Groups

Richer Sounds - bizarre 'customer service'

I've always liked Richer Sounds. I must have spent thousands of quid in there over the years but yesterday I had an experience which is going to make me think twice about shopping there again.

I went in after work to pick up the Samsung 20" LCD tv I posted yesterday (http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/243357/samsung-20-hd-ready-lcd-sm2032mw-17/).
    I'd reserved it, and simply went in to pay and pick it up.

The guy I was dealing with seemed a bit perplexed that I was buying it.

"You know it's analogue only. No freeview"
    "That's fine. It's going with a freeview DVD recorder so that's not a problem."
    "Oh, OK. Hmmmm.... I've actually got a better TV for the same price."

This got me a little nervous. When purchasing things like this, I always like to do my research first, so I know when I'm handing over my cash, I'm confident I've got a good product and a good price. So the thought of buying something at this guy's recomendation was not at the top of my list. But I played along...

It was a Polaroid LCD TV. He claimed it was 'much better' than the Samsung, and even showed me how much 'better' it was than the far more expensive 28" and 32" models next to it. Yes, the picture quality was better, but the picture on the other's was dreadful, and I'm sure, no reflection on the actual product were I to take them home (they were all fuzzy, and out of focus, as if running of a poor internal ariel, whilst the Polaroid was running of a HD box, or DVD player, due to the HDMI cable).

I explained to the chap there was no way I was going to buy this without checking it out first, and I was keen on the Samsung.

Then the store manager piped up: "It's fine if you just want a computer screen, but the Polaaroid is a better TV".
    This made me lose my rag a little and I said I would leave it and come back tomorrow after I'd investigated the Polaroid.

Good job I did, because it's specs are inferior to the Samsung and Richer Sounds appear to be the only place in the UK that sells them... the penny drops.

I was very annoyed by this incident. As Is aid I've had nothing but good service from RS over the years, and always recommend them to friends, mainly because they don't bully you. They advise you but I've never once gone in to buy something and had the salesman try to talk me out of it.

As I result, they've lost a sale (I'm going to get a Tosh from Empire Direct instead), and possibly a customer for life.

32 Comments

It's a shame that some staff are a bit too pushy on sales of different products.
    Like you say they are the only one's who sell them so must get a bonus or an incentive for selling that specific make.

Fair play to buying from somewhere else :thumbsup:

Banned

yeah it really ****** me off when companies try and pawn off the exclusive sets or products as superior to other brands when they clearly arn't

Banned

LOL @ Polaroid being better than Sammy!

AS IF

am sure weve all experianced what you went through yesterday i always try and say something like my car ticket is running out i will sort come tommrow and bring a friend he might be intresrted aswell.
    suprsingly it works all the time and when they on the phone trying to offer mr deals i just say look my battery is running out so might just cut of and i do cut them off if they dont lol

i'd go in a give them a piece of my mind!!!

I'd just say, "We'll you buy it for me then if it's that good!"

Banned

khalifazed;2980091

am sure weve all experianced what you went through yesterday i always try … am sure weve all experianced what you went through yesterday i always try and say something like my car ticket is running out i will sort come tommrow and bring a friend he might be intresrted aswell.suprsingly it works all the time and when they on the phone trying to offer mr deals i just say look my battery is running out so might just cut of and i do cut them off if they dont lol

in my experience its much more fun to tell them you know there talking out of their **** and then just walk out...all these stores are the same in my experience, they all try and stump you with 'blah blah blah' when they in fact know nothing....ask them something that someone with actual knowledge would know...they havent a clue cause it wasnt on the info they have rehearsed or isnt on the product label....

I exchanged a few words with one of their sales assistants when he tried to push an expensive HDMI cable on me saying if i was spending the money on the tv then i will have wasted it using a cheap cable.

Banned

Titchimp;2980104

I exchanged a few words with one of their sales assistants when he tried … I exchanged a few words with one of their sales assistants when he tried to push an expensive HDMI cable on me saying if i was spending the money on the tv then i will have wasted it using a cheap cable.

had the same experience when I first bought my 360 and the guy tried to sell me this £15 HDMI cable that was made for Game...aggressive sales tactics, talking out of his ****...told him the quality was **** and I could use a cheapo one and get same result...want happy as the 2 other people buying them put them back lol

Original Poster

ODB_69;2980100

in my experience its much more fun to tell them you know there talking … in my experience its much more fun to tell them you know there talking out of their **** and then just walk out...all these stores are the same in my experience, they all try and stump you with 'blah blah blah' when they in fact know nothing....ask them something that someone with actual knowledge would know...they havent a clue cause it wasnt on the info they have rehearsed or isnt on the product label....

This is something I've done before in places like Currys. You say "Does it do this?" and they scan the card on the shelf and you know they know nothing.

I would have tried this, but I knew NOTHING abiout this Polaroid, and the card had no info on it, so he could have just lied to me and I would known no different

ODB_69;2980118

had the same experience when I first bought my 360 and the guy tried to … had the same experience when I first bought my 360 and the guy tried to sell me this £15 HDMI cable that was made for Game...aggressive sales tactics, talking out of his ****...told him the quality was **** and I could use a cheapo one and get same result...want happy as the 2 other people buying them put them back lol

I fully expected this in Gamestation when I bought my 360, but the guy was great and said 'take it home, decide what what extra stuff you want. I'm not gonna make you buy a load of cables and extras if you're not going to use them." and I really appreciated that.

Personally, I would contact the owner (Julian?) about this.
    While you may walk away, others won't, and will be sucked in by this poor practice.

Banned

Joe Scaramanga;2980127

I fully expected this in Gamestation when I bought my 360, but the guy … I fully expected this in Gamestation when I bought my 360, but the guy was great and said 'take it home, decide what what extra stuff you want. I'm not gonna make you buy a load of cables and extras if you're not going to use them." and I really appreciated that.

yh the manager is like that at our store, shes lovely, but it was the Assistant manager on that day...still, she gave me a discount for his attitude lol

Original Poster

thesaint;2980145

Personally, I would contact the owner (Julian?) about this. While you … Personally, I would contact the owner (Julian?) about this. While you may walk away, others won't, and will be sucked in by this poor practice.

I've just emailed them. He seems like the type of guy who may pay attention to something like this.

ODB_69;2980100

in my experience its much more fun to tell them you know there talking … in my experience its much more fun to tell them you know there talking out of their **** and then just walk out...all these stores are the same in my experience, they all try and stump you with 'blah blah blah' when they in fact know nothing....ask them something that someone with actual knowledge would know...they havent a clue cause it wasnt on the info they have rehearsed or isnt on the product label....

:thumbsup: yep i agree-i would have told him i was happy to take the 'inferior' samsung and as i was taking it off their hands they could discount it:p

Thanks for the heads up. It might be worth putting a comment on ]http//ww….uk
    to alert others who might use this store.

u r a good researcher...i would have succumbed uder the pressure from my own nervousness and bought the one theywere pushing only to come and complain about it later!

Unfortunately I've had this same experience the last twice I have gone into Richer Sounds (Brighton) so will never buy from them again.
    They used to be really excellent especially for customer service, Julian Richer has written a number of books on the subject! So I was really disappointed and having also been fobbed off with their pricematch policy by their manager, I prefer to buy elsewhere without the pressure of their salesforce.

Banned

cut out the kak and get a pioneer 424xd .. the dogs conkers

magicbeans;2980414

u r a good researcher...i would have succumbed uder the pressure from my … u r a good researcher...i would have succumbed uder the pressure from my own nervousness and bought the one theywere pushing only to come and complain about it later!

Thats why they do it lol

I dont get why you didnt just explain to him you didnt want no ****** polaroid you were there to get the samsung you reserved :thinking:

Original Poster

ZoLa__;2982198

Thats why they do it lolI dont get why you didnt just explain to him you … Thats why they do it lolI dont get why you didnt just explain to him you didnt want no ****** polaroid you were there to get the samsung you reserved :thinking:

Because I didn't know the Polaroid was inferior. There was very little spec info to hand

My partners grandmother has made some purchases from Richer Sounds (Southborough, near to Tunbridge Wells) simply cuz they're so laid back and never pushy. If this is the way they're playing from now on then I'll have to tip her off, because I've always resisted the urge to say "I can get you the same TV a few quid cheaper elsewhere" in the past as they've treated her so well.

Hope you get somewhere contacting the owner! And fantastic job not caving in to pressure. Repped.

Banned

Joe Scaramanga;2980183

I've just emailed them. He seems like the type of guy who may pay … I've just emailed them. He seems like the type of guy who may pay attention to something like this.

Let us know if you get a reply - I expect you might

Very odd - Richer have always been good, but your experience is pretty poor.

When I went in, they sold me the tv (2032 like you) and told me it was a very good choice!

it has a samsung panel in it as well, which means theres no way the Polaroid would be better.

lol exactly the same with me. i went in to buy a £600 sony lcd tv. i thought they would want to sell these but he tried selling me a cheaper one. i thought they would want to sell the more expensive tv but i found it weird. instead i went to a different branch and bought the 37" philips.

i went in last week to buy the Philips 37" and it wasn't on display. I asked for it (knowing it wasn't the best TV out there etc. but knowing it fitted exactly what I wanted) and I got a massive load of telling off for even considering that TV. I was then told he would sell it to me despite all that to which I told him he had lost a sale, he didn't try to sell me other TVs and specifically stated I should look at currys/comet/argos since they "follow their prices". I was perplexed. I ended up going elsehwere and getting a much better TV for a higher budget, but that's not the point is it?

He didn't seem to want to make a sale.

pghstochaj;2987437

He didn't seem to want to make a sale.

From reading what you are saying it sounds like he told you to go to currys etc to find out if its cheaper, if it is they match it ("follow"). He might just have felt bad about the cost of the tv. loll.

Original Poster

UPDATE:

Recieved an email back yesterday apologising for the service. They said they'd spoken to the store and the salesman had said he hadn't intend to strong arm me and apologised it that was the impression I got (it was...).

They have offered my some vouchers (didn't say how much).

I think I'll take them and try another RS branch (being in London I have a few to choose from).

Good result, I think. Lucky for them the TV I was going get yesterday was out of stock at Empire Direct

Original Poster

UPDATE:

Recieved an email back yesterday apologising for the service. They said they'd spoken to the store and the salesman had said he hadn't intend to strong arm me and apologised it that was the impression I got (it was...).

Joe Scaramanga;2988880

this is very much out of character for the store and the colleague … this is very much out of character for the store and the colleague concerned.

They have offered my some vouchers (didn't say how much).

I think I'll take them and try another RS branch (being in London I have a few to choose from).

Good result, I think. Lucky for them the TV I was going get yesterday was out of stock at Empire Direct

Name ans shame the store please was it the london bridge store ?

Original Poster

waterloo;2988929

Name ans shame the store please was it the london bridge store ?

It was Holborn

Joe Scaramanga;2989338

It was Holborn

I know the one, it's tiny ain it? What was the name of the salesman?

Original Poster

Abvance;2989353

I know the one, it's tiny ain it? What was the name of the salesman?

Didnt get his name, but I know he's been there for a few years

i went to the swiss cottage store and it was tiny. they had hardly any stock so i went to london city store and bought it from there.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523461
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …285997
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416814130
      4. What is there free to do in your town?611

See more discussions