Ridiculous Parking Ticket

Found 18th Feb 2015
I today got a non endorsable fixed penalty notice.
Why? - Well it states: RC86405 / Obstruction, waiting, and parking offences / Cause unnecessary obstruction of a highway.

Now this is a place I have parked for over 2 months. It is on the roadside yes, but not causing any obstructions. Traffic can still flow freely in both directions. There are no yellow road markings and there are no signs to stipulate that there are any parking restrictions.

Can they do this? It has baffled me beyond belief that this is a genuine offence committed?

I would like to hear your thoughts.

I did take pictures on the parked car before I moved it away.

King regards ya'll

Stuart
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
54 Comments
Upload the picture.
No lines or warning signs? Contest it for sure.
Was this on the hard shoulder of the M25?
Original Poster
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/dX55aTNTj8aUoZBzauH3AZmk11un8TUjenPN5nnKT4KLj7B27BYMKhsACcZAr8IBzctqfKOfr6m6rJSXKiLm-aTaog=w1406-h656

I am the Silver Zafira

Edited by moderator: "Added Pic" 18th Feb 2015
probably a rookie trying to meet his targets for the week!
It's difficult to see,but if there are white lines in the centre of the road, doesn't that indicate a hazard/junction?

gov.uk/gen…132

A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

Did the other car get a ticket?
Banned
Are you not parked on a pavement?
Hence you are obstructing pedestrians.
Good, you're one of the morons who blocks the pavement, full deserved.
Obstuction is basically common sense ,nothing to do with double yellow lines/ signs . You can be done almost anywhere if the parking is deemed to be unreasonable or unsafe to other highway users or pedestrians .
Theres a few round our area I'd like to see ticketed.
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Feb 2015
Parked on the pavement. Ticket will be valid.
Post the pic
As others have said, you are parked on the pavement. You haven't left space for disabled access.
parked on pavement not gonna win that
I can't see the pic. But I don't understand this whole parked on the pavement business. I have heard it is obstructing a public highway, but if I was at home I could walk round every block in a mile radius and every single car would be parked half on the pavement. The roads just aren't wide enough to park completely on the road. It would leave zero room for any passing traffic to get by. I've parked like this for the last ten years. Never got a ticket for it. I guess it's just the area when they pick and choose who to fine
And that is the main problem. Many drivers park on the pavement and because they don't get done, others who see this assume it is OK and allowed to park on pavements anywhere else.

Parking on the road in certain circumstances will cause minor annoyances to other drivers; they will have to slow down to give way to other drivers and in busy situations may even have to stop behind the parked vehicle until the oncoming traffic has stopped. In many cases the authorities will put down double yellow lines where they want to maintain traffic flow and/or where it would be unsafe to let vehicles park there.

But just because there are no yellow lines does not mean it is safe to park there. There is a huge list of places where it is unsafe to park - humpback bridges, brow of a hill, hairpin bend, junction, etc etc.

AND OF COURSE - you are not allowed to park full or half on a pavement. Pedestrians are road users also. Consider yourself lucky you have not been done for driving without due consideration to other users. Families with buggies and wheel chair owners deserve our consideration.
Original Poster
Yes 2 wheels on the pavement. Suppose on that basis I don't have a leg to stand on.
This is a pavement that is not suitable to used by pedestrians. It is a 10 yard stretch if that (I'd say 5 car lengths) and either end the pavement ends and goes onto direct roadside where your likely to be hit by a moving vehicle. on the opposite side there is pavement which is a continuous stretch. If you was to cross over to the pavement I have parked by you would need to cross back over again 10 seconds later!!
And yes the 1 other car also had a ticket.

dcx_badass - Moron you may call me however the only reason I park with wheels on the pavement is because the pavement isn't, nor is it suitable to be used by pedestrians as mentioned above
Some could argue that your one of those 'morons' that leaves pointless insults on an internet forum.
I agree that parking is nigh on impossible in some places without putting two wheels on the pavement, but the pavement is for pedestrians. Have a thought for the visually impaired and parents with double buggies. Seeing babies in prams being wheeled into the road because some prat has all but blocked the pavement makes my blood boil and I would slap a ticket on the offending vehicle (or tow it away) if I had the authority to do so.
Probably bang to rights but go to forums.pepipoo.com and try there. You never know, there is always ghe chance of a Procedural Impropriety
Edited by: "Some_Bloke" 18th Feb 2015
Didn't look like somewhere I would have driven to and thought it was an acceptable place to park.
As others have said it's the parking on the footpath is the problem, not the parking on the road.
dcx_badass

Good, you're one of the morons who blocks the pavement, full deserved.

Wheelchair users like myself agree,sick of inconsiderate morons like you!
sramsay

Yes 2 wheels on the pavement. Suppose on that basis I don't have a leg to … Yes 2 wheels on the pavement. Suppose on that basis I don't have a leg to stand on.This is a pavement that is not suitable to used by pedestrians. It is a 10 yard stretch if that (I'd say 5 car lengths) and either end the pavement ends and goes onto direct roadside where your likely to be hit by a moving vehicle. on the opposite side there is pavement which is a continuous stretch. If you was to cross over to the pavement I have parked by you would need to cross back over again 10 seconds later!!And yes the 1 other car also had a ticket.dcx_badass - Moron you may call me however the only reason I park with wheels on the pavement is because the pavement isn't, nor is it suitable to be used by pedestrians as mentioned aboveSome could argue that your one of those 'morons' that leaves pointless insults on an internet forum.

pedestrianliberation.org/201…nt/

bbc.co.uk/new…063

bbc.co.uk/new…630

As yet most councils (except London and one other) do not normally take action against parking on the pavement siting that there are insufficient laws to secure prosecution etc. That said current Disability Discrimination laws give them adequate power to do something yet still most councils don't.

I understand some people will vote me down as they think it's not illegal but if those "some people" had to use a mobility scooter or pushchair or were sight impaired then they wouldn't be so negative.

I'm fully sighted, I don't have a disability but I hate people parking on the pavement and yes there are people parking their cars on the pavement in my area but guess what - every (and I mean every) household has a carport (where at least 2 cars can be parked) and the estate has lay-bys for additional parking but most are rarely used and then those that have removed their carport to extend their garden or home have nowhere except the lay-bys to park but instead they'd sooner park on the pavement outside their home.

I'm hoping all councils will be forced to ban parking on the pavement (except in specified areas) and there's no excuses for the old terraced houses - you chose to live there/buy it you accept the consequences. A pavement is for pedestrians to safely travel from A to B without having the need to walk past obstructions caused by lazy inconsiderate drivers.

Edited by: "philphil61" 18th Feb 2015
Original Poster
raptorcigs

Wheelchair users like myself agree,sick of inconsiderate morons like you!

Clearly didnt read all I put.

:-/
Original Poster
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KKqkP1C4Kwbk5ymBlUcNcqYPnydyewaxnfX4Nh7KJuUsS8NcOwe5Npuu8GLRxcFXc_y2=w1406-h656
Edited by moderator: "Added Pic" 18th Feb 2015
OP's pics -
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/v2n6nKvQasAK6eXvh82pjHopGr9BrkwaC7-ez1LhT1ZSiPJi2mai4f50QxIEsueJ3q7uadVfXwM1uhAs9ngifmu1oAybfco2=w1896-h859
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/dJZushODrgli-tnee4r93NVs9Wm-bUI1d0i0No7Jf7SljvgTyNADSM2flsTw8rKwZZhrQhZxoOA=w1896-h859
sramsay

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1tMw3CH5-YYN25zUFY3ajJ4M3c/view?usp=sharing[/img]This is the entire stretch of pavement

How come I cant see the pics and they just show as 2 lines on my screen?
lianne21

How come I cant see the pics and they just show as 2 lines on my screen?

Right click and select view image

Alternatively
Click here
And here

For anyone wanting a bit more than the limited view the OP is giving here's the location to look properly.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.741667,-2.962564,3a,75y,120.5h,50.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLd0eaq3lLZQs1sgfNMq5iw!2e0

Appears to me to be a perfectly walkable piece of pathway before crossing at the dropped kerbs to the other side where the path runs for some considerable distance.

Considering there's a number of suitable places to park nearby it seems this ticket was issued with just cause.

Edited by: "Astec123" 18th Feb 2015
Good, get off the pavement
This is a strange one with parking on the pavement
Go into local towns and cars on the pavement outside shops every day
Came through bexhill tonight on the a259 and near the college was about 20 cars in a row half on the pavement
Ill assume they have had complaints hence you now getting a ticket
bubblegum2910

It's difficult to see,but if there are white lines in the centre of the … It's difficult to see,but if there are white lines in the centre of the road, doesn't that indicate a hazard/junction? https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lines-and-lane-markings-on-the-road-127-to-132127A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.Did the other car get a ticket?

There are broken white lines down most roads. As stated in your quote it is only when the gap between white lines shortens that there is a hazard, in the picture there are huge gaps between lines, so no hazard.
From the Highway Code;

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.
Law GL(GP)A sect 15
missleading

There appears to be a perfectly good car park behind that stretch of … There appears to be a perfectly good car park behind that stretch of road?Alternatively, if the OP had parked legally at that spot without having wheels on the pavement, would he not be causing an obstruction?

By causing obstruction, that in itself would deem the parking to be unsuitable / illegal.

Yes there does appear to be a perfectly suitable car park behind the chosen parking place, which in itself was probably part of the decision to issue the ticket, in the first place.
Edited by: "Inactive" 19th Feb 2015
Original Poster
The car park is permit only upto 6pm. And other parking areas within close proximity are restricted to 1 hour
Good! Hope the police step it up and issue more tickets to inconsiderate people like the OP who think they can park where they want with no thought to pedestrians, especially parents with young children, and the disabled.
there is nothing to contest, you are in the wrong = ticket issued.
You'll find better help on consumer advice group.
adhkarzf

You'll find better help on consumer advice group.

The OP blatantly broke the law, how is any community forum going to change that?
everyone saying the car is parked on the pavement is correct, don't know why they are downvoted though.
I have posted a paragraph from the Highway Code ( above ) for those that have obviously not bothered to read..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants