Review of Air to Water Heat Pump

Posted 8th Nov
Hi has anyone on here had a Air to Water Heat Pump fitted as opposed to a domestic combi boiler and applied for RHI ? According to Ofgem almost 40,000 have been fitted and claimed RHI, they don't say what they have replaced. I have seen a lot of adverts on facebook, I replied to one asking for some links to reviews as I cant find any myself. which wasn't provided.
We got a phone call from some one asking if we would like to know more and an advisor is trying to make an appointment. TIA
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Renewable energy engineer here... Air source is a great technology, for every 1 unit of energy you put in, you get about 3 back.
However, electric is 3-4x more expensive than gas. The heat output is also a lot lower, meaning a lot larger radiators will need to be fitted for heat exchange, also a specific cylinder for your hot water, which will still need to be topped up with an immersion heater to get the hot water to a good temperature. They are also a lot slower to heat up, and can be noisy when running.
If you didn’t have the option of mains gas, they are a great alternative. Because you have gas, get a combi fitted, i doubt many of those 40,000 fitted will of been in places with mains gas.
13 Comments
is it the ariston unit?
Are you referring to a ground source heat pump?

These use electricity to pump water through pipes buried in the ground which are warmed from the ground and then water is then pumped back through the house and so on.

It usually involves digging big hole in the ground.
Have you checked you definitely qualify for RHI ?
Renewable energy engineer here... Air source is a great technology, for every 1 unit of energy you put in, you get about 3 back.
However, electric is 3-4x more expensive than gas. The heat output is also a lot lower, meaning a lot larger radiators will need to be fitted for heat exchange, also a specific cylinder for your hot water, which will still need to be topped up with an immersion heater to get the hot water to a good temperature. They are also a lot slower to heat up, and can be noisy when running.
If you didn’t have the option of mains gas, they are a great alternative. Because you have gas, get a combi fitted, i doubt many of those 40,000 fitted will of been in places with mains gas.
Looking at further details the saving is £100-150 a year vs an A rated gas boiler yet is much more expensive to install so not really seeing any benefits and overall it’s more expensive unless you have oil heating currently and no gas.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Nov
bgdon108/11/2019 19:45

Renewable energy engineer here... Air source is a great technology, for …Renewable energy engineer here... Air source is a great technology, for every 1 unit of energy you put in, you get about 3 back. However, electric is 3-4x more expensive than gas. The heat output is also a lot lower, meaning a lot larger radiators will need to be fitted for heat exchange, also a specific cylinder for your hot water, which will still need to be topped up with an immersion heater to get the hot water to a good temperature. They are also a lot slower to heat up, and can be noisy when running. If you didn’t have the option of mains gas, they are a great alternative. Because you have gas, get a combi fitted, i doubt many of those 40,000 fitted will of been in places with mains gas.

Good advice.

High efficiency but only capable of producing low grade heat - ideal for new builds which are to install below floor heating. Not really suitable for a gas boiler replacement without major refurbishment of of the property.
Hi all, thanks for the replies. We haven't had the assessor/salesperson round yet, but answered some qualifying questions over the phone and was basically told as we have loft insulation and double glazing we should get RHI our number was passed on to the assessor who phoned about 20 mins later. He attempted to book us in for an appointment, he said during the appointment I would need to show some energy bills and my partner would also need to be there, which is difficult because of her work rota which she was due to get. Anyway was doing some research but was having difficulty finding any reviews. Thanks Renewable energy, I like your honest advice. At the moment I don't think its going to be a good option even if I could get the system and install from the grant thing. I have just searched Mitsubishi Ecodan reviews as that's what the Facebook page was advertising and found a review on money savings.com and a guys bill for one month was £700. Then I thought of the Mitsubishi Phev and there 200MPG car, which made me realise it wouldn't work for us as we like to be toastie hot not luke warm.
I've had an IVT AIRX heat pump and very oversized radiator system for around 3 years that replaced a completely unfit gas system. Its an old Victorian house that we had internal wall insulation before fitting. We went with the ASHP rather than gas because we have solar panels & wanted an eco house. In our case, the RHI payment covered a significant portion of the price premium over gas. Advantages we've found are low/zero maintenance, constant temperature in house so fabric of house stays warm, radiators don't ever get very hot (safe for children), the system is also very controllable and the system is 100% efficient (well actually about 400% efficient in physics terms) . To be fair, after the wall insulation was fitted, our needs reduced a lot, the old system may have been sufficient, but we are very happy with our new system. As far as running costs go, we can't compare with our previous system as the house is different, but we now have electricity supply only in the house and very satisfied with energy bills.
Edited by: "kevinhebditch" 9th Nov
Hi Kevin.
Thanks for the info.
Whats the water temp like and is it ok for a power shower ?
Could I ask you what was your lowest and highest enegy bill since you have had it installed? How many rooms in your home ? I would imagine the solar panels also make a big difference, its hard trying to find honest reviews, do you know someone else who has ASHP before you committed. Can you remember where you researched before the instal.
Sorry for bombarding you with questions.
I couldn't comment on using a power shower, but our hot water heats up to 46deg every afternoon which is hot enough for the 4 of us to have a shower, once the tank is empty obviously there is no more, there is a hot water boost facility that you'd use if you had guests and needed more hot water but I think it just uses an immersion so isn't efficient. At moment there are 2 adults and 2 young children so we all shower together so may need to increase the temperature when they get older to ensure it doesn't run out. We have a 4 bed Victorian house which, like I said previously is reasonably well insulated by modern standards/very well insulated for an old house . The heat pump runs flat out for about an hour at 2pm to heat the water, rest of the day its generally on low or off topping up the lost heat. I think we use around 5000kwh a year, which on a good tarriff is around £600. I did a hell of a lot of internet research on making the house eco, and we're still not finished. I couldn't state the importance of good insulation and underfloor heating or giant radiators, basically the heat pump just maintains the temperature of the house, it doesn't "heat it up" as such, if you're losing a lot of heat all the time the heat pump won't run efficiently.
Edited by: "kevinhebditch" 11th Nov
6 bed 17th century cottage installed a 22kw heat pump total cost under 1K. So easy to fit ! If one can plan the system , sweat pipework and drain / refill a central heating system they can be a DIY install except the electrical connection side .
As above iv insulated internally minimum 50mm kingspan upto 100mm in places like the hallway which is traditionally the coldest room.
Running costs similar to above . Ranging from £30 per month milder weather , to £80 a month in minus degree weather .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants