Found 11th May
Has anybody had any issues with their Revolut card abroad. My naive young son has tried to use his card in India at an ATM. No money came out and his Indian friend told him that this happened to him regularly, so he thought nothing of it. He later noticed that the money had been debited anyway. He had used the card with no problem in a shop prior to this. Getting generic help from Revolut seems to be impossible in this country, so I can't help him at this end. The in app support is useless at his end, just telling him for more than 15 minutes that they are connecting him to a live agent.

1. Ask
  2. Movie
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Movie
7 Comments

About 2 months ago I had a declined transaction in a shop in Spain. It went through the second time. Both transactions were debited in my Revolut app/balance. After about an hour I got through to Revolut support on the app and they said the transaction had been declined because the connection had been lost at the shop end and that the money would be refunded by the shops bank in 24hrs. It was.

Original Poster

colin4man

About 2 months ago I had a declined transaction in a shop in Spain. It … About 2 months ago I had a declined transaction in a shop in Spain. It went through the second time. Both transactions were debited in my Revolut app/balance. After about an hour I got through to Revolut support on the app and they said the transaction had been declined because the connection had been lost at the shop end and that the money would be refunded by the shops bank in 24hrs. It was.

Thanks. It's the ATM issue which is a bit worrying, plus the fact that he is stuck as regards cash until it is sorted. it doesn't inspire confidence when their contact page says that the app chat is 24 hours a day weekdays, whereas their FB page says it's 8a.m. to 10p.m.

really, traveling anywhere should never rely on one card, the naive part os.thinking that would be ok. I would also contact the bank atm company to check

We too are having problems with Revolut,tried to use an atm in Fethiye Turkey the machine accepted the card and pin number then froze and we had no way of getting the card back or proceeding with a transaction ,the help buttons and release button would not work.We found out a little later that several transactions had taken place some of which had been allowed and had wiped out the card which had then been stopped,we are still trying to communicate with Revolut to no positive solution yet so can not hold much hope out for you,agree communication is frustrating we are trying to do so via Facebook messenger,good luck.

I've had Revolut fail at various ATM's in India, USA, Mexico and Cuba. This has always been the ATM's found in shops or hotels. I have never had an issue at any bank ATM in the same countries. Revolut also sometimes fails at USA petrol pumps with card reader at the pump, but that also happens with main credit cards. It doesn't make Revolut a bad card as it works 99% of the time and gives great exchange rates. You just need to have an alternative in your wallet.

Original Poster

airbus330

I've had Revolut fail at various ATM's in India, USA, Mexico and Cuba. … I've had Revolut fail at various ATM's in India, USA, Mexico and Cuba. This has always been the ATM's found in shops or hotels. I have never had an issue at any bank ATM in the same countries. Revolut also sometimes fails at USA petrol pumps with card reader at the pump, but that also happens with main credit cards. It doesn't make Revolut a bad card as it works 99% of the time and gives great exchange rates. You just need to have an alternative in your wallet.

What makes it a bad card is the total lack of customer support. My son has now been on hold with the in app help for more than 10 hours. Yes he should have taken a back up card, but the trouble is it might have been another of these type of cards. People would say you are mad to buy something from a website with no contact details, but getting this card is essentially the same when there is no way of getting help with any problems. I'd rather lose a couple of quid on the exchange rate and know that I have the backing of a major credit card if things go wrong.

bogglebrain

What makes it a bad card is the total lack of customer support. My son … What makes it a bad card is the total lack of customer support. My son has now been on hold with the in app help for more than 10 hours. Yes he should have taken a back up card, but the trouble is it might have been another of these type of cards. People would say you are mad to buy something from a website with no contact details, but getting this card is essentially the same when there is no way of getting help with any problems. I'd rather lose a couple of quid on the exchange rate and know that I have the backing of a major credit card if things go wrong.

I couldn't agree with you more. Any card that sells itself as device for international travellers should have the back up for when things go wrong. Unfortunately, the further you go from home, the more unreliable communications become, hence the need for a backup plan. Years ago, I used to pay an extortionate fee for an American Express Charge card simply because in an emergency you could walk into any Amex office worldwide and get emergency funds. I used it once when I was robbed in Greece!
So, Revolut or similar, plus backup worldwide credit card (Halifax Clarity) plus a bank with a decent call centre (1st. Direct) which has branches overseas (HSBC) plus a crisp $100 dollar bill at the back of the wallet when all else fails.
I noticed re-reading your post that "no money came out of the ATM" but the amount was still debited. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon in several countries, again particularly in non-bank ATM's, which should be avoided at all costs.
Hope your son gets sorted out. Its surprisingly scary being in a foreign country with no access to your funds.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    2. Computer upgrades89
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    4. Whey protien629
    5. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...811

See more discussions