Review if webuyanymotor.com

Posted 10th Feb
Hello members,

One of my friend is moving to a different country and wants to sell his car, Any review on webuyanymotor.com, today someone from the company came , told him the price they can pay and said they will take the car , do some checks and pay in 2/4 day...

He is happy with the price but wants to be sure of the company.

has anyone used them before ? Will appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Doesn't look very professional, can't find trustpilot I would avoid like the plague
Mobile number as formal tel contact. Gmail as formal e-contact. Zero company disclosues. Why would anybody even consider a transaction with such an operation?
Read their Terms of Service - hardly any, which is a concern. What is there, doesn't really make sense other than they will charge you up to £400 if you accept their quote and then 'don't follow through', or that is how I interpreted it!
Looks like a car breakers yard.
Can't see an issue if they pay cash and take the car. Can see a big risk if they take the car and say they will pay later..
"We reserve the right to share your data with any 3rd party not affiliated or employed within the business without your permission."
Thanks all , yeah that’s what I told my mate, take bank transfer nothing else and payment on spot. Keys once money received
Edited by: "RealOldMonk" 10th Feb
RealOldMonk10/02/2020 20:34

Thanks all , yeah that’s what I told my mate, take bank transfer nothing e …Thanks all , yeah that’s what I told my mate, take bank transfer nothing else and payment on spot. Keys once money received

Bank transfer? From some geezer whose website doesn't quote any verifiable contact details? Some time after receipt of bank transfer you can expect the genuine source accountholder to initiate a chargeback against an unauthorised transaction = no money, no car.
AndyRoyd11/02/2020 02:00

Bank transfer? From some geezer whose website doesn't quote any verifiable …Bank transfer? From some geezer whose website doesn't quote any verifiable contact details? Some time after receipt of bank transfer you can expect the genuine source accountholder to initiate a chargeback against an unauthorised transaction = no money, no car.

Can you link to a source on that. As far as I knew you were in the clear if you received a bank transfer for payment.
smashed11/02/2020 08:13

Can you link to a source on that. As far as I knew you were in the clear …Can you link to a source on that. As far as I knew you were in the clear if you received a bank transfer for payment.

the only way it was be reversed is due to fraud - i.e. if they use someone else's account
I typed their email address into Google and it came up with lots of different company names with that email throughout the country.

Can you link to a source on that. As far as I knew you were in the clear …Can you link to a source on that. As far as I knew you were in the clear if you received a bank transfer for payment.

You receive stolen money from an unauthorised / fraudulent transfer and expect to keep that stolen money. Seriously?
Thanks all, yeah seems like fraud.. told my mate to stay far away...
AndyRoyd11/02/2020 09:28

You receive stolen money from an unauthorised / fraudulent transfer and …You receive stolen money from an unauthorised / fraudulent transfer and expect to keep that stolen money. Seriously?

I have read conflicting information including a lot of people who regularly sell high value through bank transfer.
This is why I asked if you had a decent source. I sold a car a few years ago and HSBC told me I was free to hand over the car as soon as the funds showed in my account.

To offer generic positive solution: cash paid directly into seller's account by buyer at seller's bank / Post Office with seller standing alongside (vast majority of banks accept cash deposits at PO, where many POs are within other businesses conveniently open early morning and closing late into evening). Seller doesn't ever touch the cash so cannot be accused of mishandling the amount being paid in; bank or PO cashier performs the counterfeit check. Ultimately far safer than the possibility of bank transfer reversal due to unauthorised transaction / fraud.
AndyRoyd11/02/2020 09:47

To offer generic positive solution: cash paid directly into seller's …To offer generic positive solution: cash paid directly into seller's account by buyer at seller's bank / Post Office with seller standing alongside (vast majority of banks accept cash deposits at PO, where many POs are within other businesses conveniently open early morning and closing late into evening). Seller doesn't ever touch the cash so cannot be accused of mishandling the amount being paid in; bank or PO cashier performs the counterfeit check. Ultimately far safer than the possibility of bank transfer reversal due to unauthorised transaction / fraud.

I appreciate that this is an irrefutable method and have read that before. However the bank transfer method is odd as the bank will say you are safe if you phone. They record your call too
People say cash and I am also paranoid about using that in case it is fake
smashed11/02/2020 09:56

I appreciate that this is an irrefutable method and have read that before. …I appreciate that this is an irrefutable method and have read that before. However the bank transfer method is odd as the bank will say you are safe if you phone. They record your call too :)People say cash and I am also paranoid about using that in case it is fake

If seeking verbal confirmation of payment from bank immediately after receipt I would be asking the specific question:
"is this deposit reversible if at some time in the future the transfer is stated to be fraudulent or for any other reason?"

Here's the protection offered to the source (repeat: source) accountholder against fraudulent transfers leaving their account, as stated by the UK financial regulator:
"In most circumstances, your bank must refund you for an unauthorised payment... without undue delay and by the end of the business day following the day on which it became aware of the problem"
fca.org.uk/con…unt
I haven't seen any reference to banks self-insuring unauthorised/fraudulent transfers to the benefit of recipients and I seriously doubt you will find any reference in law to a recipient being able to retain stolen money.
AndyRoyd11/02/2020 10:10

If seeking verbal confirmation of payment from bank immediately after …If seeking verbal confirmation of payment from bank immediately after receipt I would be asking the specific question:"is this deposit reversible if at some time in the future the transfer is stated to be fraudulent or for any other reason?"Here's the protection offered to the source (repeat: source) accountholder against fraudulent transfers leaving their account, as stated by the UK financial regulator:"In most circumstances, your bank must refund you for an unauthorised payment... without undue delay and by the end of the business day following the day on which it became aware of the problem"https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unauthorised-payments-accountI haven't seen any reference to banks self-insuring unauthorised/fraudulent transfers to the benefit of recipients and I seriously doubt you will find any reference in law to a recipient being able to retain stolen money.

Yes, it is the self insurance aspect that I would be unsure of too. However if the bank tells you that it is ok (and you have the confirmation recorded) then I would hope to be ok, IT is difficult to find evidence either way, or people crying about it like most scams.

Cheers
smashed11/02/2020 10:13

Yes, it is the self insurance aspect that I would be unsure of too. …Yes, it is the self insurance aspect that I would be unsure of too. However if the bank tells you that it is ok (and you have the confirmation recorded) then I would hope to be ok, IT is difficult to find evidence either way, or people crying about it like most scams.Cheers

It "is OK" subject to the t&c accepted by the bank accountholder at time of and subsequent to account creation (that will exclude fraudulent receipts), hence the suggestion of specific wording for any retention confirmation call. Obviously far more prudent to seek specific confirmation from your (the recipient) bank now rather than wait until the day of potentially problematic transfer.
Website says "Instant Cash, cheque or BACS transfer available" so insist on cash on collection, If they say no tell them to go to hell!
PaulandPam11/02/2020 10:21

Website says "Instant Cash, cheque or BACS transfer available" so insist …Website says "Instant Cash, cheque or BACS transfer available" so insist on cash on collection, If they say no tell them to go to hell!

If the plan was to scam you would think it would be much quicker cheaper and easier to buy a payg phone and buy off auto trader, gumtree etc instead of creating a website and hoping that people contact you.
JimboParrot11/02/2020 09:09

I typed their email address into Google and it came up with lots of …I typed their email address into Google and it came up with lots of different company names with that email throughout the country.

Its probably just a network of scrapyards across the country that have got together, the vehicle details are passed to all of them and any that are interested get in touch.
I doubt there's anything sinister about it, there are quite a few other similar websites.
Delbert.Grady11/02/2020 10:57

Its probably just a network of scrapyards across the country that have got …Its probably just a network of scrapyards across the country that have got together, the vehicle details are passed to all of them and any that are interested get in touch.I doubt there's anything sinister about it, there are quite a few other similar websites.

Observation: difficult to identify one credible agent / introduction / network website within an area of trade that does not disclose company contact details IAW Business (Names and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2015.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants