms and Conditions and your receipt wallet.

Wherever possible we will respond to your individual circumstances.

[COLOR="Red"]If there is a fault with your product within the applicable product guarantee period (normally 12 months from delivery) or other defect with your order, we will normally offer a prompt repair service. You will always have the option of an exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 28 days of delivery. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault.[/COLOR]

To qualify for a refund or exchange the product must be:

- in otherwise 'as new' condition

- complete with any accessories and free gifts offered with it

if possible, with the original box and packaging

If a pre-recorded videotape, DVD, CD, minidisc or other software is faulty under guarantee we will happily exchange it for the same title or offer a refund.

You can either return the product to a Currys store or phone Aftersales on 0844 561 1234 to arrange a collection. Aftersales is open from 9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday. Any refund due to a fault or other defect will include a refund of the applicable delivery charge. In these cases, we will also pay for our costs of collecting goods if they are not taken into a store. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery only. Premium services are not available. If a fault occurs while you are abroad, please contact us after you return to the UK.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses guys - come to the conclusion i cant get a refund or replacement at currys and that i have to go to xbox -- so it was pointless me buying the console instore - will buy my next one in gamestation as they give 12 months warranty instore to be returned there

dandoc2;4530707

Thanks for all your responses guys - come to the conclusion i cant get a … Thanks for all your responses guys - come to the conclusion i cant get a refund or replacement at currys and that i have to go to xbox -- so it was pointless me buying the console instore - will buy my next one in gamestation as they give 12 months warranty instore to be returned there

register it on the ms site to see if its still within the 12 month warranty dude, if it says not, you will need to phone them, and email a picture of the reciept from when you bought it, and it must clearly state an XBOX 360 on it..

if you are all outa luck, no warranty etc, speak to me later on live and i will sort you something

dandoc2;4530707

Thanks for all your responses guys - come to the conclusion i cant get a … Thanks for all your responses guys - come to the conclusion i cant get a refund or replacement at currys and that i have to go to xbox -- so it was pointless me buying the console instore - will buy my next one in gamestation as they give 12 months warranty instore to be returned there

No, that's not what everyone is saying. Let me try to sum it up:

- You are not entitled to a refund outside of 28 days
- Your contract is with the retailer, so they should arrange a repair / replacement within the 12 months warranty. However, if you can't really be bothered to fight and argue with the store then the easy option is...
- Contact Microsoft and arrange repair directly, as this is often quicker and easier.

Original Poster

Heavertron;4530809

No, that's not what everyone is saying. Let me try to sum it up:- You are … No, that's not what everyone is saying. Let me try to sum it up:- You are not entitled to a refund outside of 28 days- Your contract is with the retailer, so they should arrange a repair / replacement within the 12 months warranty. However, if you can't really be bothered to fight and argue with the store then the easy option is...- Contact Microsoft and arrange repair directly, as this is often quicker and easier.

Yeh i argued loads but she was having none of it -- the game crashed when i play fifa 09 exhibition matches so i will just not play that

sorry to butt in again but just wanted to make sure you saw this as you were real interested last week...
cheers
Shane

shaneomac;4529998

not sure if ud be interested in this any more mate...but noticed it … not sure if ud be interested in this any more mate...but noticed it eariler and ur name came up...http://hotukdeals.com/item/345756/microsoft-xbox-360-official-racing-/

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza;4530767

register it on the ms site to see if its still within the 12 month … register it on the ms site to see if its still within the 12 month warranty dude, if it says not, you will need to phone them, and email a picture of the reciept from when you bought it, and it must clearly state an XBOX 360 on it..if you are all outa luck, no warranty etc, speak to me later on live and i will sort you something

yeh will do it now

Original Poster

shaneomac;4530855

sorry to butt in again but just wanted to make sure you saw this as you … sorry to butt in again but just wanted to make sure you saw this as you were real interested last week...cheersShane

sorry mate already bought it now ty anyways
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What an absolute disgrace2155
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213598
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386134
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764005

See more discussions