Rewiring a light switch - am I doing it wrong?

Found 19th Feb
I am rewiring a light switch as the previous touch sensor switch sensorhas stopped working. It is wired up with 3 brown wires, one going into a “L1” terminal and 2 going into a “L” terminal. On my new switch I just have 3 terminals - L1, L2 and Common. This is going to be a one way switch. Do the two brown wires in the existing L terminal go into Common....? This is my first time so appreciate your help!2896716-r5K8t.jpg2896716-5Pqzl.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
ccnp44 m ago

Well this post is your home insurance invalidated in the event it catches …Well this post is your home insurance invalidated in the event it catches fire.Never quite sure why people think its OK to muck about with electrics. Electricians are expensive but ...................... evidently you don't mind the risk of giving your wife or kids a mild tickle (if you have MCBs/RCDs) or an outright shock (if its an old fuse board)Suggest you use an electrician. Or call the manufacturers tech support number in the paperwork that doubtless came with the pack.

This is a really misinformed comment it’s perfectly legal to change existing switches and fittings as part of the regulations it’s deemed minor work and is pretty much the only task you are allowed to carry out without certification.
16 Comments
Well this post is your home insurance invalidated in the event it catches fire.

Never quite sure why people think its OK to muck about with electrics. Electricians are expensive but ...................... evidently you don't mind the risk of giving your wife or kids a mild tickle (if you have MCBs/RCDs) or an outright shock (if its an old fuse board)

Suggest you use an electrician. Or call the manufacturers tech support number in the paperwork that doubtless came with the pack.
It’s just a one way switch no upstairs downstairs arrangement? You would only need to use the L1 and common ignore L2
Cable from 'L' goes to 'common' as that will be your LIVE connection, 'L1' is Light 1 cable and should go into 'L1' on the new socket.
Those "Brown" cables should have a bit of coloured tape on them to indicate what they are for!
You are asking because you are worried you may do it wrong? As ccnp says, though pretty bluntly, you need to get it done by an electrician or at least checked after you have done it by one. Personally if it's got more than three wires to connect I won't touch it.
Remember the old joke... What is black and crispy and hangs from the ceiling?

An Amateur electrician.
mrty7 m ago

You are asking because you are worried you may do it wrong? As ccnp says, …You are asking because you are worried you may do it wrong? As ccnp says, though pretty bluntly, you need to get it done by an electrician or at least checked after you have done it by one. Personally if it's got more than three wires to connect I won't touch it.Remember the old joke... What is black and crispy and hangs from the ceiling?An Amateur electrician.

Or my personal favourite when deciding where wires go:

Red to Red
Black to Black
Blue to bits
ccnp44 m ago

Well this post is your home insurance invalidated in the event it catches …Well this post is your home insurance invalidated in the event it catches fire.Never quite sure why people think its OK to muck about with electrics. Electricians are expensive but ...................... evidently you don't mind the risk of giving your wife or kids a mild tickle (if you have MCBs/RCDs) or an outright shock (if its an old fuse board)Suggest you use an electrician. Or call the manufacturers tech support number in the paperwork that doubtless came with the pack.

This is a really misinformed comment it’s perfectly legal to change existing switches and fittings as part of the regulations it’s deemed minor work and is pretty much the only task you are allowed to carry out without certification.
Dannyrobbo53 m ago

It’s just a one way switch no upstairs downstairs arrangement? You would o …It’s just a one way switch no upstairs downstairs arrangement? You would only need to use the L1 and common ignore L2

I guess this switch may be controlling two light fittings? If so, that is why there are two brown wires into the "L" terminal.

I agree with Danny - put the same two brown cables that are currently in "L" into either L1 or common, and the other brown cable into the other terminal - ignore L2.
scottmccubbin2 h, 59 m ago

Cable from 'L' goes to 'common' as that will be your LIVE connection, 'L1' …Cable from 'L' goes to 'common' as that will be your LIVE connection, 'L1' is Light 1 cable and should go into 'L1' on the new socket.Those "Brown" cables should have a bit of coloured tape on them to indicate what they are for!

Wrong. Brown cables do not need identification if single phase,only when used for 3phase black and grey.
Dannyrobbo2 h, 26 m ago

This is a really misinformed comment it’s perfectly legal to change e …This is a really misinformed comment it’s perfectly legal to change existing switches and fittings as part of the regulations it’s deemed minor work and is pretty much the only task you are allowed to carry out without certification.

Carried out by a competent person, getting advise from a forum does not make one competent.
benrobertsno18 m ago

Wrong. Brown cables do not need identification if single phase,only when …Wrong. Brown cables do not need identification if single phase,only when used for 3phase black and grey.

Correct, but if you're planning on doing DIY with no electrical knowledge, it would help to know which cable is which
Q5: What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?The following types of work are non-notifiable:

• Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
  • Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1)
  • Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2)
  • Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3)
  • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4)
  • Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5) and consists of:
    - adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6)
    - adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6)

electrical.theiet.org/bui…cfm
scottmccubbin5 h, 29 m ago

Correct, but if you're planning on doing DIY with no electrical knowledge, …Correct, but if you're planning on doing DIY with no electrical knowledge, it would help to know which cable is which

At the risk of sounding obnoxious its what I do for a living and have had to sort out many 'diy' electricians work.
Understanding the basic layout... with 3 wires, this would appear to be a "ring on the switch" setup, instead of a "ring on the rose" setup.

3 Neutrals, commoned - the 2 ring circuit wires and the lamp.
3 Earths, commoned.
2 ring wire Live, commoned on L (move to common)
1 lamp Live on L1, move to L1

If those all tally, then that is what you are looking at. A "ring on the rose" would only have a single drop wire to the switch.
I here you can also move socket within aprx 30cm left or Right providing cable still travels vertically and a removal is allowed it’s if your adding a socket to current ring main. For the record I know nothing it’s just what I hear !
Edited by: "ASongOfFireAndIce" 20th Feb
ccnp22 h, 31 m ago

That’s why houses are fitted with trip switches. My current house had an issue where a cable burnt out and it tripped the switch. Last owner had done some dodgy wiring which burnt out. I rewired it using the correct cabling and it’s been signed off by an electrician so all good!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants