Reversing HotPoint Fridge Freezer Door

Found 18th Jan 2015
I have a HotPoint 50/50 Fridge Freezer Mod: RF187M G. The door is currently attached on the right but I would like it to open the opposite way as I have a small kitchen and it would make it much easier.

The hinges are not reversible like my old fridge, and I have searched the Internet for a part number for the new hinge but can't find one. Does anyone have this fridge freezer or know where I can get a hinge?

Thanks
Community Updates
16 Comments
Banned
Easiest way is to turn the fridge freezer upside down.
Banned
Ebay would be your best bet

ebay.co.uk/itm…466
Original Poster
bazzamone

Easiest way is to turn the fridge freezer upside down.

Lol don't know if that would work..
Original Poster
bazzamone

Ebay would be your best bet … Ebay would be your best bet http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-HOTPOINT-RF187-RZ150-RZFM151-RZS150-UFAN300-Left-Hand-Freezer-Flap-Hinge-/361040819302?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Fridges_Freezers&hash=item540fb5b466

Thanks for looking but I've already seen that. It's from the freezer box compartment door not the main door. I have looked at pretty much every listing on eBay and none match my model number.
why not just call hotpoint tomorrow?
Original Poster
sowotsdis

why not just call hotpoint tomorrow?

That's what I'm planning but I was hoping some knowledgable people might be able to point me in the right direction.
k8y1988

That's what I'm planning but I was hoping some knowledgable people might … That's what I'm planning but I was hoping some knowledgable people might be able to point me in the right direction.

They have... call hotpoint tomorrow
Original Poster
Ellie Phant

They have... call hotpoint tomorrow

Thanks for your comment, very helpful.
Do you still have the manual? Not sure if any info in there.
http://imagebank.indesitcompany.co.uk/brochures_online/pdf/Hotpoint/Freezers/RF187MG_MP_19507528900.pdf

When looking for model number the g at the end doesn't need to be used as I'm sure that's just for the colour.
All my hot point appliances including fridge freezer have a G at the end with is for graphite colour
Original Poster
takethatfan1978

Do you still have the manual? Not sure if any info in … Do you still have the manual? Not sure if any info in there.http://imagebank.indesitcompany.co.uk/brochures_online/pdf/Hotpoint/Freezers/RF187MG_MP_19507528900.pdfWhen looking for model number the g at the end doesn't need to be used as I'm sure that's just for the colour.All my hot point appliances including fridge freezer have a G at the end with is for graphite colour

Thanks, I wondered about the G! I do still have it yes, but the door reversal diagram is incorrect for my model, as I tried doing that but the parts cannot be simply flipped to the other side. It's a pain haha
Most of these models you can reverse.If the door hss handle grooves each side, its reversing
If you look at the hinges they are normally screwed into the case with a pin holding each door to allow it to swivel
If you check on the other side of the frame there should be predrilled holes some times with plastic plugs in to allow you to reverse the opening operation
The hinges should be capable of being swopped over and you should not need to buy new hinges
Some makes the bottom hinge screws are in the base so you need to tilt the case back in order to release the screws
It is important to empty the whole thing out first as it makes it much easier to work on tilt around etc especially while working on the bottom hinges

Good luck

Heads up ,I did this to a fridge and it rusted very badly at the screws and ruined the look quite quickly, knowing this I would put some lacquer or similar inside the holes and on top of the screws to stop it.
I must admit, a quick 'Google' on this model suggests it has a reversible door. I worked in electrical retail many moons ago and most (if not all) were capable of being reversed. Sometimes it's not as obvious as one would think - you may have to "flip" the top hinge (which usually involves removing the lid to gain access) to turn it from a right hinge into a left.

Perhaps check to see if the Hotpoint website (or any website for that matter) holds a PDF manual for your specific model?

Regards, Phsy.
Mod
Perhaps it's the case that the top hinge on the right becomes the bottom hinge on the left and visa versa?
BeerDrinker

Perhaps it's the case that the top hinge on the right becomes the bottom … Perhaps it's the case that the top hinge on the right becomes the bottom hinge on the left and visa versa?

That's often the case.
Original Poster
BeerDrinker

Perhaps it's the case that the top hinge on the right becomes the bottom … Perhaps it's the case that the top hinge on the right becomes the bottom hinge on the left and visa versa?

I had started to think this myself after googling, I will have to have a look tomorrow. I never thought this would be the case as my last fridge the top hinge just flipped over and could go either side, same as the bottom.

Phsycronix

I must admit, a quick 'Google' on this model suggests it has a reversible … I must admit, a quick 'Google' on this model suggests it has a reversible door. I worked in electrical retail many moons ago and most (if not all) were capable of being reversed. Sometimes it's not as obvious as one would think - you may have to "flip" the top hinge (which usually involves removing the lid to gain access) to turn it from a right hinge into a left.Perhaps check to see if the Hotpoint website (or any website for that matter) holds a PDF manual for your specific model?Regards, Phsy.

Unfortunately this is not the case with my current fridge, my old one did this but with this one the hinge is right only. The pdf manual, as with the paper one, shows a different model in the diagram!

jjaack

Heads up ,I did this to a fridge and it rusted very badly at the screws … Heads up ,I did this to a fridge and it rusted very badly at the screws and ruined the look quite quickly, knowing this I would put some lacquer or similar inside the holes and on top of the screws to stop it.

Thanks for the tip! The holes are not pre-drilled so I appreciate that bit of info!

Thanks all for your comments!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants