Groups

Riddle me this 4

In the garage at the back of your house there are three boxes. One is labelled Apples another Oranges and the other Apples and Oranges. All you know is that all of the boxes are labelled wrong. How can you correctly re-label all the boxes if you are only allowed to take one fruit out of one of the boxes?

10 Comments

Smell them?

Take a fruit out of the box labelled as mixed. If it's an apple then that must be the apples box, the box labelled oranges must be the mixed box and the box labelled apples must be the oranges box. If you take out an orange then it's the other way round.

This relies on the fact that the lables are all definitely wrong.

just look in them, it doesnt say you cant look

Take a fruit out of the box marked Apples.

If it is an Apple, it must be a box of Apple and Oranges. The Box marked Oranges must be Apples and the box marked Apples and Oranges must be Apples.

If it's not an Apple, then it must be a box of oranges. The box of Oranges must be Apple and Oranges, and the box marked oranges must be Apple.

[ETA: Ooops, that's wrong :oops:]

nightswimmer;2057267

Take a fruit out of the box marked Apples. If it is an Apple, it must be … Take a fruit out of the box marked Apples. If it is an Apple, it must be a box of Apple and Oranges. The Box marked Oranges must be Apples and the box marked Apples and Oranges must be Apples.If it's not an Apple, then it must be a box of oranges. The box of Oranges must be Apple and Oranges, and the box marked oranges must be Apple.

Surely if it's an orange then it could be the mixed box?

mrsevans101;2057272

Surely if it's an orange then it could be the mixed box?

Yeah, I realised after seeing your answer. :oops:

Of course the big questions are a) why are they labelled wrong in the first place and b) why would you put apples and oranges together and c) wtf have you got three boxes of fruit in your garage for?

Original Poster

mrsevans101;2057253

Take a fruit out of the box labelled as mixed. If it's an apple then that … Take a fruit out of the box labelled as mixed. If it's an apple then that must be the apples box, the box labelled oranges must be the mixed box and the box labelled apples must be the oranges box. If you take out an orange then it's the other way round.This relies on the fact that the lables are all definitely wrong.

Correct, nice one :thumbsup:

Thanks. First one I've managed to answer!

Banned

mrsevans101;2057398

Thanks. First one I've managed to answer!

very quick too... good stuff
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      2. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions