Revolut Junior Account - free (no monthly charge) pre-paid child’s account (£5 fee for card)

Posted 29th Jul 2020
Have just seen that Revolut are now offering junior accounts for standard account customers, meaning the pre-paid accounts are available for no monthly charge.
There are a few limits - £40 max monthly top up/ATM withdrawal for example (which can be removed by having a paid-for main account).
Seems like a good way to try a junior account for children without a monthly fee. There is a £5 charge for the card. Further details here: blog.revolut.com/hel…or/
Community Updates
14 Comments
Also seems limited that the junior account can only get money from the main account directly which is bit rubbish but good as a separate Card that is easily controlled if lost etc..
Looks good thanks
justanothercid29/07/2020 16:33

Also seems limited that the junior account can only get money from the …Also seems limited that the junior account can only get money from the main account directly which is bit rubbish but good as a separate Card that is easily controlled if lost etc..

Yes - noticed only the main account holder can pay in. I’ve gone for it since my daughter wants a card (but I doubt she will use it enough to justify a monthly charges-for one ... or at least use this as a cheap way for her to try it out).
Yoda8529/07/2020 16:36

Yes - noticed only the main account holder can pay in. I’ve gone for it s …Yes - noticed only the main account holder can pay in. I’ve gone for it since my daughter wants a card (but I doubt she will use it enough to justify a monthly charges-for one ... or at least use this as a cheap way for her to try it out).

Totally agree, originally I had gave her a spare card off mine.

I just like the fact you can freeze the card and the limit is good if they lost it.

See how it goes.
Just tried to sign up and it tells me I need to upgrade my main account to Premium (£6.99) or Metal (£12.99) - I thought it was free to open a Junior account?
bobdylan29/07/2020 16:46

Just tried to sign up and it tells me I need to upgrade my main account to …Just tried to sign up and it tells me I need to upgrade my main account to Premium (£6.99) or Metal (£12.99) - I thought it was free to open a Junior account?

That’s strange - it let me create one on a standard account (I don’t pay anything and hardly use it to be honest). It even has this message still there in my notifications (which made me aware):

The cashless way to learn about money
With Revolut Junior, you can teach kids valuable money skills for life. Created, funded and tracked by you, Junior gives them more responsibility within safe boundaries. Manage their money from the same place you manage your own, and help them build healthy money habits.

Available now on Standard, Premium and Metal
Yeah not available for me so guess that offer is not for everyone. I'll have to wait till the notification appears I guess :-(
@bobdylan are you doing this through the app? If you select “not now” it allows you to create the junior card. Children must be 7yo to have a card.

41527046.jpg
Edited by: "sanchez82" 29th Jul
@sanchez82 if I select Not Now then it takes me back to the screen before again? So I just go round in a loop
Edited by: "bobdylan" 29th Jul
Can you create virtual cards ?
wakkaday29/07/2020 21:40

Can you create virtual cards ?

Doesn’t look like it - just the one physical one (although the standard main account offers a free virtual one). The junior accounts aren’t currently working with Apple Pay/google pay either (although it says they are adding that at some point).
bobdylan29/07/2020 19:01

@sanchez82 if I select Not Now then it takes me back to the screen before …@sanchez82 if I select Not Now then it takes me back to the screen before again? So I just go round in a loop

That doesn’t sound right at all. It takes me to the child details page. Maybe raise a ticket with support and see if it’s account specific or reliant on a certain number of transactions going through the account. Hope you get it sorted
41529618-NShca.jpg
Strange, I've now updated the app and the option to create the junior account is now working! All good now 😁
bobdylan29/07/2020 23:30

Strange, I've now updated the app and the option to create the junior …Strange, I've now updated the app and the option to create the junior account is now working! All good now 😁

Awesome, glad you got it sorted
Post a comment
@
    Text